Guns & Common Sense

Old July 11th 03, 01:09 PM
Veeduber

Default Guns & Common Sense

From: Veeduber )
Subject: Geezer's answer to Newbie questions
Original Format
Newsgroups: rec.guns
Date: 1997/07/09

Dear Newbie,

The size of the hole you can make with the weapon you carry for
self-defense has very little to do with the realities of carrying a
concealed weapon. The thing -- whatever it is -- is a chore and a
responsibility. It is uncomfortable to carry, tends to rust or corrode
and will eventually fall out of your belt at the supermarket bringing you
instant fame, however brief.

If you ever have to use it, the odds are you'll miss, which is
embarrassing but not necessarily bad -- there's a lot of paper-work, hit
or miss but more when you hit.

Despite conventional wisdom to the contrary, having to use your personal
weapon is never combat, which implies a certain degree of order, it is
survival, usually under conditions improssible to foresee, including the
strong likelihood the other guy will be more heavily armed than anything
you are willing to tuck in your belt, day in, day out, for years at a
time.

Your personal safety in today's society has far more to do with the state
of your mind than the specifications of what's on your hip.

As to the specifics of your questions, ask your local range-master to let
you fire a number different handguns using a variety of loads. What works
for some may not work for you. But the odds are, you will find a
five-shot .38 caliber stainless-steel revolver having a 2" barrel the most
practical weapon to wear. The reasons have more to do with logistics and
practicality than ballistics and stopping-power.

-Bob Hoover

Old July 12th 03, 05:58 AM
Barnyard BOb --

Sort of in line with the subject, I recall that during the LA riots
the locals in Fresno engaged in a bit of arson and vandalism around
the airport.
I thought, perhaps since I spent a good bit of time around the hangar
that it would be a good idea to arm myself. I purchased a little
Taurus automatic and when I showed it to one of my friends at the
hangar he suggested we chuck it in a vise and file the front sight
off. I asked him why in hell I would want to do that. He replied, when
someone takes it away from you and shoves it up your ass it won't hurt
so much.

Ed Sullivan

Ouch.
I think you've made your 'point'.

Barnyard BOb - rude, crude, but... sensitive.