Transponder Antenna & Battery Placement Nimbus or DUO

Old February 19th 09, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Transponder Antenna & Battery Placement Nimbus or DUO

Looking for some suggestions on location of Transponder antenna from
people who have them mounted on their Nimbus or DUO.

Looking for area for placement of a 3rd Battery. Do you have a
location that works well?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
Mark Mahan
2K
Old February 19th 09, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Feb 18, 7:06*pm, wrote:
Looking for some suggestions on location of Transponder antenna from
people who have them mounted on their Nimbus or DUO.

Looking for area for placement of a 3rd Battery. Do you have a
location that works well?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
Mark Mahan
2K

Is there a reason why you don't follow the factory TN showing a
location and correct mounting/groundplane installation.

Darryl
Old February 19th 09, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

If you don't like the factory-suggested antenna location, I know a
couple have located it on the turtle deck on the fuselage above the
wing.

Mike

Old February 19th 09, 10:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Big Wings

For Nimbus 3T & 4T see TN 825-44/831-12/863-17/868-16 (a single TN but the
numbers indicate different gliders to which it applies) This allows
transponder antenna on upper fusalage. There is a different TN for Nimbus
& Duo with antenna on underside of fusalage.

Old February 19th 09, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Darryl,
I am aware of the factory TN.

Looking to see if anyone had a solution other than an external
antenna.

Hate external antennas on Composite aircraft. Having worked on a lot
of homebuilts, thought someone else might have come up with an
alternative mount.

No harm in asking.
Thanks,
Mark
Old February 19th 09, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Cordell

I have placed a Blade antenna on the top of the turtle deck as far
back as I can reach. This is about even with the trailing edge of
the wing on my Nimbus 3D. I consulted a neighbor who works in an
Avionics division of a local aerospace company. His comment was the
placement wouldn’t matter much as there is always some angle to the
interrogating station.

I have placed a third battery on board solely to power the
transponder. There is a Battery mount forward and to the right of
the box that the landing gear retracts into. This is accessed by
removing the panel behind the rear seat back.

Hope this helps.

Paul Cordell
Scottsdale Az

PS - Eric Greenwell has produced a document regarding transponders.
He's used a photo of my antenna mount. Maybe he can provide a link to
the document.
Old February 19th 09, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Feb 19, 9:25*am, wrote:
Darryl,
I am aware of the factory TN.

Looking to see if anyone had a solution other than an external
antenna.

Hate external antennas on Composite aircraft. Having worked on a lot
of homebuilts, thought someone else might have come up with an
alternative mount.

No harm in asking.
Thanks,
Mark

I think anywhere you'd want to put an antenna is carbon, so it is
going on the outside. Parts of the forward fueslage may be RF
transparent but you have no space to put an antenna in there and have
a proper ground plane and not expose yourself to excessive RF etc.

My preference would be below the fuselage if a TN allows this.

Darryl
Old February 19th 09, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Feb 19, 10:25*am, wrote:

Hate external antennas on Composite aircraft. Having worked on a lot
of homebuilts, thought someone else might have come up with an
alternative mount.

I won't help solve your problem but I noted that the Schleicher
ASH31Mi will have a transponder antenna mounted inside the fin as
standard equipment.

Andy
Old February 19th 09, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

I ordered my ASG-29 pre-wired for a transponder (including antenna)
and was surprised to get a metal external antenna near the main gear
instead of inside the fin. If nothing else I could have used the
additional weight in the tail!

2NO
Old February 20th 09, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Feb 19, 2:55*pm, Tuno wrote:
I ordered my ASG-29 pre-wired for a transponder (including antenna)
and was surprised to get a metal external antenna near the main gear
instead of inside the fin. If nothing else I could have used the
additional weight in the tail!

2NO

The ASH-31Mi is the first glider I have noticed Schleicher have
offered this on. Did they ever talk about it being an option on the
ASG-29?

I'm curious what is inside the fin and how well this will work in
practice.

Darryl

Transponder Antenna Rick Fuller Soaring 6 January 30th 08 06:03 PM
VHF & Transponder antenna Steve Home Built 1 December 6th 04 04:29 PM
Nav Antenna Placement Jim Pensinger Home Built 7 October 4th 04 09:55 PM
Oil on transponder antenna Bob Owning 12 May 9th 04 08:59 PM
Transponder and antenna Paolo Soaring 1 March 6th 04 03:32 AM