All smoke no fire

Old February 26th 04, 03:20 PM
Bart

Default All smoke no fire

With all the heated debate over trival issues that I've seen in this
newsgroup, I have to say I'm really disappointed with what I'm seeing as
response to a real issue that affects the value of operating a helicopter in
the US.

Maybe you guys don't understand the impact of the proposed rule change.
Here's what they're doing if it passes, this applies to all 121,135, and 91
operators:

* You'll be requred to fly at or above 1500 AGL during non takeoff and
landing phases

* You'll be required to have pop-out floats for overwater flights.

* Regardless of the airspace, you'll have to have cloud clearance of 500
below, 1000 above, and 2000 lateral,. as well as maintaining an 1200 ft AGL
alt.

* Gone is the ability to operate "without hazard to persons or property",
You'll be required to maintain airplane-like standoff distances.

* Operation within the H/V curve, regardless of flight phase is prohibited,
(IE: NO max performance or confined area departures / appches. )

Basically stated; The FAA will be removing any reason that you would want to
operate a helicopter vs. an airplane.

If you care about this at all, please voice your opinion at:
http://www1.faa.gov/avr/arm/forum/Hy...uctorypage.htm

Bart

Old February 27th 04, 12:46 AM
Bob

Bart...

Kindly direct us to that "FAA statement" in print regarding "no reason to
operate a helicopter rather than an airplane". While I would share some of
your panic stricken sounding concerns, on the matter of the "statement", I
think that you are full of ****, and will promptly apologise when you prove
otherwise.

Bob

Old February 27th 04, 12:54 AM
Bob

OH (duh) I DO apologise already. "Basically Stated" is YOUR statement.

That's why there are NPRM's. I assume you voiced your concerns to the FAA
appropriately. This forum will get you nowhere.

Bob

Old February 27th 04, 01:31 PM
Bart

Bob,

Yes, I did respond to the FAA, both with an initial comment and to their
online meeting thing. I also carefully read the NPRM a couple times, and I
looked at the incident reports that the FAA cited as justification for the
NPRM.

My concern is for the industry as a whole. I thought back about every
air-tour weve ever done, and not one of them would be legal under the new
NPRM. I can't even imagine any customer being happy with a tour conducted at
1200-1500 ft. Especially since they can hire an airplane to do the same ride
for 1/5th the cost that we would be able to do it. We already installed
floats on machine last year, and the cost was painful. I can imagine that
this requirement would be the kiss of death for some operators.

Bart

Old February 27th 04, 02:08 PM
Rocky

"Bob" wrote in message . ..
OH (duh) I DO apologise already. "Basically Stated" is YOUR statement.

That's why there are NPRM's. I assume you voiced your concerns to the FAA
appropriately. This forum will get you nowhere.

Bob

Bob
Why run off someone with a voice of dissent? I was glad to see someone
cared enough to take time to alert those of us who DON'T spend a lot
of time watching the FAA and NPRM's.
Rocky
Old February 27th 04, 09:35 PM
Bob

Matter of fact Rocky...I apologised to Bart RIGHT OFF as I said I would,
having misunderstood his post the first time I read it, not too carefully.
Having been in in heavy helicopter operations and maintenance for some 20
years...sightseeing with 206's, Astars, Twinstars, Dauphines et.al. and
transport category ops. with S-61N's, and Chinooks...I have a clue. At the
end of the day, however, what Bart is addressing is the Bottom Line, not
fixed wing vs. helicopter performance. I share some of his views, but not
all. Floats for continuous overwater operations sounds like a good idea to
me considering the altitudes HE wants to operate at. When a single engine
fails overwater in a helicopter, where are you going??? I thought you would
arrive at that conclusion. EVEN with floats sightseeing, I have seen ONE
float deploy. What does that do for your day, and that of your sightseers?

Perhaps I shouldn't invite myself to a recreational rotorcraft forum. I
guess I've been working with pros for a LOOOng time and may get testy with
some of the opionated, but less experienced. The FAR's and the NPRM's are
there for ALL operators whether you consider yourself exempt from them or
not, and the wise pay attention. Credit to Bart in that respect. I had NO
intention of starting a ****ing contest, although I HAVE seen a few
recreationalists who should be flying around in a cage. NO reflection
intended on the rest of you although their actions do cast aspersions,
wouldn't you agree?

There's NO room up there ANYWHERE for the ignorant.
Bob

Old February 28th 04, 04:44 AM
Rocky

"Bob" wrote in message ...
[...]

