Tossing factory EGT, replacing with JPI or similar

Old April 5th 04, 01:03 AM
Ben Jackson

Default Tossing factory EGT, replacing with JPI or similar

I understand that if I had a CHT, and it had a redline (I don't have one
at all, probably because the PA-24 doesn't have cowl flaps) I would need
to keep my CHT or get something certified to be a primary CHT.

Are there any rules regarding EGT? The one I have is pretty useless. It's
an analog gauge that displays only relative EGT (it's marked in 100s of
degrees F, and a thumbwheel lets you adjust the position of the indicating
needle). I'd just leave it, except it's a 2.25" instrument right where
I'd like to put the digital replacement.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old April 5th 04, 01:13 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Ben Jackson" wrote in message
I understand that if I had a CHT, and it had a redline (I don't have one
at all, probably because the PA-24 doesn't have cowl flaps) I would need
to keep my CHT or get something certified to be a primary CHT.

Are there any rules regarding EGT? The one I have is pretty useless.

It's
an analog gauge that displays only relative EGT (it's marked in 100s of
degrees F, and a thumbwheel lets you adjust the position of the indicating
needle). I'd just leave it, except it's a 2.25" instrument right where
I'd like to put the digital replacement.

Lycoming IO-540, right?

Definitely the EDM-700. http://jpinstruments.com/edm_700.html along with a
set of GAMIjectors.

You can probably get one cheaper, but not likely _better_.

Old April 5th 04, 02:41 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Tom Sixkiller wrote:

Lycoming IO-540, right?

Definitely the EDM-700. http://jpinstruments.com/edm_700.html along with a
set of GAMIjectors.

That's what I'm thinking, or possibly an EDM-800. I'd like to have
MP/RPM because the primary gauges for those are wayyy out of my scan.

Right now I'm trying to figure out if I can put it where I want: Right
where the stock EGT is now.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old April 5th 04, 02:57 AM
Jay Honeck

That's what I'm thinking, or possibly an EDM-800. I'd like to have
MP/RPM because the primary gauges for those are wayyy out of my scan.

The 800 looks cool. We've got the 700, and upon installation it rapidly
became a primary flight instrument.

We use it for leaning, we use it for diagnosis, we use it for early warning,
and we use it for peace of mind. It's a wonderful tool.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 5th 04, 03:02 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Ben Jackson" wrote in message
In article ,
Tom Sixkiller wrote:

Lycoming IO-540, right?

Definitely the EDM-700. http://jpinstruments.com/edm_700.html along with

set of GAMIjectors.

That's what I'm thinking, or possibly an EDM-800. I'd like to have
MP/RPM because the primary gauges for those are wayyy out of my scan.

Right now I'm trying to figure out if I can put it where I want: Right
where the stock EGT is now.

That's usually where they go. I'd suspect that (??) some of the wiring would
already be in place.

How about the GAMI's?

Old April 5th 04, 03:33 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Tom Sixkiller wrote:
Right now I'm trying to figure out if I can put it where I want: Right
where the stock EGT is now.

That's usually where they go. I'd suspect that (??) some of the wiring would
already be in place.

I don't think I'd want to re-use one mis-matched EGT probe with the other
five. I dug up a picture of a 'stock' 260 panel (mine is far from stock
on the left side) and lo and behold, no EGT at all. My EGT is where the
stock suction gauge was.

How about the GAMI's?

I need the multi-channel EGT to know if I need those!

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old April 5th 04, 04:18 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Ben Jackson wrote:

I understand that if I had a CHT, and it had a redline (I don't have one
at all, probably because the PA-24 doesn't have cowl flaps) I would need
to keep my CHT or get something certified to be a primary CHT.

Are there any rules regarding EGT?

My aircraft has a list of mandatory (AKA "standard") equipment and a list of optional
equipment. If you can get the same lists for your aircraft, and if the EGT is not
listed as mandatory equipment, it can be removed.

George Patterson
This marriage is off to a shaky start. The groom just asked the band to
play "Your cheatin' heart", and the bride just requested "Don't come home
a'drinkin' with lovin' on your mind".
Old April 5th 04, 06:54 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Ben Jackson" wrote in message
In article ,
Tom Sixkiller wrote:
Right now I'm trying to figure out if I can put it where I want: Right
where the stock EGT is now.

That's usually where they go. I'd suspect that (??) some of the wiring

would
already be in place.

I don't think I'd want to re-use one mis-matched EGT probe with the other
five. I dug up a picture of a 'stock' 260 panel (mine is far from stock
on the left side) and lo and behold, no EGT at all. My EGT is where the
stock suction gauge was.

I wasn't thinking of the probe wires, but now that you mention it that's
makes sense.

In a Bonanza, it fits into the standard EGT readout slot.

How about the GAMI's?

I need the multi-channel EGT to know if I need those!

(Oh believe me, if you have Fuel Injection, you NEED them. :~)

From what I gather, you can't get a proper reading from a multi-channel EG
with stock injectors. Check of John Deakin's articles in AvWeb about that.
What's more, better CHT's, fuel savings, SMOOTHER running...

Tom
--
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid

Old April 5th 04, 10:14 AM
Musky

Bravo to Ben---the EDM 700 is the best $1800 we ever spent: $1500 for
the unit plus 6 hrs installation, but we had the engine out anyway.
Expect 8 hrs at your local shop rate. We just have Volts, EGT, and CHT,
didn't opt (yet) for OAT, fuel flow, or the other possibilities.

How about the GAMI's?

I need the multi-channel EGT to know if I need those!

(Oh believe me, if you have Fuel Injection, you NEED them. :~)

Lycoming already uses tuned injectors on the 4-bangers. Our Lyco IO-360
(in a Beech C24R) maintains CHT within 15 degrees for all cylinders, and
LOP is smooth as silk. Correct this last to read "if you have a
Continental engine, or a Lycoming 6-cylinder, you NEED them!"

best of luck

Old April 5th 04, 09:21 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Musky" wrote in message
Bravo to Ben---the EDM 700 is the best $1800 we ever spent: $1500 for
the unit plus 6 hrs installation, but we had the engine out anyway.
Expect 8 hrs at your local shop rate. We just have Volts, EGT, and CHT,
didn't opt (yet) for OAT, fuel flow, or the other possibilities.

How about the GAMI's?

I need the multi-channel EGT to know if I need those!

(Oh believe me, if you have Fuel Injection, you NEED them. :~)

Lycoming already uses tuned injectors on the 4-bangers.

CMIIW but Lycoming's have tuned INDUCTION, not tuned injectors.

Our Lyco IO-360
(in a Beech C24R) maintains CHT within 15 degrees for all cylinders, and
LOP is smooth as silk.

How about EGT's?