Bad News from Plumbus Bobbus - I'm outta here

Old January 22nd 04, 05:07 AM
plumbus bobbus

Default Bad News from Plumbus Bobbus - I'm outta here

Flying Chums,

I cannot take it any more. I tried my best to extort a free night from the
guy from the aviation themed hotel in that midwest city that really should
not exist. But I was unsuccessful. It seems I ended up doing a great
marketing job for hotel with excessive airport noise pollution. Clearly I am
a **** poor mobster. The Rico Statute was not written for me.

Therefore, it is with a heavy heart that I retire the Plumbus Bobbus name
and return to my day job as night janitor for Terminal B at the local
airport.

So long y'all! See you in the sky.

-- Plumbus Bobbus (pilot extraordinaire)

Old January 22nd 04, 02:26 PM
Ron Lee

"plumbus bobbus" wrote:

I cannot take it any more. I tried my best to extort a free night from the
guy from the aviation themed hotel in that midwest city that really should
not exist.

Best thing to do is just reserve a room and state that your name is
Plumb Bob. Nevermind...I think I will try it. Just forget I
mentioned it. Gotta make a phone call. Later

Ron Lee
Old January 22nd 04, 02:50 PM
Jay Honeck

Best thing to do is just reserve a room and state that your name is
Plumb Bob. Nevermind...I think I will try it. Just forget I
mentioned it. Gotta make a phone call. Later

Good luck, Ron. I'm off today -- and I doubt my desk staff would know what
the heck you were talking about!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 22nd 04, 02:57 PM
Marco Leon

What's wrong? You mean all those posts were poorly-disguised flames at
Jay???

http://www.usenet.com
Old January 22nd 04, 05:01 PM
C J Campbell

It is neither normal nor acceptable for a CFI to be 1 or 2 hours late. He
may be trying to dump you as a student.

You show exceptional perseverence for someone thinking about quitting.
Hanging around for an extra hour or two for your CFI, continuing to fly in
ratty aircraft, continuing your lessons even though progress has slowed,
etc. Eighteen hours to solo is not unusual, but I would expect you to be
closer now. I would also expect you to have your medical certificate by now.
This shows a either a definite lack of guidance from your instructor, or a
failure on your part to follow that guidance. There is more to being an
instructor than being patient and knowledgeable. The instructor has to be
able to teach, too, and I don't see much teaching going on here.

Learning to fly in winter is a pain. Many of my students also complain about
the frequent cancellations for fog and icing, but there is little we can do
about it short of moving to San Diego. (I might just do that myself.) Still,
look at it this way. When spring rolls around and the weather clears up you
will be all ready to finish off those last cross country flights and enjoy
your certificat all summer.

GA is financially distressed, but that does not mean that we cannot afford
to maintain aircraft. Having your engine fail to start does not indicate to
me that you have a maintenance problem. That is largely a winter thing, a
function of low batteries and improper preflight. It can get cold enough
that the starter will not engage even though there is enough battery power
to turn the starter. A maintenance problem would be if the airplane sits
broken for weeks on end, or if the airplane has something major wrong with
it that never seems to get fixed.

My advice would be to make the sacrifice in time and effort to learn to fly
somewhere else. At least take a vacation and get some instruction someplace
else that has new airplanes and professional staff. Have them evaluate where
you are and find out whether it is worth trying to finish up there.

I have been getting letters from several places that have no flight
instructors asking me if I would be interested in relocating there. I am
happy at PAVCO, but I am beginning to get a real sense that there is a
genuine shortage of qualified and experienced instructors.

Old January 22nd 04, 11:16 PM
Pilot Bob \(I am just a great guy!!\)

"Marco Leon" mleon(at)optonline.net wrote in message
What's wrong? You mean all those posts were poorly-disguised flames at
Jay???

That is an insult to my old buddy, Plumbus Bobbus. He is most definitely not