LS-3 Wing Profile Templates

Old November 11th 11, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default LS-3 Wing Profile Templates

Rick at Sundance Aviation, Moriarty, NM is restoring an LS-3 and asked me to
post a request for profile information for the wings.

Going on advice I've read on this site, I suggested to him that he pull
templates off the wings, fill, gel coat, paying attention to the first 6
inches back from the leading edge, and fair the rest paying attention to
waviness.

So, does anyone have templates, or is the consensus to do what I described
above?

Old November 11th 11, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Nov 10, 8:33*pm, "Dan Marotta" wrote:
Rick at Sundance Aviation, Moriarty, NM is restoring an LS-3 and asked me to
post a request for profile information for the wings.

Going on advice I've read on this site, I suggested to him that he pull
templates off the wings, fill, gel coat, paying attention to the first 6
inches back from the leading edge, and fair the rest paying attention to
waviness.

So, does anyone have templates, or is the consensus to do what I described
above?

The Wortmann FX67 series airfoil coordinates are available.
That said smooth and refinish is the most practical solution.
Worth noting, just to confuse you, is that this series of airfoils is
very sensitive to leading edge shape.
Most have been sanded too round.
If you're flying it for fun, don't worry, just enjoy it.
FWIW
UH
Old November 11th 11, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Nov 10, 6:16*pm, wrote:

The Wortmann FX67 series airfoil coordinates are available.
That said smooth and refinish is the most practical solution.
Worth noting, just to confuse you, is that this series of airfoils is
very sensitive to leading edge shape.
Most have been sanded too round.
If you're flying it for fun, don't worry, just enjoy it.

What Hank said. The FX67 family of profiles, especially in the thicker
variants like around 17% (for example the FX67K170), are sensitive to
contour at the very leading edge, and are very sensitive to
contaminants (bugs, rain, chips, dings, and especially paint orange-
peel) across the entire surface back to the point of max depth.
Unfortunately, the commonly-available FX67 coordinate sets do not have
the abundance of data points that many other profiles have, so the
contour in the tightly-curved leading is somewhat open to
interpretation.

Thanks, Bob K.