Reducing collision hazard at contests

Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Default Reducing collision hazard at contests

On Monday, May 21, 2018 at 10:12:47 AM UTC-7, Henning Pedersen wrote:
It is called a flarm. We have it all The Club planes and most of The private planes. (Øsf. Denmark)

Flarm is fantastic. It's widely adopted in the US now too. My own guess is that Flarm is preventing about half of the collisions at contests where everyone has it.

Doesn't that leave plenty enough collision hazard to motivate this discussion and plenty enough reason to continue trying to fix the problem?
Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]

When ever I see something about safety (really "how to survive feeding my Sailplane addiction) I usually read most of the posts until they go of subject.

In this case (while trying to rationalize hwy I am doing contests) I decided to google it.... "cause of glider accidents" just as a fact finding mission. Try it..... pretty interesting

http://www.airsailing.org/downloads/...ion%20R24B.pdf

I have a FLARM - a transponder - thinking about putting a stob into the vertical.... would probably paint the glider hot pink if some one proved it avoided a collision

The question is " will rule changes add significantly to safety, REALLY - or get us to the point where the sport is no longer enjoyable" - I know this is a very serious subject and even one collision is one to many - but - many of the suggestions seriously affect the core concepts of the sport and make an already difficult sport to score and follow, even harder.

The newest concept in Sailplane racing "Grand Prix" is in a totally different direction from most of the posts I have read in this thread.

Seems to me to be a measure twice cut once issue - the unintended consequences need to be thought about.

WH

Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
andrzop

On Monday, May 21, 2018 at 19:47:15 UTC+2, Steve Koerner wrote:

Flarm is fantastic. ...

Really? In recent years collided only gliders equipped with Flarm. Whether the global number of collisions has decreased in comparison to the period before Flarm? Flarm causes gaggles and causes a false belief that the pilot is safe.
Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

On Monday, May 21, 2018 at 11:31:44 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Hey WH: Like you, I keep a bucket of cold water at hand for new rule ideas that come up on RAS -- most are not good ideas. But surely you'll agree that every now and then it's possible that an idea might arise that is sensible. So let's be specific here, if that is possible. Please reread Alex's May 16 post and my May 19 post above and think on whether or not that particular suggestion might be worthwhile for contest safety and whether that suggestion would damage enjoyment. For myself, I think playing start gate roulette and flying in huge gaggles is not really so enjoyable that it deserves to be preserved in the sport on that basis.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Reducing PPG Concept Urethane [email protected] Soaring 23 January 28th 16 09:33 AM
Reducing canopy glare caused by instrument face reflections. [email protected] Soaring 1 November 11th 13 09:22 PM
Reducing Fuel use and Increasing your car speed with FFI MPG-CAPS sexy girl Piloting 0 February 23rd 08 05:47 AM
Mexico hazard Rich S. Home Built 4 January 9th 06 10:42 PM
Reducing the Accident Rate Snowbird Piloting 92 July 22nd 04 01:31 PM