At Valle.. what is it, please?

Old June 8th 07, 02:35 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
JD Cooper[_2_]

Default At Valle.. what is it, please?

Please forgive the amateur editing out of the tourist in the pics, but
I'd like to learn what the hell this airplane is/was.

TIA!

JD

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	whatsit.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	12225  Click image for larger version

Name:	whatsit1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	12226

Old June 8th 07, 03:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave Kearton

Maple1 wrote:
JD Cooper wrote:
Please forgive the amateur editing out of the tourist in the pics,
but I'd like to learn what the hell this airplane is/was.

TIA!

JD

VAmpire

Just to add more detail to Bill's reply, it looks like an ex RAAF De
Havilland DH-100 Vampire.

Where and when did you spot it ? We might be able to fill in a few
more gaps on its history.

Certainly in a sad condition, but better than most Vampires are in at the
moment.

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old June 8th 07, 04:04 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave Kearton

Dave Kearton wrote:
Maple1 wrote:
JD Cooper wrote:
Please forgive the amateur editing out of the tourist in the pics,
but I'd like to learn what the hell this airplane is/was.

TIA!

JD

VAmpire

Just to add more detail to Bill's reply, it looks like an ex RAAF De
Havilland DH-100 Vampire.

Where and when did you spot it ? We might be able to fill in
a few more gaps on its history.

Certainly in a sad condition, but better than most Vampires are in
at the moment.

Ya know, replying to your own posts is usually a sign of too much something
or other, I just can't remember which ....

Googled 'Valle' and found one in Arizona, which has an airport, which has a
museum.

http://www.planesoffame.com/aircraft.php?site=Valle

They list the plane as a DeHavilland Vampire Mk III, I'm not sure that's
100% accurate for your photo, they may be referring to this example
http://www.davidpride.com/Aviation/PoF_165.htm which may be an ex-Rhodesian
or Zimbabwe example.

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old June 8th 07, 07:57 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Pjmac35

"JD Cooper" wrote in message
Please forgive the amateur editing out of the tourist in the pics,
but
I'd like to learn what the hell this airplane is/was.

TIA!

JD

De Havilland Vampire F Mk. 3

Regards

Pat Macguire

Old June 8th 07, 03:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
JD Cooper

Dave Kearton wrote:
Dave Kearton wrote:

Maple1 wrote:

JD Cooper wrote:

[...]

Thanks! I guess I sorta assumed most everyone here would know about the
museum at Valle... I'll be more specific next time around.

While I was there the lady up front said she did not know what the bird was.

Again... thanks!

JD

Old June 8th 07, 03:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave Kearton

JD Cooper wrote:
Dave Kearton wrote:
Dave Kearton wrote:

Maple1 wrote:

JD Cooper wrote:

[...]

My pleasure, thanks for posting.

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old June 8th 07, 10:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Peavey_HP_Signature_Guy

"JD Cooper" wrote in message
Please forgive the amateur editing out of the tourist in the pics, but
I'd like to learn what the hell this airplane is/was.

TIA!

JD

I think John Travolta has a Vampire if I am not mistaken...