Ipaq HX4700 Series

Old January 23rd 15, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
XXL

Default Ipaq HX4700 Series

On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 1:09:35 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 9:26:10 AM UTC-6, XXL wrote:
Thanks for the support on this. It seems to be down to the internal battery now, but those seem difficult to find as well - V6HR, but will look around for something today.

I do have a 3955 as well, but same issue - need a new battery for that. I've been too busy teaching the past year or two, and haven't had a chance to use my devices, but want to get them updated for the coming season, and use them with Condor.

Cheers,
Roderick

Rod, throw that 3955 as far as you can in the general direction of your trash can. I still have one too but just as a backup for my Avier. Buy one of those or an Oudie and you won't look back. I hated flying a final glide in contests trying to decipher what the IPAQ was not allowing me to see with the sun at the 'wrong' angle. The newer screens are so much better, it not even funny. IPAQ's time has come and gone.

Herb,

I agree, it probably does not make much sense to bring these things back to life, but want to figure out the best way to utilize what little space I have in the Libelle.

Cheers,
Roderick
Old January 23rd 15, 11:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Thu, 22 Jan 2015 20:55:38 -0800, XXL wrote:

I agree, it probably does not make much sense to bring these things back
to life, but want to figure out the best way to utilize what little
space I have in the Libelle.

Speaking as another Libelle driver, you want to look for a 3.5" or 4.2"
satnav - either will have a very similar screen size in a rather smaller
case. I just dug out my old (Binatone B350 and current (Medion S3747)
savnavs (PNA) and compared them with an iPAQ 3630. Here are the numbers.

Device screen case
------ ------ ----
iPaq 3630 3.5" 4.75"
Binatone B350 3.5" 4.75"
Medion S3747 3.8" 5.3" (7" in cradle)

All measurements are diagonal - the iPAQ is 6.5" high by 3.3" wide in its
cradle, while the Medion (slightly bigger than the Binatone) is 4.1" wide
by 3.2" high. The PNAs have similar mounts -a plastic claw that grips
them by the top and bottom and all at most 1/4" to the total height of
the unit. I made my mount by attaching the PNA's claw to the end of a
flexi stalk with an adapted I made up from 1/16" epoxy/glass plate. The
flexi-stalk is bent so the PNA is just under 4" in front of the panel. I
left the lower right corner free of instruments so the PNA doesn't hide
anything. Here's a picture of my panel with the Binatone B.350 fitted:
apart from the PNA swap this is exactly what I flew last year and will be
flying in 2015:

http://www.gregorie.org/gliding/libelle/FLARM_panel.jpg

Both these PNAs run WinCE 5, so the latest versions of XCSoar and LK8000
run on them. The Medion has the better screen: its a bright
transreflective one, so is really nice to read with the sun looking over
my shoulder.

HTH
Martin

G-AXZH http://www.gregorie.org/gliding/libelle/index.html

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old January 23rd 15, 12:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Roderick,

Just FYI, the overall size of the Oudie 2 is nearly identical to the overall
size of your iPAQ. The Oudie 2 and Oudie 2 Lite a 135 x 86 x 14 mm (5.3
x 3.4 x 0.55 inches) in size. Also, the Oudie2 doesn't need as large of a
cradle as some of the nice iPAQ cradles were. However, the Oudie 2's screen
is much larger and much, much, much easier to read in sunlight. It is also
supplied with a power/data cable and adapters for connection to most soaring
flight instruments. If you are using a RAM or gooseneck arm to mount your
iPAQ in the glider, I have a $12 adapter which can be used to connect the
Oudie's cradle to a RAM or RAM-GN3-238 diamond shaped gooseneck adapter.
The Oudie 2 has been extremely popular. If you buy one, you won't regret
it. They are $375 for the Oudie 2 Lite and $625 for the Oudie 2 with SeeYou
Mobile Lifetime License for Oudie.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/seeyou.htm

I also have a good deal on a new Oudie 2 which is 1.5 years old. It is
supplied with SeeYou Mobile Lifetime License for $525 ($100 off). It has
never been used - other than software upgrades by me. I'm selling it at a
discount because it is not quite the latest hardware version - so it may not
be quite as fast or quite as power efficient as the current Oudie 2 units.
It comes with all the standard accessories and in its original box.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old January 23rd 15, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Might I suggest a Streak 5 and XCSoar. The market varies but some days
you can get the entire kit for $100.

Old January 23rd 15, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
XXL

On Friday, January 23, 2015 at 5:33:33 AM UTC-6, Martin Gregorie wrote:
[...]

Hi Martin,

Looks very promising, and does fit your panel very well. Thank you for the details and photos.

Best regards,
Roderick
Old January 23rd 15, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
XXL

Paul,

Also a great idea. As you know I've been using the Cambridge software since its inception, and it worked well with my 302. However, over the years I've had more and more problems with the PDAs, and think it' finally time to make a change, one that is both economical and something that will be around for years.

I have SeeYouMobile - the main reason I was looking to get the iPAQs up and running, but an Oudie 2 or the Binatone may be the better way to go.

I'll be in touch late next week.

Cheers,
Roderick
Old January 23rd 15, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Roderick,

One major advantage to the Oudie2 solution is the included cabling and
cradle. You can spend a lot of money on cables or BlueTooth modules for the
"low cost" PNA devices. The Oudie 2 is supplied with a nice power/data
cable and configurable adapters and a nice basic cradle.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
_____________________________________

Old January 23rd 15, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Yup, what Paul said.

I bought a brand new Streak for $100 and XCSoar was free but the
Bluetooth module and cable added at least $300 to the package.

Dan

Old January 23rd 15, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Let me again suggest using a Kobo mini e-reader running XCSoar. The screen is black and white but is very readable in sunlight. You can make one up for $100 or a little more if you can't make the internal connections yourself.

I have made six of these for myself and other club members. Not as high end as the commercial products, but way better than any Ipag.

Directions are on the web, this one is a good starting point.

http://www.50k-or-bust.com/Kobo%20XC...Notes%2001.pdf

Gary
Old January 23rd 15, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
XXL

Dan, I have not heard about Streak, but will look into it. I have used the Nexus in the Dimona I use for instruction, but that device is too large for the Libelle.

Cheers,
Roderick

Volkslogger to HP IPAQ hx4700 Connection RN Soaring 0 February 17th 12 05:57 PM
Ipaq HX4700 for sale 8H Soaring 0 June 8th 10 06:28 PM
HP iPaq hx4700 issues GK[_1_] Soaring 3 January 4th 08 07:39 PM
For Sale: IN THE COCKPIT VHS VIDEO SERIES - 6 Tape Series [email protected] Aviation Marketplace 0 November 2nd 06 04:12 PM
Ancient Service Bulletin on Converting Continental A-Series and C-Series Engines to Higher Horsepower: 65 to 75HP, Etc. jls Home Built 0 February 21st 05 04:36 PM