Wings over Housston

Old October 10th 07, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John

Default Wings over Housston

Bertie

This is a repost.

Went to Wings Over Houston Air Show today and spoke to several Pilots
about military trim tabs on current A/C.

B-2 Pilot

B-2 has coolie hat trim tab. Used only when gear is down. After gear
retracted the computer trims the A/C to comply with what was set in
it. After reaching cruising altitude, the pilot adjusts the throttles
to set cruising speed and computer trims the A/C for that speed. If
pilot changes A/S then computer auto changes the trim for the new A/S.
Landing, when gear is put down, bird is trimmed with coolie hat by
Pilot.

F-5 Pilot

F-5 has a coolie hat trim tab and has had for years.

F-16 Pilot

Computer trims the A/C. If you end up with a heavy wing (tank didn't
feed or only dropped ordnance from one wing) then Coolie hat used to
trim A/C.

ALL the Military A/C had a coolie hat trim tab in them. Any year, any
model.

One of the Pilots said he flew GA and was familiar with the spit
elevator trim tab. He thought it was a safety set up for possible run
away trim (as has been discussed on news group).

I logged some '51D cockpit time. Two big guys lifted me from wing over
sill and into seat ) Lots in cockpit same as when I flew last (1949)
but they had disabled the high boost turbo charger as not needed at
low altitude where all the owner birds are now flown. No 109's and
190's to tangle with at altitude today. Taking the gearing and clutch
out cuts the maintenance (and saves dollars). Also Oxy for high
altitude flight is not available at all the places where stops are
made to refuel.

Saw the following birds I have flown and talked to their Pilots.

PT-19
BT-13
AT-6
P-51D
O-1
0-2
C-130

Lots of other birds but had not flow them.

Had VIP tickets. Food, drinks (including beer) all included with the
ticket (all you could eat/drink ) Tables on front row where you
could see everything on R/W and of course everything in air.

Thunder Storm came from south (Gulf) about 13:30 so packed up and got
out just before it hit. Showers off and on all way home.

They gave everyone ear plugs at gate and were needed with F-16, F-18,
etc running by in A/B. These current A/B's are much louder than the
early ones I flew (

Had a good time and missed all of youse guys )

Big John

Old October 10th 07, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Big John wrote in
:

Bertie

This is a repost.

Went to Wings Over Houston Air Show today and spoke to several Pilots
about military trim tabs on current A/C.

B-2 Pilot

B-2 has coolie hat trim tab. Used only when gear is down. After gear
retracted the computer trims the A/C to comply with what was set in
it. After reaching cruising altitude, the pilot adjusts the throttles
to set cruising speed and computer trims the A/C for that speed. If
pilot changes A/S then computer auto changes the trim for the new A/S.
Landing, when gear is put down, bird is trimmed with coolie hat by
Pilot.

OK, hadn't seen this, but the B" works exactly the same as every modern
airliner. The autopilot does all the trimming when it;s engaged and also
does mach trim. We have split pickle switches just like th eguy with the
lightplane was taslking about and you have to move both in concert to
get the trim to move manually.
On my current airplane, you even have two levers for manual trimming.
They're hydraulic valves and you have to move both to get the trim to
move. There's no active runaway protection on this so you have to
disengage the hyd motors with switchs in the cockpit if the trim runs
awa(alltransonic jets have either trimable stabs or stabilators, so a
runaway is huge troulbe which will result in loss of control)

One of the Pilots said he flew GA and was familiar with the spit
elevator trim tab. He thought it was a safety set up for possible run
away trim (as has been discussed on news group).

Yeah, I looked for an eng to ask last week but didn't see one in my
travels. Not one who knewthat system anyway.

[...]

lots more power!

Had a good time and missed all of youse guys )

Great! Glad you enjoyed it..

Bertie

Sea Wings pin? Robert M. Gary Piloting 15 September 23rd 06 06:49 PM
X-Wings and Canard Rotor Wings. Charles Gray Rotorcraft 1 March 22nd 05 12:26 AM
wings mark Owning 18 February 7th 04 10:07 AM
FS: SGS 1-35 Wings Michael Soaring 3 December 14th 03 06:51 PM
FS SGS 1-35 Wings MHende6388 Soaring 0 September 11th 03 02:06 AM