Seeking Komet Trailer Axle

Old May 30th 12, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Henis

Default Seeking Komet Trailer Axle

I am seeking a relacement axle for a Komet III trailer (year-1978 - 850
kg).

As is the case with many Komet Trailers of this age, the Torsion component
of the axle on one side has failed and while it is OK for short retrieves,
it will soon have to go on at least quite long trip - - and perhaps
several

I have talked with Harold Ennulat and he suggests that I see if a good axle
is available here before ordering one from Germany.

Thanks

MARC H (BD)

Old May 30th 12, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Tuesday, May 29, 2012 8:15:44 PM UTC-5, Marc Henis wrote:
I am seeking a relacement axle for a Komet III trailer (year-1978 - 850
kg).

As is the case with many Komet Trailers of this age, the Torsion component
of the axle on one side has failed and while it is OK for short retrieves,
it will soon have to go on at least quite long trip - - and perhaps
several

I have talked with Harold Ennulat and he suggests that I see if a good axle
is available here before ordering one from Germany.

Thanks

MARC H (BD)

Marc,

The Komet (similar vintage, same weight rating) that I just bought had the axle recently replaced with a 2000 lb torflex axle. After 1000 miles bringing it home I can say that it tows very nicely
Old May 30th 12, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

We also replaced our Komet axle, as well as the tongue with all US components. The axle is a 3500
lb Dexter Torflex. The Euro tongue was shot, so was sawed off and replaced with a surge brake
component. The brakes work with the surge just fine. The original parking brake handle was rigged to be able to set the parking brakes, and the cable for the emergency brake pretty much works like the original. Beauty of the system is that parts can be replaced in Anytown, USA. Have towed over 5000 miles with the new setup and it does fine. Also new brakes, wheels and tires. Local trailer fabricator did it for us for a total of around $1800. Very satisfied with the result.

Linwood
Old May 30th 12, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On May 29, 7:15*pm, Marc Henis wrote:
I am seeking a relacement axle for a Komet III trailer (year-1978 - 850
kg).

As is the case with many Komet Trailers of this age, the Torsion component
of the axle on one side has failed and while it is OK for short retrieves,
it will soon have to go on at least quite long trip - - and perhaps
several

I have talked with Harold Ennulat and he suggests that I see if a good axle
is available here before ordering one from Germany.

Thanks

MARC H (BD)

For new replacement William's Soaring will have them for about $1200
to $1500. Also T@B trailers are imported on the same axel. You can
order from them as well.
Old May 30th 12, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Murphy

On May 29, 8:15*pm, Marc Henis wrote:
I am seeking a relacement axle for a Komet III trailer (year-1978 - 850
kg).

As is the case with many Komet Trailers of this age, the Torsion component
of the axle on one side has failed and while it is OK for short retrieves,
it will soon have to go on at least quite long trip - - and perhaps
several

I have talked with Harold Ennulat and he suggests that I see if a good axle
is available here before ordering one from Germany.

Thanks

MARC H (BD)

Check with Northern Tools they have all your trailer needs.
Old April 18th 14, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, May 29, 2012 10:19:33 PM UTC-4, Linwood Stevenson wrote:
We also replaced our Komet axle, as well as the tongue with all US components. The axle is a 3500

lb Dexter Torflex. The Euro tongue was shot, so was sawed off and replaced with a surge brake

component. The brakes work with the surge just fine. The original parking brake handle was rigged to be able to set the parking brakes, and the cable for the emergency brake pretty much works like the original. Beauty of the system is that parts can be replaced in Anytown, USA. Have towed over 5000 miles with the new setup and it does fine. Also new brakes, wheels and tires. Local trailer fabricator did it for us for a total of around $1800. Very satisfied with the result.

Linwood

Thanks Linwood,
I have the same issue and need to order a dexter torflex. Would you be so kind to share the reference number of the axle you selected?

Did you ordered new rims and tires or managed to keep the existing rims?

Can you tell me as well the start angle degree you picked? 10" down? 22.5" down? 32" down? Our axle is so damaged that we have no point of reference.
Old May 7th 14, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, May 29, 2012 9:19:33 PM UTC-5, Linwood Stevenson wrote:
[...]

Linwood,
I'm in the same shape with my Komet, I copied all of these posts plus the last bunch and took them to my trailer manufacturer. Long story short the axle, brakes , etc. are not a problem BUT he has no idea about the parking brake and the catalog doesn't address it.My trailer is not in any shape to safely tow it the 35 miles to his shop so he look at it. (Another long story)I'm confident he is able to do the work but I would like to have an answer before I take it to him.

Don 47
Old May 7th 14, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Tuesday, May 29, 2012 6:15:44 PM UTC-7, Marc Henis wrote:
I am seeking a relacement axle for a Komet III trailer (year-1978 - 850

kg).

As is the case with many Komet Trailers of this age, the Torsion component

of the axle on one side has failed and while it is OK for short retrieves,

it will soon have to go on at least quite long trip - - and perhaps

several

I have talked with Harold Ennulat and he suggests that I see if a good axle

is available here before ordering one from Germany.

Thanks

MARC H (BD)

Go to www.dexteraxle.com

Find a distributor in your area take the trailer and ask for an axle. They will weld on brackets to match the mounts on the present axle.

You can also also get them with electric brakes.

The axle is about $400

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

PIK 20 Trailer Axle Taylor Drake Soaring 7 April 8th 11 06:12 PM
PIK 20 Trailer Axle Taylor Drake Soaring 0 April 8th 11 06:54 AM
Cobra trailer axle Pete Dawson Soaring 1 August 15th 09 01:49 AM
Trailer tires for old (1981) Komet Trailer [email protected] Soaring 3 May 13th 09 10:24 PM
Cobra Trailer - U.S. Axle? Mitch Soaring 8 March 2nd 07 10:16 PM