OLC Direct Claim with cai2igc.exe

Old May 10th 07, 11:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rick Fuller

Default OLC Direct Claim with cai2igc.exe

I use a Cambridge Model 10 logger. I successfully
used StrePla 3.5 in 2006 to claim OLC flights. I'm
reluctant to upgrade StrePla for 69 EUR just to be
able to do the same thing I did last year. I have
used the cai2igc.exe file to convert my .cai files
to .igc with OLC's help and STILL cannot get a valid
claim. This is not rocket science for me, but very
frustrating.

Can anyone on RAS provide some advice or tell me what
I'm doing wrong? The command I use is the recommended
DOS command cai2igc xxxxxx.cai xxxxxxxx.igc. For the
record I use the command prompt in Windows XP SP1.

Many thanks for any help RAS lurkers can provide.

Rick

Old May 10th 07, 11:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mal[_3_]

Rick OLC changed website servers around Easter.

http://www.narromineglidingclub.com.au/

Use the OLC quick claim link.

Your software is tring to post your file to the old website.

Old May 10th 07, 12:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rick Fuller

Mal,

I posted to www3..... and it appears on BOTH web sites
as invalid. Am I missing something?

Rick

Old May 10th 07, 01:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZL

Rick Fuller wrote:
I use a Cambridge Model 10 logger. I successfully
used StrePla 3.5 in 2006 to claim OLC flights. I'm
reluctant to upgrade StrePla for 69 EUR just to be
able to do the same thing I did last year. I have
used the cai2igc.exe file to convert my .cai files
to .igc with OLC's help and STILL cannot get a valid
claim. This is not rocket science for me, but very
frustrating.

Can anyone on RAS provide some advice or tell me what
I'm doing wrong? The command I use is the recommended
DOS command cai2igc xxxxxx.cai xxxxxxxx.igc. For the
record I use the command prompt in Windows XP SP1.

Many thanks for any help RAS lurkers can provide.

Rick

Rick,
You need to use the "correct" version of conv-cam.exe (v2.0.2) to
initially create the *.igc file. That is available from the IGC page at
http://www.fai.org/gliding/gnss/freeware.asp
From your log files, you used the CAI PC Software V5.884 to create the
igc file before running cai2igc on it. That would not pass the OLC
validation check last year, and it appears it still won't.

The steps:
1.Download cai file from logger
2.Run conv-cam.exe on that cai file - generates an igc file
3.Run cai2igc.exe on cai and igc file - appends ascii encoded cai file
onto the end of your igc file
4.submit final igc file to olc via web interface

There is a nice little free tool that automates the process of
generating the igc file for the olc from your cai file. I have not tried
it yet this year, but its worth a try.

http://www.abqsoaring.org/misc_files/CAI_fix.htm

You might also check whether your old version of Strepla can generate
the igc file from the cai file and let you manually upload it via the
web interface.

Good luck.

-Dave Leonard
Old May 10th 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rick Fuller

Thanks for all the suggestions. If I have a chance
to try them this weekend, I'll report back.

Rick

At 12:30 10 May 2007, Zl wrote:
Rick Fuller wrote:
[...]

From your log files, you used the CAI PC Software
V5.884 to create the

Old May 10th 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rick Fuller

At 12:30 10 May 2007, Zl wrote:
Rick Fuller wrote:
[...]

From your log files, you used the CAI PC Software
V5.884 to create the

Old May 11th 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stewart Kissel

Has anyone out there in RAS-land used Ekdahl's neat
utility this year from a Cambridge 10 or 20? If so
can you update us please? Why do I have the sinking
feeling that we may have to reinvent the wheel again
to upload from our 'legacy' loggers. And no, I am
not interested in upgrading my logger.

Old May 11th 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Kinsell

Stewart Kissel wrote:
Has anyone out there in RAS-land used Ekdahl's neat
utility this year from a Cambridge 10 or 20? If so
can you update us please? Why do I have the sinking
feeling that we may have to reinvent the wheel again
to upload from our 'legacy' loggers. And no, I am
not interested in upgrading my logger.

Don't think there's any re-inventing required this year,
at least for the legacy Cambridge loggers. An old version
of SeeYou with OLC patches creates the munged up IGC
file format that works, same as last year. I would expect
Eckdahl's utility to work the same also.

People having problems submitting claims should run the
vali-cam utility on the .cai files, to make sure they're
getting good downloads.

-Dave

Old May 12th 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
danlj

On May 10, 7:26 am, ZL wrote:
Rick Fuller wrote:
I use a Cambridge Model 10 logger. ...clip...
Can anyone on RAS provide some advice or tell me what
I'm doing wrong? ...clip...

Rick,
You need to use the "correct" version of conv-cam.exe (v2.0.2) to
initially create the *.igc file. That is available from the IGC page athttp://www.fai.org/gliding/gnss/freeware.asp
From your log files, you used the CAI PC Software V5.884 to create the
igc file before running cai2igc on it. That would not pass the OLC
validation check last year, and it appears it still won't.

The steps:
1.Download cai file from logger
2.Run conv-cam.exe on that cai file - generates an igc file
3.Run cai2igc.exe on cai and igc file - appends ascii encoded cai file
onto the end of your igc file
4.submit final igc file to olc via web interface

There is a nice little free tool that automates the process of
generating the igc file for the olc from your cai file

http://www.abqsoaring.org/misc_files/CAI_fix.htm ...clip....

-Dave Leonard

Dear Dave,

Thank you very much for posting this information! It's been a
frustrating 3 years for me with OLC. For 2 years I tried simply to
upload flights from SeeYou, and was never successful. It seemed too
burdensome to troubleshoot, here all alone in the woods with no one to
look over my shoulder and identify which simple error out of 10,000
possible errors was at fault. Then this year I attended the SeeYou
tutorial at SSA2007 and found that I needed to upgrade the software.

Well, this didn't work, and the upgraded software is incompatible with
my laptop's video card to boot, but with the new OLC front-end, direct
upload was easier to find, and the fact that the files had to be
in .igc format seemed helpful. So I used the Cambridge DOS utility to
convert. But each try was 'invalid' and the 3rd kept getting
deleted. Finally your post contained the answer.

Uploading is still slightly tedious, but at least now it's possible.
Bring the Cambridge 25 home from the glider, plug into the back of the
DOS computer, upload the file; then re-boot the computer to Linux,
email the file to my Windoze computer, save it there, convert to .igc
with cai2igc4olc.exe, log in to OLC, and upload. Easy. Well,
feasible.

Now that one miracle has occurred, let me try for 2 more...

A:
Anyone know why the .igc file from my Ilec SN-10 won't validate?

B:
Now... if anyone knows a link to cambridge software that runs on
windoze, this process will be even faster! I certainly can't find
anything at the Cambridge web site...

Thanks for making the possible!

dan johnson

OLC Direct Claim with cai2igc.exe Rick Fuller Soaring 2 May 15th 07 11:11 PM
Quick Claim OLC Mal[_3_] Soaring 1 April 14th 07 11:29 AM
AMAZING OLC CLAIM [email protected] Soaring 6 March 1st 07 04:15 AM
SSA OLC Region for Flight Claim Jack Soaring 35 July 23rd 06 07:15 PM
PZL 62 Aircraft Claim robert arndt Military Aviation 10 January 8th 04 09:47 PM