Beware travelers with bratty kids

Old January 24th 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Default Beware travelers with bratty kids

Kingfish wrote:
Can't get your kid to behave on a plane? There's always Trailways...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16773655/?GT1=8921

The hell you say. Why should other people have to put up with their
shenanigans? Tell him Avis tries harder... or give 'til it Hertz. Then they
can enjoy the full experience of parenthood in pristine solitude.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old January 24th 07, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Kingfish wrote:
Can't get your kid to behave on a plane? There's always Trailways...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16773655/?GT1=8921

AirTran did everyone a favor...
- they removed the child and parents from the plane, giving the parents
time to get the child settled down
- in removing the child and parents from the plane, the aircraft was
able to procede on schedule

Everyones problems were solved. While the parents may not have been
happy, they received sufficient time to get the child under control
before the next one.

This is just another example of the "feel good" parenting that
psychologists were spouting in the 90's. In the real world, it doesn't
work. This was the first child for these parents, hopefully they have
learned a hard lesson and will not make the same mistake with the next one.
Old January 24th 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

"john smith" wrote in message

Everyones problems were solved. While the parents may not have been happy,
they received sufficient time to get the child under control before the
next one.

But......

They were not permitted to board another flight within 24 hours, and the
airline did not return their luggage or carseat.

Old January 24th 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

It is the best news I've heard about airline travel. But
why did they refund the money after they boarded the flight
and caused the disruption.

ups.com...

Old January 24th 07, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Jan 25, 7:18 am, "Jim Macklin"
wrote:
It is the best news I've heard about airline travel. But
why did they refund the money after they boarded the flight
and caused the disruption.

"Kingfish" wrote in oglegroups.com...
| Can't get your kid to behave on a plane? There's always
Trailways...

|http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16773655/?GT1=8921

Our national carrier won't allow children to be seated anywhere close
to unrelated males....
And for a minute there some people were unhappy with such a good idea

Old January 24th 07, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jake Brodsky

Kingfish wrote:
Can't get your kid to behave on a plane? There's always Trailways...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16773655/?GT1=8921

I'm appalled at how many of you were cheering AirTran on for their
behavior. I'm a father of three typically well behaved children.

Perhaps most of you prefer not to remember, but kids have energy: LOTS
of energy. Yes, my kids do sit still on aircraft. I've taught them
very well how to behave in airports and on board an airplane. They also
have practice from long road trips. They've done well --even my three
year old.

Yet everyone has an off day. I don't know what the situation was with
these parents or why their kid was such a problem. When I've traveled
with my three children, I took their car seats with them on board the
airliner. It wasn't easy. However, they felt right at home and they
all behaved very well. Expecting a child to sit still in a seat they're
not familiar with is no simple affair, especially when it has so many
buttons and stuff to play with.

I'd have given the parents a few minutes to calm the kid down. It makes
for better press...

Jake Brodsky
Old January 24th 07, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

They had a few minutes, airline departures are scheduled,
that delay for a screaming rug-rat brat, was costing more
money than you probably earn in a week, maybe even a month.
To wait longer, was going to delay passenger connections at
the next hub.

Spanking, with an open hand-finger tips, on the butt
emphasizes what you say. But you can't use logic with a
child under about 10-12 years of age, their brain simply has
not developed to that level.

Sit down, shut up and then make them do it.

. ..

Old January 24th 07, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Jake Brodsky wrote:

I'd have given the parents a few minutes to calm the kid down. It makes
for better press...

According to the story, they delayed the flight a good 15 minutes before they
got the boot. I'd say the airline was more than patient.

And frankly, if that kid had been sitting close to me when he pulled that crap,
the parents would not be happy with what was going to be said to that child. As
if I gave a ****.

I grew up flying from the age of 9 months on military transports. There's no
excuse... none... for DELAYING A FLIGHT. You may love your kids and be willing
to bend over backwards for them but I sure as hell don't and won't. If you
can't control them, don't bring them. It's as simple as that.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old January 24th 07, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Theune

Jake Brodsky wrote:
Kingfish wrote:
[...]

Just how long do you want to give them? According to the article the
flight was already delayed 15 minutes. The parents could not or would
not get the child into her seat. The plane can't pull back until
everyone is in their seat and belted in. Do you tell all the other
people on the flight that they had better not have connecting flights
because you need to delay more for these parents? Perhaps the parents
should have thought about the rest of the passengers and offered to get
off the plane because their daughter was too upset to fly. I have 2
children and yes I've had to deal with meltdowns. It's not fun but I've
had to leave restaurants because I could not get my kids to stop acting
out. Bottom line is one person should not be allowed to mess up the
lives of 112 others when it's avoidable.
Old January 24th 07, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

"John Theune" wrote in message

Just how long do you want to give them? According to the article the
flight was already delayed 15 minutes.

Did it say the 15 minute delay was caused by the unruly kid?

I got the impression ( I could be wrong - it happened once before) that
there had already been a delay boarding, and that the parents were given
virtually no time to try to settle the kid down.