Hypothetical Scenario #3 - Urgent Action required!

Old February 9th 14, 11:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU

Default Hypothetical Scenario #3 - Urgent Action required!

You passenger is all buckled up in the sailplane, and you have pushed out onto the runway. The tow plane has pulled up in front of you and is ready to go. Just before you get into the glider yourself, you feel a little fart coming on. To save the passenger from the noxious fumes, you decide to squeak it out betore getting in, but when you do, what come out is more than just gas. What do you do now?

Boggs
Old February 9th 14, 11:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU

Because my butt is covered in a very thick fur, I thought that I could maintain containment, so I got in the front seat of my 2-32 and proceeded with my take off check list. As I closed and locked the canopy, I tested the air for any evidence of my leakage. So far I think I'm safe. Take off was smooth, but I was surprised at how hard it was to concentrate on my flying. I was distracted and I could feel the containment plan failing, but the ride was uneventful and the landing was ok. During the exit from the plane I was careful to keep the passerger in front of me. My house is right across the street from the airport so I was able to shower and change before the next ride. Never trust a fart!
Old February 9th 14, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

I'd like to think that I would pull the glider off the line, excuse myself and remedy the situation. But to avoid embarrassment, I might hop in the glider and fly with the distraction. Would I be proud of that decision? Probably not.

My urge to minimize my embarrassment makes me less safe.

I contemplate doing the following as a self-training exercise on a not_so_busy_day:

1)pull the release as the tow plane is taking up the slack.
2)get out and pull the glider off the line.
3)provide no explanation to on-lookers.
4)learn that being embarrassed on the launch line is not the end of the world.
5)learn that one does not need to explain a decision to not launch.
6)learn that one should not hesitate to abort a launch.
7)if I feel excessively embarrassed by 1-3, or if someone gives me flack, plan to repeat at some future date.

A few days later, I would explain to the tow pilot that I am training myself to not hesitate to abort launch.

Old February 9th 14, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Clay[_4_]

At least you weren't filming the Aviator's segment!
Old February 11th 14, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU

Well, I thought at least a few of you might have thought this was funny?

Boggs
Old February 11th 14, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

On Monday, February 10, 2014 7:48:18 PM UTC-8, Waveguru wrote:
Well, I thought at least a few of you might have thought this was funny?

Boggs

Its funny Gary, but not as good as your card tricks!
JJ
Old February 11th 14, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

On Monday, February 10, 2014 9:48:18 PM UTC-6, Waveguru wrote:
Well, I thought at least a few of you might have thought this was funny?

Boggs

Well, give me a moment. I'm still blowing what's left of my soda out of my sinuses and trying to clean up my keyboard.
Old February 11th 14, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

On Sunday, February 9, 2014 5:49:50 AM UTC-6, Waveguru wrote:

Never trust a fart!

So said one of my late colleagues. He had a number of stories and sayings concerning his considerable issues with lower bowel (dys)function. He was frequently heard to say: "I was so loose, I could crap through a screen door and not hit the screen". I declined to fly in his Warrior with him.
Old February 11th 14, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, February 10, 2014 10:48:18 PM UTC-5, Waveguru wrote:
Well, I thought at least a few of you might have thought this was funny? Boggs

Easily the most enlightening thread in the series.
UH
Old February 11th 14, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Calvert[_2_]

At 03:48 11 February 2014, Waveguru wrote:
Well, I thought at least a few of you might have thought this was

funny?

Boggs

I sure did!