Big Kahunas

Old December 17th 03, 02:00 AM
Carl Ellis

Let's just call it quits and talk about airplanes.

What kind do you have, Carl?

Good idea 8-).

1977 F-19 Taylorcraft. It has an O-200 and 1500 lbs gross. It's a real
performer.

- Carl -

---

Old December 17th 03, 06:06 PM
R. Hubbell

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 08:57:13 -0600 "Gig Giacona" wrote:

"R. Hubbell" wrote in message
Gig WROTE:
And state controlled economies have just proven SOOOO successful.

And there lies the crux of the whole thing.
Define successful.

They didn't all implode over the last 15 years.

But you still haven't defined successful. It's a relative term.
Your definition will be relative to your experience. Our economy is
state controlled it's just that you and many others can't see that it is.
Tariffs, subsidies, etc., etc.

R. Hubbell

Old December 17th 03, 06:21 PM
R. Hubbell

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 00:23:48 GMT Bob Noel wrote:

In article SYpDb.12267$pY.8244@fed1read04, "R. Hubbell"
wrote:

You're missing one of the main points, the fact that SUVs are
misclassified
allows people to buy them at a fraction of what they would cost if they
were classified properly. (don't have the details, I believe it hinges on
weight and safety ratings)

"a fraction"? how much? 1/10th? 1/2? 95%?

I have heard that if SUVs were to have to meet safety requirements
imposed on PAX cars that their prices would be close to double.

PAX cars have more stringent requirements then trucks. Those requirements
alter the price considerably. e.g. trucks don't even have to have bumpers.

But we all know SUVs are PAX cars.

And my original point was that SUVs have been artificially bouyed up
by the govt. and the free market everyone loves to tout is not really
a free market. Our economy is indeed govt. run.

R. Hubbell

--
Bob Noel

Old December 17th 03, 10:21 PM
Gig Giacona

"Carl Ellis" wrote in message

Good idea 8-).

1977 F-19 Taylorcraft. It has an O-200 and 1500 lbs gross. It's a real
performer.

- Carl -

And you Gig?

Building a Zenith 601XL.. You can see up to the minute photos of the under
taking at www.peoamerica.net/N601WR

Old December 18th 03, 01:19 AM
Carl Ellis

"

Building a Zenith 601XL.. You can see up to the minute photos of the under
taking at www.peoamerica.net/N601WR

That's a nice little airplane. I imagine you've had a chance to fly one?
What are your impressions?

- Carl -

---

Old December 18th 03, 03:41 PM
Gig Giacona

"Carl Ellis" wrote in message

"

Building a Zenith 601XL.. You can see up to the minute photos of the

under
taking at www.peoamerica.net/N601WR

That's a nice little airplane. I imagine you've had a chance to fly one?
What are your impressions?

- Carl -

I went through the new builder's workshop and test flew the plane in
September on 2002. When went up to the factory in Mexico MO I had never
seen one in person. I had already paid my $300 for the rudder kit and had 2
things I had to know before I left or else I wouldn't continue the project.

1. How did the plane fly? I didn't want an ultralight I wanted a small plane
that I could comfortably do x-country in and maybe even very light IFR.

Within 1 minute of take-off I was pretty sure the 601XL would fill the bill
on that. After 30 minutes I was sure.

2. Could I build the thing pretty much alone with my very limited skill set?

I felt obviously felt that I could. I've made a couple of mistakes along the
way but nothing a couple of hundred dollars of new parts wouldn't fix.

I also looked into the Sonex. For what I wanted the panel area looked a
little small and it's design was a kind of radical for my taste and it was a
much less proven design, especially at the time.

The RVs are great but I didn't feel like I could do enough of the work
without an extra set of hands.

Gig Giacona
www.peoamerica.net/N601WR

Old December 18th 03, 04:13 PM
Carl Ellis

I also looked into the Sonex. For what I wanted the panel area looked a
little small and it's design was a kind of radical for my taste and it was

much less proven design, especially at the time.

Yes, the Sonex looks interesting but it is soooo funny looking!

The RVs are great but I didn't feel like I could do enough of the work
without an extra set of hands.

Did you consider a Murphy at all?

- Carl -

---

Old December 18th 03, 07:21 PM
Gig Giacona

"Carl Ellis" wrote in message
I also looked into the Sonex. For what I wanted the panel area looked a
little small and it's design was a kind of radical for my taste and it

was
much less proven design, especially at the time.

Yes, the Sonex looks interesting but it is soooo funny looking!

The RVs are great but I didn't feel like I could do enough of the work
without an extra set of hands.

Did you consider a Murphy at all?

- Carl -

It is just a personal preference. I like low wings.

Old December 19th 03, 01:35 AM
Carl Ellis

It is just a personal preference. I like low wings.

Oh no, I hope this doesn't reignite the low wing vs high wing debate. 8-)

- Carl -

---