Canadian fighter squadrons during WWII

Old March 6th 04, 07:20 PM
Ed Majden

Default Canadian fighter squadrons during WWII

Are there any good books on the Canadian fighter squardrons during WWII
and the missions they flew? Also a history of No.6 Bomber Group.

Old March 6th 04, 07:27 PM
James Linn

"Ed Majden" wrote in message
Are there any good books on the Canadian fighter squardrons during

WWII
and the missions they flew? Also a history of No.6 Bomber Group.

Terror in the Starboard Seat is about the navigator of a Mosquito Fighter
Bomber which was engaged in a variety of missions - lurking around German
night fighter bases to ambush them, intercepting V1s, some day time bombing.

James Linn

Old March 6th 04, 10:22 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Ed Majden" wrote in message
Are there any good books on the Canadian fighter squardrons during

WWII
and the missions they flew? Also a history of No.6 Bomber Group.

Ed;
I'm not sure where you want to go in the war as it relates to the Canadians,
but for the BOB period and shortly after, I'm sure a quick historical check
for RAF 242 Sqd. at Colitishall in 1940 will produce some very good results
for Hurricanes flown by Canadians, with the exception of one very outspoken
English commander who thought they were the greatest bunch of fighter pilots
he ever flew with!!
:-))
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/ CFI Retired
For personal email, please replace
the z's with e's.
dhenriquesATzarthlinkDOTnzt

Old March 7th 04, 12:24 AM
Ed Majden

"Dudley Henriques" Ed;
I'm not sure where you want to go in the war as it relates to the

Canadians,
but for the BOB period and shortly after, I'm sure a quick historical

check
for RAF 242 Sqd. at Colitishall in 1940 will produce some very good

results
for Hurricanes flown by Canadians, with the exception of one very

outspoken
English commander who thought they were the greatest bunch of fighter

pilots
he ever flew with!!

What about after D-Day etc? I guess some flew with the RAF in North
Africa also. This history must be written down somewhere! Any books on
No.6 Bomber Group? Also remember seeing a TV program on the "Lost
Squadron", flying Liberators over the Indian Ocean. Apparently at squadron
reunions know one remembers these guys as they were so far removed from the
main campaign!
Ed
Ret. AST/RST tech 1958-1986 R.C.A.F./C.A.F.

Old March 7th 04, 05:26 AM
Dudley Henriques

"Ed Majden" wrote in message

"Dudley Henriques" Ed;
[...]

I'm sorry Ed. I'm not really much of a history buff. Douglas related some
things to me through the years about life in 242, but most was personal
rather than historical information. I think Pete Stickney or one of the
history guys might have some leads for you about Canadian connected RAF
operations after D Day . FWIW, Douglas went into some detail about his
Canadians in his book. That would at least give you a starting point.
Dudley

Old March 7th 04, 07:56 AM
Ed Majden

"Dudley Henriques"
I'm sorry Ed. I'm not really much of a history buff. Douglas related some
things to me through the years about life in 242, but most was personal
rather than historical information. I think Pete Stickney or one of the
history guys might have some leads for you about Canadian connected RAF
operations after D Day . FWIW, Douglas went into some detail about his
Canadians in his book. That would at least give you a starting point.
Dudley

I found a bunch of stuff doing a search on the web for RCAF Squadrons
and No.6 Bomber Group etc. Should have done a search first, I guess.
Thanks for your response.
Ed

Old March 7th 04, 03:48 PM
Joe Osman

Ed Majden wrote:
Are there any good books on the Canadian fighter squardrons during WWII
and the missions they flew? Also a history of No.6 Bomber Group.

Try the Canadian Aviation Historical Society at
http://www.cahs.com/index.htm. They have a journal, which might have
articles that would interest you.
The theme of their 2002 Convention was No. 6 Bomber Group.
http://www.cahs.com/NewsAndViews/art...AndMeeting.htm

You might want to ask on the Message Board at
http://www.rcaf.com/6group/, which also has:
Headquarters
• Squadrons
• Order of Battle
• Airfields
• Daily Operations
• Combat Reports
• Strike Photos
• Crew Photos
• Aircraft Photos
• Nose Art Photos
• Mining Codes
• Orders & Awards
• Betty's Bar
• Links
• What's New!
• Memorials

Joe

Old March 7th 04, 06:51 PM
Dom Sasco

You might want to get in contact with Larry Millberry at
Canav Books
51 Balsam Ave
Toronto, Ontario M4E 3B6

He has written or co-written some of the best history books
about the Royal Canadian Air Force.

