Removing Old Contest Numbers

Old November 23rd 03, 05:19 PM
Milan Air

Default Removing Old Contest Numbers

Hi everyone,

some time ago I read a very detailed article on removing old contest
numbers from a fiberglass glider. Now that I need it I can't locate
it.
Does anyone know where that article was posted ?

Thanks for your inputs and help.

Best regards,

Milan.
Old November 23rd 03, 08:26 PM
Judy Ruprecht

At 17:30 23 November 2003, Milan Air asked for help
finding an article on removing old contest numbers...

RAS readers were kind enough to tackle this and a related
question about rubbing compound back on March 20,2003.
Searching on 'contest number,' the rec.aviation.soaring
archive link on the Glider Pilot Network can take you
to these suggestions.

FWIW: Lacquer thinner worked for me, so although I
did not find Gary Evans sanding advice necessary, I
firmly believe the case of beer he suggested is an
integral part of any project.... asuming, of course,
it's reserved for the post-project celebration.

Judy
(hic!)

Old November 24th 03, 07:08 PM
Wallace Berry

In article ,
Judy Ruprecht wrote:

At 17:30 23 November 2003, Milan Air asked for help
finding an article on removing old contest numbers...

RAS readers were kind enough to tackle this and a related
question about rubbing compound back on March 20,2003.
Searching on 'contest number,' the rec.aviation.soaring
archive link on the Glider Pilot Network can take you
to these suggestions.

FWIW: Lacquer thinner worked for me, so although I
did not find Gary Evans sanding advice necessary, I
firmly believe the case of beer he suggested is an
integral part of any project.... asuming, of course,
it's reserved for the post-project celebration.

Judy
(hic!)

I've removed factory painted on numbers from a couple of Libelles.
Laquer thinner works, but it is actually the acetone component of laquer
thinner that does the job. Straight acetone actually works a lot better
than the laquer thinner and is cheaper and less toxic.
Old November 24th 03, 08:12 PM
Greg Arnold

I recently removed contest numbers. First I used acetone, which worked
OK. Then I used lacquer thinner, which worked better.

Old November 24th 03, 09:26 PM
Nolaminar

There are different grades of lacquer thinner.
The general hardware store variety is not as strong as available from paint
stores.
Probably same is true with acetone.
If the numbers are painted on, acetone works well.
Vinyl can peel off if it is less than a year old. If older, they can
sometimes be warmed and softened with hairdryer and then peeled.
GA
GA
Old November 25th 03, 12:59 AM
Milan Air

Wallace Berry wrote in message ...
In article ,
Judy Ruprecht wrote:

At 17:30 23 November 2003, Milan Air asked for help
finding an article on removing old contest numbers...

RAS readers were kind enough to tackle this and a related
question about rubbing compound back on March 20,2003.

Thank You for your reply and advice. This is my first time using
Google and I just realized that I can do a search per various topicks.
As far as the beer goes I prefer the good European stuff

Cheers,

Milan.