Are air filters necessary on Pitot, static or TE lines?

Old December 13th 18, 06:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Default Are air filters necessary on Pitot, static or TE lines?

On Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 6:14:54 PM UTC+2, Pete wrote:
What filters are you recommending that cost nothing and work well? I was thinking of going to Autozone and buying small-motor gas filters?
If there is something better I would like to use it.

Yes they are small gas filters from auto parts store. Smaller is always better, with big filter you are effectively increasing the tube volume between instrument and probe which can be problem for variometers.
Old December 13th 18, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pete[_9_]

Thanks for the input everyone.
I just redid the panel. Three new air filters for pitot, Statit and TE now installed with all new tubing. It sure does look pretty!
Old December 14th 18, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 21:55:48 -0800, krasw wrote:

On Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 6:14:54 PM UTC+2, Pete wrote:
What filters are you recommending that cost nothing and work well? I
was thinking of going to Autozone and buying small-motor gas filters?
If there is something better I would like to use it.

Yes they are small gas filters from auto parts store. Smaller is always
better, with big filter you are effectively increasing the tube volume
between instrument and probe which can be problem for variometers.

Some of the lines in my Libelle are fitted with small paper filters: made
by Crosland and fitted to Triumph Spitfires, TR6 and MGB amongst other
cars. The body is transparent plastic, 40mm overall diameter, 45mm long
and with 30mm inlet and outlet stubs suitable for 5mm or 6mm tubing.
They've been in the glider since I got it, but their location in the
plumbing is irrational - both filters are in the TE line AFTER to Y-split
to feed both varios and nothing in either static or pitot lines.

So, I've just bought two more for connection rationalisation and
installation this winter: they were fairly inexpensive. Off eBay at just
over GBP 5.00 each including P&P.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old December 18th 18, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Back in the 1960s, my father's 1-23B had a glass tube (IIRC, 2-3 cm diameter--may have been a test tube with one end cut off) with rubber stoppers in each end, each of which had a metal/plastic tube inserted to connect up with the standard clear plastic instrument tubing.

Each spring he filled the glass tube with silica gel crystals (not sure if he baked the old crystals to drive out moisture and reused them or just used new). The objective was to prevent moisture from entering his Cosim pellet vario. Pellet varios were notoriously sensitive to moisture, which sometimes caused the lightweight red/green pellets to stick in their tubes.

Today's varios aren't nearly as sensitive to moisture, apparently. So for all the wailing about too much technology in soaring, we've made some progress.

Chip Bearden
Old December 18th 18, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 15:39:06 -0800, chip.bearden wrote:

Today's varios aren't nearly as sensitive to moisture, apparently. So
for all the wailing about too much technology in soaring, we've made
some progress.

I rather took the remarks about small bugs crawling into my instruments
to heart and yesterday I replumbed my panel: now TE, pitot and static
lines all have a Crosland paper filter in them between the instruments
and the multi-way quick-connect that all three lines go through. It looks
a bit tidier too.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old December 18th 18, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
7K

Have used at least 10 of these over the years with very good success. Quality built and readily available at NAPA. Last glider I did (DUO) had a wad of bugs caught in one of these filters. They crawled all the way from the top of the vertical fin to just behind the wheel and made a nest in the filter.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/FIL3011