Cambridge Aero Explorer

Old May 9th 04, 06:04 PM
Roy Bourgeois

Default Cambridge Aero Explorer

I am using an old version of CAE to view flights from
my 302/Compaq 1500. Yesterday (first flight this year)
all flight data was correct in the 1500 card but upon
transfer and display in CAE it shows the flight as
May 8 1994 - not 2004. No such problem last year.
Is this fixable? - or do I just take CAE outside and
shoot it?

TIA

Roy B.

Old May 9th 04, 06:54 PM
Mark Zivley

Plan B - take CAE and shoot it. Make an investment in SeeYou or
something similar with some actual support and development going on.
Reality is that CAI is so far behind the curve in software like this
that there is no incentive for them to try to catch up.

Old May 9th 04, 08:26 PM
Bob Salvo

Roy, it might fix itself. Mine did something similar in March, then worked OK
a little later.

Bob
Bob
Old May 10th 04, 06:35 AM
R Barry

Mine did the same thing every flight I've had this year shows 1994 as
the year of flight. I called Cambridge about a month ago and they
told me it's some kinda glitch.
Old May 10th 04, 04:52 PM
Paul Remde

Hi,

I think the problem is in the file name format specified by the IGC. The
year is represented by only a single digit so it rolls over every 10 years.
The CAI software apparently didn't take that into account as perfectly as it
could have. The free CAI program was written some time ago. I don't think
it's fair to be so hard on CAI for this issue. They are doing a great job
shipping and supporting 302 and 302A units this year.

I agree with some of the other posters that CAI probably shouldn't spend any
money updating their free utility since both StrePla and SeeYou are so much
more powerful than the CAI free software utility. They can both connect
directly to the 302 and download secure flight logs.

Did I mention that the CAI utility is free... I think it's a good value and
can be used to download and view flights. I prefer StrePla I think it is
worth much more than the $160 I charge for it.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring Supplies
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

Old May 11th 04, 05:09 AM
Andy Durbin

Roy Bourgeois wrote in message ...
I am using an old version of CAE to view flights from
my 302/Compaq 1500. Yesterday (first flight this year)
all flight data was correct in the 1500 card but upon
transfer and display in CAE it shows the flight as
May 8 1994 - not 2004. No such problem last year.
Is this fixable? - or do I just take CAE outside and
shoot it?

TIA

Roy B.

CAE file selection "explorer" interprets the igc filename and includes
that information in the file directory before the file is opened for
viewing. All my flights for 2004 are identified as 1994. When the
file is opened the correct date is displayed. As pointed in another
10 years. CAE could extract the real date before displaying the file
selection window as it does extract the pilot name for display in the
file lists.

SeeYou does not attempt to interpret the file name and just presents
the plain IGC file name in a standard Windows Explorer file select
window. (File/Open)

I find the CAE file information useful. It far easier to pick a flight
by pilot name that to try to maintain a list of who owns what recorder
serial number. The file date problem is easily overcome by storing
files in individual directories named for the year of the flights.
CAI\flights\2004 etc.

Cambridge abandoned CAE several years ago when they chose not to
market an improved version of Explorer even thought it was fully
developed and ready for release. I very much doubt they will fix this
problem as it is a glitch in a feature that does not seem to be
offered by other popular analysis software.

Andy
Old May 11th 04, 05:31 AM
Michael McNulty

"Andy Durbin" wrote in message
snip
SeeYou does not attempt to interpret the file name and just presents
the plain IGC file name in a standard Windows Explorer file select
window. (File/Open)

snip
Andy

Not true. With SeeYou ver. 2.7 with Windows XP (at least), if you highlight
an IGC file in the file/open window, the pane on the right gives the flight
date, flight duration, pilot name, glider type, registration number, and
task details. All without opening the file.

Old May 11th 04, 03:05 PM
Tony Verhulst

....With SeeYou ver. 2.7 with Windows XP (at least), if you highlight
an IGC file in the file/open window, the pane on the right gives the flight
date, flight duration, pilot name, glider type, registration number, and
task details. All without opening the file.

I know this is off track but.... The information described above is
contained within the file itself and the only way to access file data is
to open it and then read it. You can't read without opening first. I
develop operating systems for a living (though not windows, God forbid)
so my concept of opening a file may be different from yours.

Tony V.

Old May 11th 04, 03:55 PM
Eric Greenwell

Tony Verhulst wrote:
....With SeeYou ver. 2.7 with Windows XP (at least), if you highlight

an IGC file in the file/open window, the pane on the right gives the
flight
date, flight duration, pilot name, glider type, registration number, and
task details. All without opening the file.

I know this is off track but.... The information described above is
contained within the file itself and the only way to access file data is
to open it and then read it. You can't read without opening first. I
develop operating systems for a living (though not windows, God forbid)
so my concept of opening a file may be different from yours.

What Michael means is the user doesn't open the file in the usual sense,
but sees the information just by selecting the file. The "open" by
SeeYou is hidden and far quicker than the full loading of the file.

SeeYou does have a Search feature that lets you find files by pilot,
date, etc., which can be useful, but isn't quite the same as seeing the
info you want in the file listing.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA