Bad Week for Airbus

Old November 24th 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Phil

Default Bad Week for Airbus

On top of last week's A340 incident, now an A330 experienced a sudden
depressurization on a shakedown flight. Among the injuries to
passengers were spinal injuries. Sounds like the pilot may have
abruptly dived the aircraft while some passengers were still standing
in the aisle. Or would people pass out so quickly that they fell and
injured themselves? It doesn't say what the altitude is, but I would
have thought that people would stay conscious long enough to get to a
seat and use the oxygen mask.

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?C...-e79e5cbc3ce7&
Old November 24th 07, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Phil writes:

On top of last week's A340 incident, now an A330 experienced a sudden
depressurization on a shakedown flight. Among the injuries to
passengers were spinal injuries. Sounds like the pilot may have
abruptly dived the aircraft while some passengers were still standing
in the aisle. Or would people pass out so quickly that they fell and
injured themselves?

It depends on the altitude, but at typical cruising altitudes they might be
conscious for only fifteen to twenty seconds, which might not be long enough
for them to gather their wits and get to an oxygen mask if they are standing
and moving about.

It doesn't say what the altitude is, but I would
have thought that people would stay conscious long enough to get to a
seat and use the oxygen mask.

At high altitudes there may not be enough time. That's what FAs always tell
parents to fasten their own masks before putting masks on their children: if
they try to fasten their children's masks first, they may pass out before they
succeed, and then both end up with hypoxia and unconsciousness. I think a lot
of parents are too stupid to understand this, however.
Old November 24th 07, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Phil writes:

[...]

Pot. Kettle. Black. Must resist...can't stop...ahhhh....

Old November 24th 07, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Phil writes:

[...]

You're certainly too stuopid to understand it.

Bertie

Old November 24th 07, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Phil wrote in
:

On top of last week's A340 incident, now an A330 experienced a sudden
depressurization on a shakedown flight. Among the injuries to
passengers were spinal injuries. Sounds like the pilot may have
abruptly dived the aircraft while some passengers were still standing
in the aisle.

No, you really can;'t abruptly do anything in an Airbus in the flight mode
he would have been in at cruise.

Or would people pass out so quickly that they fell and
injured themselves?

Probably not that either. You're only slumping to the floor like you would
naywhere else.

It doesn't say what the altitude is, but I would
have thought that people would stay conscious long enough to get to a
seat and use the oxygen mask.

Mebbe, mebbe not.

An explosive decompression can do a lot of damage to the body. Sinuses,
ears lungs..

Makes you fart too.

Bertie
Old November 24th 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Phil

On Nov 24, 2:07 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

No, you really can;'t abruptly do anything in an Airbus in the flight mode
he would have been in at cruise.

The computer won't let you? What if you need to maneuver abruptly to
avoid a collision?

Or would people pass out so quickly that they fell and

injured themselves?

Probably not that either. You're only slumping to the floor like you would
naywhere else.

It doesn't say what the altitude is, but I would

have thought that people would stay conscious long enough to get to a
seat and use the oxygen mask.

Mebbe, mebbe not.

An explosive decompression can do a lot of damage to the body. Sinuses,
ears lungs..

Amazing. I never would have guessed that you could get a spinal
injury from the decompression itself.

Makes you fart too.

Now that I would have guessed.

Phil

Old November 24th 07, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Phil wrote in
:

On Nov 24, 2:07 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

No, you really can;'t abruptly do anything in an Airbus in the flight
mode he would have been in at cruise.

The computer won't let you? What if you need to maneuver abruptly to
avoid a collision?

That's right. It won't let you manuever more thna a given acceleration for
the flight mode you are in,particulaly at high alt due to mahc manuevering
considerations. Can't give you numbers because I'm not flying one at the
moment.

Or would people pass out so quickly that they fell and

injured themselves?

Probably not that either. You're only slumping to the floor like you
would naywhere else.

It doesn't say what the altitude is, but I would

have thought that people would stay conscious long enough to get to
a seat and use the oxygen mask.

Mebbe, mebbe not.

An explosive decompression can do a lot of damage to the body.
Sinuses, ears lungs..

Amazing. I never would have guessed that you could get a spinal
injury from the decompression itself.

Didn't know about that one either. Could be just misreported or it may be
so. We get training in the physiological aspects of a blowout and some are
pretty nasty (an aneurism on the brain in several cases) but this is a new
one on me. It's not really something we need be to concerned about, it'll
either happen or it won't. Hopefully won't..

Old November 24th 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

Phil schrieb:

The computer won't let you? What if you need to maneuver abruptly to
avoid a collision?

The computer prevents you to rip off the wings. But you can always
disengage this functionality, if you really want to do something stupid.

Amazing. I never would have guessed that you could get a spinal
injury from the decompression itself.

If a bubble forms and blocks a vessel, it can do so anywhere.
Old November 24th 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Stefan wrote in news:6e9ce$4748a8da$54487377
:

Phil schrieb:

The computer won't let you? What if you need to maneuver abruptly to
avoid a collision?

The computer prevents you to rip off the wings. But you can always
disengage this functionality, if you really want to do something stupid.

You can't do it quickly. It's a fairly intricate procedure, in fact..

And the computer does a lot more that protecting the airframe..

Bertie
Old November 24th 07, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Nov 24, 1:15 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:

At high altitudes there may not be enough time. That's what FAs always tell
parents to fasten their own masks before putting masks on their children: if
they try to fasten their children's masks first, they may pass out before they
succeed, and then both end up with hypoxia and unconsciousness. I think a lot
of parents are too stupid to understand this, however.

Maybe, but I think it's just an instinctive reaction to help your kid
first.

airbus - Latest Plane From Airbus.jpg [email protected] Aviation Photos 14 June 26th 07 09:41 AM
Which is easier: Boeing to Airbus, or Airbus to Boeing? Mxsmanic Piloting 9 February 21st 07 01:58 AM
What a week.. Capt.Doug Piloting 11 February 20th 07 03:25 AM
No NYC Fleet Week TFR? Marco Leon Piloting 8 June 1st 06 10:59 PM
This week DHeitm8612 General Aviation 0 January 21st 05 01:19 AM