WxWorx or Anywhere Wx

Old July 8th 05, 12:24 AM
Jon Kraus

Default WxWorx or Anywhere Wx

We are contemplating adding a weather uplink system and was wondering
what experience you have had on the WxWorx or Anywhere Wx. We are
leading towards the Anywhere Wx but wanted to get some comments on both.
Thanks!!

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201

Old July 8th 05, 01:41 AM
Mike Murdock

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap396/

Old July 8th 05, 01:59 AM
Jon Kraus

I already have a 430 so the GPS is covered. I am just interested in a
weather package... Thanks!!

Jon Kraus

Old July 8th 05, 02:10 AM
Mike Murdock

If you want an installed solution, you will probably want to buy the
components (WxWorx receiver, PDA or PC to display it, and a GPS source.).
However, if you are looking for a portable solution, the Garmin 396 is the
first self-contained (if you don't count the antennas as separate units) XM
weather device.

-Mike

Old July 8th 05, 02:43 AM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

I have the NavAero EFB tPad 800. (www.Navaero.com) B/c it has a hard drive,
it fails on 2+hr flights above 9 to 11,000ft. Having a full blown PC w/
WinXP is great other than that.

I won't take off in weather w/o my WxWorks. Try to get a display w/o a
hard drive. YRMV.

--

Thx, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

Old July 8th 05, 03:21 AM
Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
Jon Kraus wrote:
We are contemplating adding a weather uplink system and was wondering
what experience you have had on the WxWorx or Anywhere Wx. We are
leading towards the Anywhere Wx but wanted to get some comments on both.
Thanks!!

Jon,

You may want to consider the AnywhereWx package. In addition to
weather, you also get A/FD information, FBO information,
hotel/restaurant information, and fuel prices (though the fuel database
is new and sparse right now.) Bottom line is that with the AnywhereWx
package, you get some extras that competitors do not provide, but are a
great reference even if you carry A/FDs and the AOPA directory. Plus,
you'll have a decent backup GPS display if you choose to use it.

JKG
Old July 8th 05, 03:48 AM
Jim N.

If you already have a 430, have you looked at the GDL69? It downlinks near
realtime Nexrad radar along with graphical metars.

An added bonus is XM satellite radio, which has better than CD quality sound
and over 110 channels.

Old July 8th 05, 11:11 AM
Guy Byars

I just bought the Anywhere WX system for my Skylane. It uses the iPAQ 4705
for display, Garmin 10 GPS and the WxWrox XM receiver all connected via
bluetooth. Cost was around $2700. Although I haven't flown next to any
weather with it, having NexRad in the cockpit is awesome! Some of the other
features of the system are nice, yet other features are worthless to me, but
the weather is great. I also like clicking on the map and seeing the METARS
and TAF's. I have pulled the plane out of the hangar and tested it numerous
times... works like a charm.

The system included a package called Pocket Plates, which has all the
approach plates for the US stored in a SD card on the ipaq. This package is
interesting, but not very useful. The ipaq display is too small to show the
whole plate. It lets you zoom in on the plate, but then you can see only
small portions of the plate at a time. Not much use to me.

I was skeptical of a system that uses an iPAQ... I HATE tapping through
menus while flying... but I got the hot keys setup in the program with most
everything I want to do, so it isn't too much of a chore. I am a
professional software developer, so I am comfortable with the mechanics of
the pocket pc.

:Like you, I have a Garmin GNS 430, so the GPS is covered, but having a
battery powered ipaq and gps is a very nice backup. Although the Anywhere
WX has flight planning, I won't use it, I will use the 430 for that. Again,
the anywhere map is for primarily for weather and GPS backup.

The Garmin 396 looks like a great system. My father just bought an Anywhere
WX system, but I am going to recommend he return it and get a 396. Why? He
is barely computer literate so working an ipaq might be a headache for him.
Also, he wants to move the system between his many airplanes, and the
Anywhere WX system has lots of wires and plugs. I only have one plane and
don't plan to move the system around, so all my wires are neatly routed and
tucked away.

I also got a quote from the local avionics shop for a panel mounted MX-20
with the GL-69 Wx receiver. Price was around $17,000. The Anywhere System
gave me more features for a fraction of the cost.

I could have bought the GL-69 receiver and had the weather displayed on my
430. I decided against hat because the 430 display is small and terrible
for weather display and it still would have cost nearly $5,000. The ipaq
has a beautiful display.

Guy Byars

Old July 8th 05, 11:43 AM
Greg Davis

I'd wait and get the Garmin 396. I have the Anywhere system and it does
have lots of problems. Nothing that can't be overcome if you like working
with computers, etc. Just look at the forums at controlvision.com for
details. It's a cobbled together system. The 396 is an all in one box,
that works.

Old July 8th 05, 12:51 PM
Jon Kraus

I have looked at it but was scared off by the $5000.00 price tag.

Jon Kraus

Jim N. wrote:
If you already have a 430, have you looked at the GDL69? It downlinks near
realtime Nexrad radar along with graphical metars.

An added bonus is XM satellite radio, which has better than CD quality sound
and over 110 channels.

WxWorx flight test Dan Luke Instrument Flight Rules 22 October 12th 03 02:54 PM
WxWorx continued Dan Luke Instrument Flight Rules 8 September 27th 03 01:05 PM
WxWorx continued Dan Luke Piloting 8 September 27th 03 01:05 PM
(long) WxWorx arrived...(and NavAero) Lenny Sawyer Instrument Flight Rules 1 September 10th 03 12:39 AM
(long) WxWorx arrived...(and NavAero) Lenny Sawyer Piloting 1 September 10th 03 12:39 AM