Air cars ?

Old December 24th 03, 03:41 PM
Felger Carbon

Default Air cars ?

A humorous, dispeptic view of air cars:

http://www.theregister.com/content/6/34646.html

Old December 28th 03, 04:45 AM
Ray Toews

Air accident fatalities in Oregon are way up,,,,one old timer is
quoted as saying he believes the problem is too many people with more
money and desire than brains and respect.

ray

Old December 30th 03, 10:35 PM
George Vranek

I (a retired aeronautical engineer and hobby flyer with 3000+ hours)
believe, that the time is ripe for a serious view of air cars. There are
hundreds of 2-seat cars with 400+ hp in serial production and thousands
being produced by tuning workshops. The only way for such cars, to avoid the
traffic jam on public roads, is to fly! Please have a look at
www.vranek.ch/aerocar.htm
and publish your comments in this NG.

George

Old December 31st 03, 01:20 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"George Vranek" wrote:

I (a retired aeronautical engineer and hobby flyer with 3000+ hours)
believe, that the time is ripe for a serious view of air cars. There are
hundreds of 2-seat cars with 400+ hp in serial production and thousands
being produced by tuning workshops. The only way for such cars, to avoid the
traffic jam on public roads, is to fly! Please have a look at
www.vranek.ch/aerocar.htm
and publish your comments in this NG.

It's already been tried -- disastrously! The website shows a Porsche
911 attached to a set of Cessna Mixmaster wings/tail booms, with a
symbolic engine driving it.

The original had a Ford Pinto and a turboprop engine. The car separated
from the wings about 200 feet in the air on the first flight -- happened
about 20-30 years ago.

The trouble with flying cars is that every attempt has resulted in a
poorly-performing airplane coupled with a lousy car.

To make both perform requires a lot of horsepower and subsequent high
operating costs.
Old December 31st 03, 04:02 AM
James

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"George Vranek" wrote:

[...]

This ought to be interesting.

In the 1950s and'60s, Leland Bryan produced a series of highway-certified
folding-wing Roadables that used their pusher propellers for both air and
road power. Bryan died in the crash of his Roadable III in 1974. And in
1973, Henry Smolinski, mimicking the ConVaii-Car rental unit concept,
fastened the wings, tail, and aft engine of a Cessna Skymaster to a Ford
Pinto. The wing struts collapsed on its first test flight, killing Smolinski
and the pilot.

http://www.fordpinto.com/mitzar1.htm

http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/aircraf.../info/info.htm - An
AEROCAR link, at least this one flew.

James Taylor
www.AICompany.com

Old December 31st 03, 04:17 AM
Jerry Springer

James wrote:

This ought to be interesting.

In the 1950s and'60s, Leland Bryan produced a series of highway-certified
folding-wing Roadables that used their pusher propellers for both air and
road power. Bryan died in the crash of his Roadable III in 1974. And in
1973, Henry Smolinski, mimicking the ConVaii-Car rental unit concept,
fastened the wings, tail, and aft engine of a Cessna Skymaster to a Ford
Pinto. The wing struts collapsed on its first test flight, killing Smolinski
and the pilot.

http://www.fordpinto.com/mitzar1.htm

http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/aircraf.../info/info.htm - An
AEROCAR link, at least this one flew.

James Taylor
www.AICompany.com

That was a sad accident, I was at Oshkosh in '74 when that happened. I got to
look it over the day before the accident. I believe if that accident had not
happened Roadable Aircars would be much more common today.

Jerry

Old December 31st 03, 09:29 AM
David O

"George Vranek" wrote:

I (a retired aeronautical engineer and hobby flyer with 3000+ hours)
believe, that the time is ripe for a serious view of air cars. There are
hundreds of 2-seat cars with 400+ hp in serial production and thousands
being produced by tuning workshops. The only way for such cars, to avoid the
traffic jam on public roads, is to fly! Please have a look at
www.vranek.ch/aerocar.htm
and publish your comments in this NG.

George

Pretty CAD picture you have there. IMHO, there is no market for such
a vehicle beyond perhaps a handful of eccentrics. The rest of the
pilot population would continue to drive non-aircar cars, fly
non-aircar airplanes, and simply call a cab or rent a car at a
destination airport when necessary. At least your aircar concept has
wings, unlike several of the "Jetson" aircar concepts out there. The
"Jetson" aircars are suppose to liftoff vertically and take mom to the
grocery store with the push of a button -- equally ill-concieved but
for different reasons.

Least you think I'm totally against aircars, I found this aircar
concept somewhat appealing,

http://www.airplanezone.com/NewsgroupPix/Enterprise.jpg

David O -- http://www.AirplaneZone.com

Old January 2nd 04, 11:07 PM
George Vranek

"David O" wrote in message

Pretty CAD picture you have there. IMHO, there is no market for such
a vehicle beyond perhaps a handful of eccentrics. The rest of the
pilot population would continue to drive non-aircar cars, fly
non-aircar airplanes, and simply call a cab or rent a car at a
destination airport when necessary. At least your aircar concept has
wings, unlike several of the "Jetson" aircar concepts out there. The
"Jetson" aircars are suppose to liftoff vertically and take mom to the
grocery store with the push of a button -- equally ill-concieved but
for different reasons.

Least you think I'm totally against aircars, I found this aircar
concept somewhat appealing,

http://www.airplanezone.com/NewsgroupPix/Enterprise.jpg

David O -- http://www.AirplaneZone.com

I am sorry, but I don't know what IMHO means. The handful of eccentrics is a
very small, but certain market for an aerocar. There is a number of people
able to pay 250'000 $ and more for a car with two seats and 400+ hp. I am
sure, that some day, somebody of them, will install the wing and tail from
an old Cessna Skymaster on his car and will fly it to Oskosh. I hope, that
you will than publish a picture and a competent description of it in your
home page, which contains the best Oskosh report I have ever seen.

George www.vranek.ch/aerocar.htm

Old January 2nd 04, 11:20 PM
Aardvark

I am sorry, but I don't know what IMHO means.
George

"IMHO" stands for "In My Humble Opinion"

Old January 3rd 04, 07:41 AM
David O

"George Vranek" wrote:

I am sorry, but I don't know what IMHO means.

Sorry, it stands for "in my humble opinion".

The handful of eccentrics is a
very small, but certain market for an aerocar. There is a number of people
able to pay 250'000 $ and more for a car with two seats and 400+ hp. I am
sure, that some day, somebody of them, will install the wing and tail from
an old Cessna Skymaster on his car and will fly it to Oskosh. I hope, that
you will than publish a picture and a competent description of it in your
home page, which contains the best Oskosh report I have ever seen.

Thanks for the compliment. Yes, I would indeed publish a picture,
perhaps more than one, along with the best description I could muster.

Happy new year,

David O -- http://www.AirplaneZone.com