NY Times Story on Pilot Population Decline

Old May 1st 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

Default NY Times Story on Pilot Population Decline

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

It'll come out in the impeachment hearings.

You expect Bush to commit an impeachable offense?

Old May 1st 07, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

Jose wrote:

FDR is certainly capable of being wrong.

Any of us are capable (with fifty years of hindsight FDR didn't have) of
seeing that.

And all the people that warned FDR against it? What hindsight did they have?

Old May 1st 07, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 21:28:13 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote in
.net:

There is no improving of free markets. Whatever shortcomings you might see
in them, the "cure" is always worse.

Perhaps.

But it seems that Congress has recently influenced Halliburton to stop
"trading with the enemy" through it's foreign subsidiary as part of
the economic sanctions the US has imposed on Iran since 1997. I would
characterize that as an improvement.

Incidentally, I was surprised to hear that VP Cheney has over 400,000
shares of Halliburton options that are due when he leaves office in
2009. Isn't there at least a bit of conflict of interest there?

Old May 1st 07, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

gatt wrote:
"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message

The fact that a company large or small would leave the US to reduce
the amount of taxes they have to pay ought to show you that taxes
are too high in this country.

Unless the purchasers of the company aren't domestic in the first
place.

Purchasers of what? The company's stock?

The company. IE, I'm a corporation in Asia or Europe, I'm acquiring
your company (say, Chrysler), I'm moving it outside of the US. Not
because the taxes are too high, but because I can.

Do you have some information that the reason for the move is that
Halliburton is being purchased? I haven't heard that? All I've heard is they
are moving there because that is where the business is thought the general
feeling is they are doing it for the tax advantages. I think it is probably
a little of both.

Old May 1st 07, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 16:34:57 -0700, "gatt"
wrote in
:

"Wal-Mart firmly believes in local procurement. We recognize that
quality products can generate more job opportunities, support local
manufacturing and boost economic development. Over 95% of the
merchandise in our stores in China is sourced locally."
http://www.wal-martchina.com/english/walmart/index.htm

They must be referring to the Wal-Mart stores located in China. :-)

You think? Since it clearly says that in the last line, I'd have to say you
are right.

Old May 1st 07, 02:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Default OT NY Times Story on Pilot Population Decline

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 21:24:36 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote in
.net:

FDR did not guide the US through recovery from the Great Depression,
he drove us deeper into it.

I think you're thinking of president Hoover:

SNIP Left wing rant.

Sure Hoover was an idiot. But the only reason FDR was able to pull us out of
the depression was WWII and as someone else quoted FDR actions and lack of
actions caused the cold war.

Old May 1st 07, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 21:28:13 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote in
.net:

There is no improving of free markets. Whatever shortcomings you
might see in them, the "cure" is always worse.

Perhaps.

But it seems that Congress has recently influenced Halliburton to stop
"trading with the enemy" through it's foreign subsidiary as part of
the economic sanctions the US has imposed on Iran since 1997. I would
characterize that as an improvement.

Incidentally, I was surprised to hear that VP Cheney has over 400,000
shares of Halliburton options that are due when he leaves office in
2009. Isn't there at least a bit of conflict of interest there?

Those 400,000 shares were part of deffered compensation package from when he
worked there. Do you expect him to just give away $12.6 million dollars that
he earned?

Old May 1st 07, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 1 May 2007 09:02:25 -0500, "Gig 601XL Builder"
wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in
:

Incidentally, I was surprised to hear that VP Cheney has over 400,000
shares of Halliburton options that are due when he leaves office in
2009. Isn't there at least a bit of conflict of interest there?

Those 400,000 shares were part of deffered compensation package from when he
worked there. Do you expect him to just give away $12.6 million dollars that
he earned?

Do you see any hint of a conflict of interest given the enormous
government no-bid contracts awarded to Halliburton?
Old May 1st 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 1 May 2007 08:54:57 -0500, "Gig 601XL Builder"
wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in
:

Sure Hoover was an idiot.

Unfortunately, it seem others here still echo Hoover's crass
insensitivity toward their fellow Americans. I believe that those who
think that way would have no qualms about re-instituting slavery in
our nation if they thought they could get away with it.

Old May 1st 07, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Tue, 1 May 2007 09:02:25 -0500, "Gig 601XL Builder"
wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in
:

Incidentally, I was surprised to hear that VP Cheney has over
400,000 shares of Halliburton options that are due when he leaves
office in 2009. Isn't there at least a bit of conflict of interest
there?

Those 400,000 shares were part of deffered compensation package from
when he worked there. Do you expect him to just give away $12.6
million dollars that he earned?

Do you see any hint of a conflict of interest given the enormous
government no-bid contracts awarded to Halliburton?

So are we going to make a rule that a company can't do business with the
government if somebody who used to work for them is in government? This will
solve the homeless problem you are so worried about. They can be government
employees.

As far as no bid contract. There really aren't that many companies capable
of fulfilling the contract if any other than H.