Yep I pretty much agree with your point and position. Simple age has
kind of kicked me out of the seat after about 40 years so I don't have
the day to day interest that active guys like you have. When I was
making 100% of my living pulling/pushing controls in helicopters (and
airplanes) I was much more attuned to the NPRM's and made many
out how few pilots DO respond, and how much weight is given to those
who DO. In fact, it was outright scary in some cases.
Like you, I too have been known to get a bit testy and have on more
than one occasion really ****ed off a few and got BBQ'd over it. That
in part may be why so many of the old pros opted out of this NG? I
just hang around and stick in my two bits worth once in a while when
something catches my eye.
If you lose an engine with a single engine airplane over water you are
in the same mess!! I gave that a lot of thought while ferrying
helicopters down south back in the early 80's and had to go out
offshore of Nicaraugua. Didn't want to become a house guest of the
Sandanistas for any prolonged period of time!
Fly safe up there. Best professional regards
Rocky
Old February 28th 04, 05:53 AM
Bob

Rocky...
I appreciate your most courteous response and your experience. Myself, I've
been a maintenance guy for those years; bent lots of wrenches, but mostly
QC, & QA and therefore I was the first office to see all the regulatory B.S.
I've begrudgingly realized that all that nonsense was actually my passion
but it took a mandatory retirement due to MS to make me realize it. Maybe
we'll stick around and keep these guys honest, huh?
Bob

Old February 28th 04, 05:54 PM
LM Scott

"Bob" wrote in message
Rocky...
I appreciate your most courteous response and your experience. Myself,

I've
been a maintenance guy for those years; bent lots of wrenches, but mostly
QC, & QA and therefore I was the first office to see all the regulatory

B.S.
I've begrudgingly realized that all that nonsense was actually my passion
but it took a mandatory retirement due to MS to make me realize it. Maybe
we'll stick around and keep these guys honest, huh?
Bob

As a wannabe/know-nothing I sure do hope you guys will stay around to keep

this forum honest!G Bob, you might enjoy looking back through the usenet
archives although I'm not sure how to get there myself. You'll be both
entertained at how vital and dynamic this group was a few years back and
saddened too by how much we've all lost by it's near death Do you hang
out on PPRUNE? It's a real pro forum but I hope you'll still come here for
informal conversationG Larry

Old February 28th 04, 09:32 PM
Stan Gosnell

"Bart" wrote in :

With all the heated debate over trival issues that I've seen in this
newsgroup, I have to say I'm really disappointed with what I'm seeing
as response to a real issue that affects the value of operating a
helicopter in the US.

Maybe you guys don't understand the impact of the proposed rule
change. Here's what they're doing if it passes, this applies to all
121,135, and 91 operators:

No, it does not apply to all operators. Don't lie about it just to scare
people.

* You'll be requred to fly at or above 1500 AGL during non takeoff and
landing phases

No, you won't. Helicopters can still go down to 300', which IMO is too low
anyway.

* You'll be required to have pop-out floats for overwater flights.

So? You should have them if you're carrying fare-paying passengers over
water. If you don't, you're negligent.

* Regardless of the airspace, you'll have to have cloud clearance of
500 below, 1000 above, and 2000 lateral,. as well as maintaining an
1200 ft AGL alt.

For tours, I don't see the problem. It is draconian, but trying to show
the sights in low visibility is stupid anyway. This ONLY applies to tour
operations, which have a poor record in poor weather.

* Gone is the ability to operate "without hazard to persons or
property", You'll be required to maintain airplane-like standoff
distances.

Not true.

* Operation within the H/V curve, regardless of flight phase is
prohibited, (IE: NO max performance or confined area departures /
appches. )

Again, not true. Takeoff and landing are excepted. This only prohibits
hovering inside volcanoes, etc, which has been killing innocent passengers.

Basically stated; The FAA will be removing any reason that you would
want to operate a helicopter vs. an airplane.

You're full of it. All this just is not true.

If you care about this at all, please voice your opinion at:
http://www1.faa.gov/avr/arm/forum/Hy...uctorypage.htm

My opinion is that this NPRM is far overdue.

--
Regards,

Stan

Inside the Cowling Fire / Heat Detector? George Sconyers Aviation Marketplace 4 May 31st 04 01:40 AM
"Friendly fire" Mike Naval Aviation 3 April 6th 04 06:07 PM
My Engine Fire!! [email protected] Piloting 21 April 2nd 04 05:02 PM
My Engine Fire!! [email protected] Owning 1 March 31st 04 01:41 PM
"Friendly fire" Mike Military Aviation 0 March 19th 04 02:36 PM