Altimeter Question

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 19th 08, 04:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Travis Marlatte

Default Altimeter Question

"Stefan" wrote in message
JGalban via AviationKB.com schrieb:

Understood about the flight levels, but how does one set QFE on an
altimeter on a high altitude airport? Most altimeters I've seen don't
have a
sufficient range in the Kollsman window to set anything above 3,000 ft.
or so.

If you can't, then you can't, simple as that. If you run out of kollsman
range (be it QFE or QNH on some extreme weather), then ask for the QNE,
that's what it is for.

I think the question was simpler than that.

The Kollsman setting is not the local atmospheric pressure. You're running
out of Kollsman setting because your just cranking the Kollsman down while
sitting at a low altitude airport.

The Kollsman setting is the calculated value such that your altimeter reads
zero feet at mean sea level. A high altitude airport is going to have a
setting within the same range.

{Totally a United States perspective. Forgive me if you have some completely
different technique for measuring your altitude above the planet}

--
Travis