Project update

Old October 15th 03, 02:30 AM
Dave Hyde

Default Project update

The 12-year saga of my RV-4 continues...
A while back I posted about running my engine for the
first time. Since then I've stuffed everything where
it belongs and had the airplane weighed. Turns out
I'm not going to have the CG problem I thought I would.
Came in at 952 pounds including oil, zero fuel. Not bad
for a gyro panel (but no paint). I'll take it. Flight
test configuration (me and a 'chute) will have a mid to
slightly forward CG. Can't beat that. Also had the
transponder checks done (passed) and the pitot-static
test for IFR (failed due to split static line - how'd
that happen?). Line's been replaced and it's ready for
retest. Spoken with a couple of inspectors and got a
list of things to check and do before inspection, none
of which are major. Paperwork is in progress, and there's
a ton of it when you include the POH, servicing requirements,
and equipment list. Inspection is tentatively scheduled
for the first week in December, possibly earlier if I'm
productive.

Got a thorough RV-6 checkout this weekend. Landing one
_almost_ feels like a natural act. I'm at least ready for
taxi - high speed taxi will not happen until *after*
inspection, in a ready-for-flight airplane, based on what I've
learned from others.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. So far it's been
worth it. Only time will tell.

Dave 'Semper Paratus' Hyde

Old October 15th 03, 02:46 AM
Del Rawlins

On 14 Oct 2003 05:30 PM, Dave Hyde posted the following:

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. So far it's been
worth it. Only time will tell.

Congratulations. Have you ordered your next tail kit yet? 8^)

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/
Old October 15th 03, 03:05 AM
Rich S.

"Dave Hyde" wrote in message
The 12-year saga of my RV-4 continues...

snip
I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. So far it's been
worth it. Only time will tell.

Gotta chase pilot all lined up? Ain't nobody better than Jerry VanG.

Rich "Butterflies" S.

Old October 15th 03, 05:42 AM
Barnyard BOb --

Got a thorough RV-6 checkout this weekend. Landing one
_almost_ feels like a natural act. I'm at least ready for
taxi - high speed taxi will not happen until *after*
inspection, in a ready-for-flight airplane, based on what I've
learned from others.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. So far it's been
worth it. Only time will tell.

Dave 'Semper Paratus' Hyde

Got my RV-6 checkout with Bob Lynch of Jefferson City
a few years back. Did you go the same route?

Barnyard BOb -- inquiring minds
Old October 17th 03, 11:03 PM
Dave Hyde

Rich Shankland wrote:

Gotta chase pilot all lined up? Ain't nobody better than Jerry VanG.

I think I do. We'll see after we talk a bit about it.

Barnyard BOb wrote:

Got my RV-6 checkout with Bob Lynch of Jefferson City
a few years back. Did you go the same route?

Yup, and it would've been worth 10x the price.
He's very patient :-)

Also talked with a bunch of RV-types at JEF,
and one of them hooked me up with an inspector
who's bending over backwards to help. The homebuilt
community in general, and the RV-community in
particular, is by and large a great bunch of people.

Dave 'sleepless' Hyde

Old October 19th 03, 12:32 AM
Dptate

Paperwork is in progress, and there's
a ton of it when you include the POH, servicing requirements,
and equipment list.

Good luck Dave.

You must have concientious inspectors over there. In my case in Dec 2001 the
local FAA only seemed to be concerned with placards and registration data.

Dave Tate
Old October 19th 03, 02:07 PM
Dave Hyde

Dptate wrote:

You must have concientious inspectors over there. In my case in Dec 2001 the
local FAA only seemed to be concerned with placards and registration data.

Most of the content requirements are self-imposed. I could get by
with less.

Missed the *requirement* (still not convinced) for the
remote ELT test switch. Spent last night upside down
in the tailcone.

Dave 'stiff little fingers' Hyde

wanted Rans S7 project Peter C Home Built 1 October 9th 03 02:25 PM
Wanted Rans S7 project Peter C Home Built 0 September 21st 03 03:29 AM
Refinace a project John Mireley Home Built 0 September 18th 03 03:08 PM
Me262 Update CS_Mike Home Built 2 September 10th 03 07:19 AM
2nd update on Review of Plasma II Ignition System MikeremlaP Home Built 8 July 22nd 03 01:37 AM