Is there a trick for installing a Tinnerman spring nut?

Old July 12th 03, 06:28 PM
Michael Horowitz

Default Is there a trick for installing a Tinnerman spring nut?

Folks -

I know that if I get someone to sit inside and hold the flat Tinnerman
fastener, I can screw in a machine screw from beneath the a/c. This is
not the type of fasterner that clips on to the edge of the metal.
For one person trying to either install or remove a screw from the
afore mentioned fastener, is there a trick for holding it in place? -
Mike
Old July 12th 03, 09:18 PM
clare @ snyder.on .ca

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 13:28:33 -0400, Michael Horowitz
wrote:

Folks -

I know that if I get someone to sit inside and hold the flat Tinnerman
fastener, I can screw in a machine screw from beneath the a/c. This is
not the type of fasterner that clips on to the edge of the metal.
For one person trying to either install or remove a screw from the
afore mentioned fastener, is there a trick for holding it in place? -
Mike

A dab of RTV a few days before you need to remove it?
Old July 12th 03, 09:35 PM
BD5ER

For one person trying to either install or remove a screw from the
afore mentioned fastener, is there a trick for holding it in place? -
Mike

Double stick foam tape - like is used to hold on auto trim. It also helps
dampen vibration and protects the paint/finish from the sharp edges of the
"nut".
Old July 12th 03, 11:35 PM
Wooduuuward

Wouldn't a wellnut be a better choice for this application? as
it already has rubber on it and you can place it from the outside
in.

Old July 12th 03, 11:48 PM
Craig

Michael Horowitz wrote in message . ..
Folks -

I know that if I get someone to sit inside and hold the flat Tinnerman
fastener, I can screw in a machine screw from beneath the a/c. This is
not the type of fasterner that clips on to the edge of the metal.
For one person trying to either install or remove a screw from the
afore mentioned fastener, is there a trick for holding it in place? -
Mike

Tape one edge....

Craig C.

Old July 13th 03, 12:03 AM
Wooduuuward

Yes I know what it is:
http://www.aaronspushnuts.com/images...p210Wx130H.gif
that's why I wonder why you wouldn't be better off using a wellnut:
http://www.ondrives.com/code/product...=146&recid=725

Old July 13th 03, 01:53 AM
Big John

Richard

Remember, you can use acetone to disolve superglue if needed.

Big John

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 23:00:26 GMT, Richard Riley
wrote:

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 13:28:33 -0400, Michael Horowitz
wrote:

:Folks -
:
:I know that if I get someone to sit inside and hold the flat Tinnerman
:fastener, I can screw in a machine screw from beneath the a/c. This is
:not the type of fasterner that clips on to the edge of the metal.
:For one person trying to either install or remove a screw from the
:afore mentioned fastener, is there a trick for holding it in place? -
:Mike

a tiny drop of superglue. It won't bond well to the metal and will
pop off later if you want to remove it.

Old July 13th 03, 12:05 PM
Michael Horowitz

"Cy Galley" wrote:

Tinnerman's don't use a machine screw, They use type "B" sheet metal screw
according to my manuals and my experiences. They look like self-tapping
sheet metal screws but with a blunt tip.

The above is a correct statement and is what I see in place. - Mike

Old July 13th 03, 05:17 PM
BD5ER

Not a good idea to use any type of foam or paper tape like this.

Moisture may be a problem with paper tape and some foam tape. That's why I
specified auto trim tape. The auto industry started using it not only to make
application quicker but to reduce corosion. Quality foam tape is not
hygroscopic and will hold less moisture than what will be retained in the thin
air gap under a Tinnerman nut due to condensation.

Long term degradation could still be a problem with the foam tapes. I have
seen no evidance that they will last more than 15 to 20 years.

Also if the Tinnerman nut is placed on a painted/plated/anodized surface the
eventual rub through is going to be more of a corrosion/crack problem.

70's model VW bugs would rust from the inside out due to the foam filler used
for sound deadning retaining water........all foam is not created equal.

If you still worried about the foam part simply substitute some of the trim
"tape" that is 100% adhesive.