WxWorx or Anywhere Wx

Old July 10th 05, 03:10 AM
Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
"Mike Murdock" wrote:
They refer to each scan as "base reflectivity", no matter what elevation the
radar is tilted to. The point is that the colors you see in your airplane
represent the highest level of all the different elevations scanned for that
area.

I'm not sure of the source of your information, since you didn't provide
a direct reference, and it doesn't seem to appear on the WxWorx web
site. Certainly, none of the information that WxWorx provides on their
web site confirms that a composite reflectivity image is provided, and
the information that you provide suggests that the image is a base
reflectivity image with some "educated guessing" involved in order to
attempt to paint a composite-like picture using some base reflectivity
data. However, I'm not a radar expert, so perhaps I'm misinterpreting
something along the way.

I have never put the WxWorx and NWS products side by side to see how
they compare. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has done
such a comparison. WxWorx seems to be somewhat guarded about the
details, or at least I haven't found a good source for the details yet.

I have heard that WxWorx does a pretty good job of painting the heavy
and severe stuff with yellows and reds, but I've personally had some
yellow cells sneak up on me all of a sudden in a sea of green. Seems
that echo tops (which I had turned off at the time) may have shown a
higher-level return before the cells actually painted yellow on the
NEXRAD image.

JKG
Old July 10th 05, 03:14 AM
Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
"Robbie S." wrote:
Never leave the 4705 or the Garmin GPS10 bluetooth receiver in the plane
after you land. It won't handle high temperatures. I also keep a vent
pointed towards it while airborne. Twice when the weather go really nasty,
the operating system hung up (due to heat) and I had to reboot while
enduring turbulance.

I've heard of the lock-ups, though I have a 4705 and haven't experienced
them. I've heard from folks who have had their 4705's replaced by HP
under warranty, and the replacement ones are less prone to lock ups. I
haven't heard anyone complain about the new Dells locking up, and the
Dells are less expensive, but I'm not sure about their durability or
performance.

JKG
Old July 10th 05, 03:35 AM
Robbie S.

The Dells are much slower than the IPAQ 4705. The heat problem is well
documented for the 4705, but the real problem was not knowing. Now that I
know, I don't have any issues with it and the whole setup works like a
charm.

....Robbie.

Old July 10th 05, 04:06 AM
Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
"Robbie S." wrote:

The Dells are much slower than the IPAQ 4705. The heat problem is well
documented for the 4705, but the real problem was not knowing. Now that I
know, I don't have any issues with it and the whole setup works like a
charm.

Even the Dell Axim x50v? It appears to have the same processor specs as
the 4705, but a slightly smaller display.

In any case, I think the key with the 4705 is to keep air circulation
going when the ambient temperatures are high. I haven't had a problem
with it regardless, but I did a clean install of AnywhereWx a while ago
and immediately performed a backup. So hopefully, if I ever need to
hard reset, I can restore the system fairly quickly.

JKG
Old July 11th 05, 01:50 AM
Andrew Gideon

Jonathan Goodish wrote:

Not to mention that you only get NEXRAD and METARs on the 430/530
displays, unless Garmin has changed something recently.

What I was told a number of months back is that, once a 430/530 is upgraded
for WAAS, the additional WX features of the XM feed will be supported.
Whether this was ever actually, or still is, true is unknown.

But it does make sense to me, in that the WAAS upgrade is a significant
system improvement from what I've read even ignoring the actual WAAS
service. Perhaps the 430/530 haven't the power to handle/display all that
the GDL69 can provide w/o that upgrade.

- Andrew

Old July 11th 05, 01:59 AM
Andrew Gideon

Jim N. wrote:

You are correct. Garmin claims that with some upcoming changes the full
functionality of the data downlink will become available. Of course, we've
been waiting for WAAS and terrain for over two years now, with no firm
delivery in sight.

I was told a number of months back that this is included in the WAAS
upgrade. That was while the upgrade was still scheduled for...well...right
about now.

- Andrew

Old July 11th 05, 02:08 AM
Andrew Gideon

Jonathan Goodish wrote:

However, I'm not aware that the 396 has the airport directory, fuel
price, or A/FD information contained in the latest version of
AnywhereWx.

The "killer app" for AnywhereWX in my opinion is still the backup AI. If
only I'd finally break down and buy the damned thing laugh.

- Andrew

WxWorx flight test Dan Luke Instrument Flight Rules 22 October 12th 03 02:54 PM
WxWorx continued Dan Luke Instrument Flight Rules 8 September 27th 03 01:05 PM
WxWorx continued Dan Luke Piloting 8 September 27th 03 01:05 PM
(long) WxWorx arrived...(and NavAero) Lenny Sawyer Instrument Flight Rules 1 September 10th 03 12:39 AM
(long) WxWorx arrived...(and NavAero) Lenny Sawyer Piloting 1 September 10th 03 12:39 AM