GA friendly airports near ELP & AUS

Old November 23rd 04, 01:31 AM
ROBIN FLY

Default GA friendly airports near ELP & AUS

I am planning a flight from Los Angeles to New Orleans for some much needed R&R
during holidays. My wife does not like to fly more than two 4-hour legs a day,
so my plan is to fly from EMT to ELP for fuel & lunch than to AUS overnight.
Next morning we continue to NEW. For return trip, we will stop at AUS for fuel
& lunch and ELP overnight. However, both AUS & ELP are big airports that I
have never been to. Are they GA friendly? Can you recommend some GA friendly
airports in their areas for overnight stop? Thanks.
Old November 23rd 04, 02:44 AM
Dude

Not familiar with ELP, but Trajen at AUS is fairly GA friendly.

You might want to try T82 and stay at the Hangar hotel. It is an aviation
theme hotel, right on the field, taxi to the hotel in your plane. Also,
Fredericksburg is a nice place to visit while you are there. If you are
hard IMC, then just head for either SAT or AUS. SAT has a few FBO's for GA.

Just was at NEW. Nice folks, and even the millionaire FBO was reasonable
and friendly (not that they were unfriendly elsewhere, but you kinda felt
outclassed having only 4 seats). Taxi's are generally waiting for you
there.

Have fun!

Old November 23rd 04, 03:17 AM

I usually stop at West Texas airport. It's a little east of the big
airport in El Paso.
Nice old guy who runs it and the fuel prices are pretty good.
They also have autofuel if you desire it.
Not much for resturants or hotels, just a nice place for a quick stop
and fuel.

Dave

Old November 23rd 04, 03:08 PM
Fox Hound

I am planning a flight from Los Angeles to New Orleans for some much
needed R&R
during holidays. My wife does not like to fly more than two 4-hour legs a

day,
so my plan is to fly from EMT to ELP for fuel & lunch than to AUS

overnight.
Next morning we continue to NEW. For return trip, we will stop at AUS for

fuel
& lunch and ELP overnight. However, both AUS & ELP are big airports that

have never been to. Are they GA friendly? Can you recommend some GA

friendly
airports in their areas for overnight stop? Thanks.

Go to Georgetown to the north or San Marcos to the south instead of KAUS.

Old November 24th 04, 04:13 AM
Dan Thompson

I always stop in Las Cruces, NM on the Socal to Texas route, which is pretty
close to ELP. One of the FBO's has a restaurant, Adventure Aviation, I
think it is called.

Old November 29th 04, 07:01 PM
Scott D.

On 23 Nov 2004 01:31:30 GMT, (ROBIN FLY) wrote:

I am planning a flight from Los Angeles to New Orleans for some much needed R&R
during holidays. My wife does not like to fly more than two 4-hour legs a day,
so my plan is to fly from EMT to ELP for fuel & lunch than to AUS overnight.
Next morning we continue to NEW. For return trip, we will stop at AUS for fuel
& lunch and ELP overnight. However, both AUS & ELP are big airports that I
have never been to. Are they GA friendly? Can you recommend some GA friendly
airports in their areas for overnight stop? Thanks.

If you havnt flown into ELP, watch out and make sure that you are not
lined up on the wrong airport out there. There is an AFB that sits
real close to the airport and the runways are exactly the same, I hear
people lining up wrong all the time. As for something around AUS,
there is GTU but if it is a clear day, there is so many planes out
there, you almost have to draw lottery tickets just to get in. It can
get really busy there. There is T74 (taylor) that is nice but small
and GYB (Giddings) that are GA friendly but if you can stand to go
just a little bit further there is CLL (College Station) it is a Class
D airport with very friendly controlers plus like someone else said,
if it is IFR, they have all the types of approaches you need to get
in. Also there are numberous places to stay and eat with Texas A&M
Univeristy and the Bush Library there.

Hope this helps

Scott D
Old November 30th 04, 07:27 PM
John Galban

Scott D. wrote in message . ..

If you havnt flown into ELP, watch out and make sure that you are not
lined up on the wrong airport out there. There is an AFB that sits
real close to the airport and the runways are exactly the same, I hear
people lining up wrong all the time.

snip

It's Biggs Army Airfield (KBIF) at Fort Bliss. Their runway 3/21 is
about 2 miles north of ELP's runway 4/22. Before the days when
everyone had a GPS on their yoke, it was fairly common for KBIF to
greet an unscheduled civilian arrival.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

GA friendly airports near ELP & AUS ROBIN FLY Instrument Flight Rules 8 November 24th 04 08:50 PM
"Friendly fire" Mike Naval Aviation 3 April 6th 04 06:07 PM
"Friendly fire" Mike Military Aviation 0 March 19th 04 02:36 PM
U.S. won't have to reveal other friendly fire events: Schmidt's lawyers hoped to use other incidents to help their case Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 December 18th 03 08:44 PM