As well he handles avaition books from other Canadian authors.

He will send you a catalogue if you ask for it.

Per Ardua ad Astra

Dom

Old March 8th 04, 04:57 AM
Kurt Jeffery

"Ed Majden" wrote in message
Are there any good books on the Canadian fighter squardrons during

WWII
and the missions they flew? Also a history of No.6 Bomber Group.

You might be interested in the title:

Invasions Without Tears - by Monty Berger

The story of Canada's top scoring Spitfire 126 Wing, in Europe in WW II.

A very good account of the day-to-day lives of pilots and ground
crews...lots of details about the missions flown by
this Wing.

Regards,

Kurt

Old March 8th 04, 05:31 AM
Peter Stickney

In article gIz2c.727374$X%5.482592@pd7tw2no,
"Ed Majden" writes:

"Dudley Henriques"
I'm sorry Ed. I'm not really much of a history buff. Douglas related some
things to me through the years about life in 242, but most was personal
rather than historical information. I think Pete Stickney or one of the
history guys might have some leads for you about Canadian connected RAF
operations after D Day . FWIW, Douglas went into some detail about his
Canadians in his book. That would at least give you a starting point.
Dudley

I found a bunch of stuff doing a search on the web for RCAF Squadrons
and No.6 Bomber Group etc. Should have done a search first, I guess.
Thanks for your response.

I'll have to dig out Wing Commander Johnny Johnson's "Wing Leader"
again, but, just going from memory, the Squadrons in his Spitfire Wing
post D-Day were Canadians. I'll see if I can dig up some better
details later. He found them to be very friendly, aggressive, and
capable.

(O.K. it's a bit later. Here's the 2 Tactical Air Force's compliment
of Canadian units, with their Aircraft types and initial bases.
144 Wing was teh first Allied fighter unit to deploy to France, after
the invasion.
They were all heavily involved in Air Superiority and Fighter-Bomber
type missions - they had a big role at Falaise.

For teh Squadrons, the info is Designation, Equipment and Base as og 6
June 1944.
83 Group
No. 17 (Canadian) Sector (G/C Bill MacBrien)
126 (Canadian) Wing (W/C George Keefer)
401 (Canadian) Squadron Spitfire IX Tangmere,
411 (Canadian) Squadron Spitfire IX Tangmere
412 (Canadian) Squadron Spitfire IX Tangmere
127 (Canadian) Wing (W/C Lloyd Chadburn)
403 (Canadian) Squadron Spitfire IX Tangmere
416 (Canadian) Squadron Spitfire IX Tangmere
421 (Canadian) Squadron Spitfire IX Tangmere
144 (Canadian) Wing (W/C Johnny Johnson)
441 (Canadian) Squadron Spitfire IX Ford
442 (Canadian) Squadron Spitfire IX Ford
443 (Canadian) Squadron Spitfire IX Ford

43 (RCAF) Wing (W/C M T Judd)
438 (Canadian) Squadron Typhoon Ib Hurn
439 (Canadian) Squadron Typhoon Ib Hurn
440 (Canadian) Squadron Typhoon Ib Hurn

39 Recce Wing (W/C Bunt Waddell)
168 Squadron, Spitfire XIV (Odiham, B.8 1Jul)
400 (Canadian) Squadron, Mosquito XVII Odiham
414 (Canadian) Squadron Spitfire XIV Odiham
430 (Canadian) Squadron Spitfire XIV Odiham

83 Group Reserve
402 (Canadian) Squadron Spitfire V Digby

85 Group
148 Wing
409 (Canadian) Squadron (S/L Wendy Reid) Mosquito XIII

Reserves from ADGB
406 (Canadian) Squadron, Beaufighter Winkleigh, Colerne
418 (Canadian) Squadron MosquitoXIII Hurn

A good start for better details would be:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/angels_eight/

Hope This Helps.

--
Pete Stickney