Comparing Nano 4 with Colibri X

Old February 25th 20, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Szikora

Default Comparing Nano 4 with Colibri X

On the Cumulus Soaring website, it described the Nano 4 map as North Up only. Yet the most recent manual from LXNav says you can select North Up or Track Up. I wonder if updated firmware allows the Track Up option now. Does anyone know? I also read the Colibri X manual and it does specify Track Up only. It seems to me that Track Up is the only way any us us would want to fly. Any opinions one way or the other? Lastly, does anyone know what the orientation is for the limited mapping capability of the Nano 3? The manual never mentions this but I suspect it is North Up only. I’m new to moving maps and want to pick something up for use in club ships. Thanks.
Old February 25th 20, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]

On Tuesday, February 25, 2020 at 9:00:28 AM UTC-8, Stephen Szikora wrote:
On the Cumulus Soaring website, it described the Nano 4 map as North Up only. Yet the most recent manual from LXNav says you can select North Up or Track Up. I wonder if updated firmware allows the Track Up option now. Does anyone know? I also read the Colibri X manual and it does specify Track Up only. It seems to me that Track Up is the only way any us us would want to fly. Any opinions one way or the other? Lastly, does anyone know what the orientation is for the limited mapping capability of the Nano 3? The manual never mentions this but I suspect it is North Up only. I’m new to moving maps and want to pick something up for use in club ships. Thanks.

I have a 2017 model Nano4. It has options for Track up and North up.
Best regards,
Craig
JN
Old February 26th 20, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

" It seems to me that Track Up is the only way any us us would want to fly."

There are split opinions on this. A majority of the cross country pilots I have asked prefer north up, as do I. In north up I can relate what I see on the moving map to what I saw on the paper chart when I was planning the flight and to what I see on it if I need to consult it in flight.

A rotating moving map is no use to anyone - but most systems offer an intermediate option of track up in the cruise, north up when circling.
Old February 26th 20, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

For normal thermal flying (circling), "track up" display seems to work best. For wave flying, North up is better because it allows more accurate reference to upwind/downwind track and ground reference points.
Old February 28th 20, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

On Tuesday, February 25, 2020 at 6:35:53 PM UTC-5, waremark wrote:
" It seems to me that Track Up is the only way any us us would want to fly."

There are split opinions on this. A majority of the cross country pilots I have asked prefer north up, as do I. In north up I can relate what I see on the moving map to what I saw on the paper chart when I was planning the flight and to what I see on it if I need to consult it in flight.

A rotating moving map is no use to anyone - but most systems offer an intermediate option of track up in the cruise, north up when circling.

I totally agree! If you are going anywhere beyond your home field North up allows you to relate to the real world and every normal map. How could anyone use track up? It would make you dizzy thermalling.
Old February 28th 20, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Friday, February 28, 2020 at 7:10:49 AM UTC-8, Soartech wrote:
On Tuesday, February 25, 2020 at 6:35:53 PM UTC-5, waremark wrote:
" It seems to me that Track Up is the only way any us us would want to fly."

There are split opinions on this. A majority of the cross country pilots I have asked prefer north up, as do I. In north up I can relate what I see on the moving map to what I saw on the paper chart when I was planning the flight and to what I see on it if I need to consult it in flight.

A rotating moving map is no use to anyone - but most systems offer an intermediate option of track up in the cruise, north up when circling.

I totally agree! If you are going anywhere beyond your home field North up allows you to relate to the real world and every normal map. How could anyone use track up? It would make you dizzy thermalling.

I use North up circling and track up flying, except in wave flying I use North up.
Old February 28th 20, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Szikora

I did some reading on XCSoar (which I don’t use but am considering) and I like the third option they offer, target up, when circling. I think I would prefer track up with the automatic target up while circling. That solves the spinning map issue.
Old February 28th 20, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I use Track Up when cruising and, when I thermal, my map switches to
North Up automagically.

--
Dan, 5J
Old February 28th 20, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I continue to use Track Up when flying wave as both my ClearNav II and
Streak/XCSoar display a handy dandy wind arrow to show where the wind is
acting on the glider.

Old February 28th 20, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Is that track up or nose up?

I never saw an option for it, but nose up might work while holding position in wave.