GA Callsigns

Old March 15th 08, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Default GA Callsigns

Jay Maynard wrote in
:

On 2008-03-15, Jay Honeck wrote:
I used to fly a Cessna Cutlass. When I checked in using that type,
controllers often came back with "November xxxxx" because they
seldom heard that type, I suppose...or they said "Douglas xxxxx" or
"Cardinal xxxxx" or some such.

We long ago gave up saying "Pathfinder November five six niner nine
tree" -- all you get is a lot of "What's that?" from controllers.
We just say "Dakota five six niner niner tree" now, and they all get
it.

I'm curious to see what the reactions to "Zodiac five five zulu
charlie" will be. There's not much I can replace it with.

What do I tell ATC when they ask what that is? (Aside from "my
airplane", of course.)

Normally it's "experimental" for a homebuilt.

Bertie
Old March 15th 08, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

B A R R Y wrote in
:

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 13:17:29 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

We long ago gave up saying "Pathfinder November five six niner nine
tree" -- all you get is a lot of "What's that?" from controllers.
We just say "Dakota five six niner niner tree" now, and they all get
it.

Try "Sundowner"...

Then, you give them Bravo-Echo-2-3 as a type, and get "Why is your
Bonanza going so slow?" several times, as BE33 was typed in to the ATC
system. G

Or you could say musketeer.

They want to have a rough idea of the shape of your airplane and it's
performance. That's why they ask. They aren't interested in your HP how
many goo gaas the airplane has or the color of the upholstery.

Bertie

Old March 15th 08, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Marco Leon" wrote in message

We were always taught to refer to ourselves on the radio with our full
callsigns until ATC refers to us with a shortened callsign (i.e. the last
three characters). However, I've noticed that the majority of the approach
controllers refer to most of the GA aircraft as "November" followed by
their numbers/letters. My question (to controllers in particular) is, do
they prefer us to refer to ourselves thereafter as "November xxxxxx" as
well or do they prefer us to keep with the "Cherokee/Cessna/Mooney..."
moniker?

I prefer that pilots refer to themselves by aircraft name and full
registration less "November"; "Skylark niner eight zero one victor", "Colt
one fower fife tree alpha", "Navion six seven two two bravo", "Seabee two
tree eight sierra charlie", etc.

Old March 15th 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

On 2008-03-15, Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Jay Maynard" wrote in message
I'm curious to see what the reactions to "Zodiac five five zulu charlie"
will be. There's not much I can replace it with.
What do I tell ATC when they ask what that is? (Aside from "my airplane",
of course.)

Try CH60.

Will they be able to answer their questions by asking their computer what a
CH60 is? What is it they need to know about an aircraft that knowing the
model tells them, anyway?
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
http://www.hercules-390.org (Yes, that's me!)
Old March 15th 08, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jay Maynard" wrote in message

Will they be able to answer their questions by asking their computer what
CH60 is? What is it they need to know about an aircraft that knowing the
model tells them, anyway?

CH60 tells them what to enter as the aircraft type if they do intend to
enter it into the flight data computer. That's probably all they're looking
for. You've told them you're a Zodiac so they already know what to call
you.

Old March 15th 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

On 2008-03-15, Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
CH60 tells them what to enter as the aircraft type if they do intend to
enter it into the flight data computer. That's probably all they're looking
for. You've told them you're a Zodiac so they already know what to call
you.

Okkay, thanks. Don't want to give them a long soliloquy if they're just
interested in one bit of info.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)
Old March 15th 08, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 13:58:31 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

Or you could say musketeer.

I could.

But I don't want to! G

It all usually boils down to "Beech 5-8...

Old March 15th 08, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

B A R R Y wrote in
:

wrote:

Or you could say musketeer.

I could.

But I don't want to! G

It all usually boils down to "Beech 5-8...

ONce they know what you are...

Bertie
Old March 15th 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

We long ago gave up saying "Pathfinder November five six niner nine
tree" -- all you get is a lot of "What's that?" from controllers. We
just say "Dakota five six niner niner tree" now, and they all get it.

According to the FAA registration database N56993 is assigned to a PA-28-235
manufactured in 1973. That would make it a Cherokee Charger, the PA-28-235
would be renamed Cherokee Pathfinder in 1974. The Dakota came along in 1979
as the PA-28-236 with the tapered wing.