Common instruments on small aircraft

Old October 31st 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
gatt

Default Common instruments on small aircraft

"Jose" wrote in message
et...

Instead of trying to 'work around' the rules, we should be revolting
against this sort of bull****...

Agreed. Got any ideas?

Civil disobedience, letter campaigning, public awareness drives, etc. The
GA community needs to remind the rest of the community that pilots, not
bureaucrats, are the experts of the sky. Otherwise, just do it and don't
get caught. If -everybody- defies the rule, it is no longer a rule.

-c

Old October 31st 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jose[_1_]

The sticking point would be whether or not I suggested we go, or you
suggested we go. Me = BAD .. You = OK.

Neither case "provides" an opportunity that didn't exist before. But
you are right, that is the FAA's position.

Jose
--
"Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where
it keeps its brain." (chapter 10 of book 3 - Harry Potter).
Old October 31st 06, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
gatt

"RK Henry" wrote in message

What if it's your girlfriend and after dinner you're "rewarded" with
an intimate encounter? Would the FAA consider that compensation? Could
your girlfriend then be charged with prostitution?

More importantly, Does This Ever Happen?!

I've asked this type of question and heard lots of answers before, but what
still remains unanswered is, "Do they really even CARE about these trivial
little things?" Or, do those rules exist in case somebody -is- trying to
run an illegitimate black market air transport service?

Whoever got busted for taking their girlfriend for a dinner ride, a daughter
to college or friends to a football game? Personally, I refuse to NOT fly
because I -might- cross a boundary that the FAA -might- actually bother
enforcing.

I've got one life to spend flying and sharing the gift and hobby of flight.
I'm not going to sacrifice that because of what some bureaucrat MIGHT do.
Otherwise, if they pull my ticket, someday I will have at least flown. (It
is better to have flown and lost...) In exchange, for the safety and
respect of myself and my passengers, I do commit myself to medical currency,
aircraft proficiency and educated decision-making with regard to determining
whether to make a flight.

-c

Old October 31st 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
John Theune

Mxsmanic wrote:
Jim Logajan writes:

For the U.S., that information is available on the FAA web site.

I've no doubt that it's available somewhere, so you've contributed
nothing by pointing this out.

I think he contributed the point that you should occasionally try
looking something up on your own instead of asking someone else to look
it up for you. He even told you where to look.
Old October 31st 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jose[_1_]

"Do they really even CARE about these trivial
little things?" Or, do those rules exist in case somebody -is- trying to
run an illegitimate black market air transport service?

They act like they care, if you ask them. I do support their stance
against an illigetimate black market air transport service. However,
taking your friend home from college (everyone knows you love to fly)
isn't such an animal, though the FAA has made noises as if it were. By
extension, taking your son TO college is equally a black market air
tranport service (especially if you take his friend), and it gets
sillier after that.

I would say that the problem arises from "impersonating an air transport
service", and this is easily solved if the rules state something along
the lines of "A private pilot may carry passengers. A pilot who is
excercising the privilages of a private pilot may not represent himself
or the operation as a commercial pilot, implicitly or explicitly.
Explicitly representing the operation as a private pilot is sufficient
to meet this rule. A private pilot may share expenses with passengers.
Shared expenses need not be pro-rata, but in no case may a pilot
receive more reimbursement or compensation than his actual expenses.
Logging of flight time shall not be considered compensation, neither
shall goodwill.

Jose
Old October 31st 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Neil Gould

Recently, RK Henry posted:

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 19:49:44 GMT, "Grumman-581"
wrote:

"karl gruber" wrote in message
A passenger cannot initiate a flight, that's the ruling, whether
you or I like it or not.

And if the passenger happens to be your wife who suggests that you
fly off to some nice little airport with a restaurant nearby for
dinner? And she picks up the tab? Or what about if instead of
being married, you've just been living together for the last 20+
years?

What if it's your girlfriend and after dinner you're "rewarded" with
an intimate encounter? Would the FAA consider that compensation? Could
your girlfriend then be charged with prostitution?

How could that possibly be, when she's the "John" (payer) in this
instance? OTOH, _you_ might be charged with prostitution after being
busted for accepting compensation for a "charter" flight on your PPL. ;-)

Neil

Old October 31st 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bart

Judah wrote:
Are you instrument rated? If you are not instrument rated, then I agree
that flying GA is not dependable. Get your Instrument Rating and you will
see a whole other level of practicality to GA.

I'm not instrument rating and I agree that IR pilots will have more
flexibility with weather. But I believe the larger percentage of GA
pilots are not IR. And the while IR pilots have *more* flexibility, in
most cases, it is still not as reliable as commercial or ground
transportation.

Old October 31st 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bart

Jay Beckman wrote:
If you are flying because your passenger wants to go somewhere (and you
don't have a legitimate reason to go as well...and even if your passenger
doesn't give you a penny) you are being given an opportunity to log time
that you might not otherwise be logging...this is considered compensation.

What if I don't log the time?

Old October 31st 06, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
A Lieberma

John Theune wrote in news:92P1h.6711$Wy6.2533
@trnddc01:

Mxsmanic wrote:
Jim Logajan writes:

For the U.S., that information is available on the FAA web site.

I've no doubt that it's available somewhere, so you've contributed
nothing by pointing this out.

I think he contributed the point that you should occasionally try
looking something up on your own instead of asking someone else to look
it up for you. He even told you where to look.

And you all wonder why I am so &)(&(#$& frustrated this person......

Sure wish the noise level would go down pre Msmanic days.....

Allen