Is this plane flying just with this tiny propeller?

Old August 20th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Is this plane flying just with this tiny propeller?

Looks like a tiny propeller. How can it make a big plane like that fly
to such a height?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=216D3WvspN0

Old August 20th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
quietguy

Pause the video and you'll see that the propeller is normal-sized.

Old August 20th 06, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

quietguy wrote:
Pause the video and you'll see that the propeller is normal-sized.

I find it amazing how a tiny thing can carry a plane.

Old August 20th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bill Daniels

"J.Kahn" wrote in message
quietguy wrote:
Pause the video and you'll see that the propeller is normal-sized.

I find it amazing how a tiny thing can carry a plane.

As an ex jumper all I can say is what an insanely dangerous and
irresponsible stunt that was. Truly nuts.

John

I hear that!

A couple of interesting things was the drogue 'chute used to lower the
terminal dive velosity of the Cessna to match that of the skydiver and that
the drogue could be jettisoned in the dive without, apparently, exceeding
the Vne of the aircraft. I do wonder if the engine starved for oil
presssure since the pickup in the sump was probably unported.

My guess is that the Cessna was also used as a glider tug and therefore had
a tow hook on the tail. The pilot probably just threw the drogue out the
door to deploy it.

The prop, as in the case of most light aircraft, is much smaller than
optimal for the speed range. This is due to the desire for direct drive
engines and not have gear legs so tall that entering the aircraft would
require a ladder. A big, low RPM prop, however, would require much less HP
for the same performance. If Avgas prices continue to rise, I predict
geared props will become even more popular.

Bill

Old August 21st 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

wrote in message
oups.com...

quietguy wrote:
Pause the video and you'll see that the propeller is normal-sized.

I find it amazing how a tiny thing can carry a plane.

Actually, it can not. Fortunately, the wings can and do.

Peter
Two days of restraint, until I ran out. :-(