Paint Jobs

Old January 20th 05, 02:48 AM
nobody

Default Paint Jobs

In an update to an earlier post "Decision time - Our partnership decided to
sell our '77 Warrior II while it still had about 400 hrs left before
TBO....." The oil analysis came back and it didn't show any glaring
problems so we have decided to keep it and fly it on through TBO.

Since we are going to keep it for a while, we need to get it painted.
Murmer is down here by us at AXH but they are pricey. I can't see putting a
12K paint job on a 35K plane. There are a few shops in Mena, AR that have
offered some pretty good quotes. Does anybody have any experience with
them? I'm looking for recommendations or horror stories about paint shops
in the area. Anywhere within about 600nm of Houston is reasonably local.

Thanks,
Ed

N40008

Old January 20th 05, 04:32 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"nobody" wrote:

In an update to an earlier post "Decision time - Our partnership decided to
sell our '77 Warrior II while it still had about 400 hrs left before
TBO....." The oil analysis came back and it didn't show any glaring
problems so we have decided to keep it and fly it on through TBO.

Since we are going to keep it for a while, we need to get it painted.
Murmer is down here by us at AXH but they are pricey. I can't see putting a
12K paint job on a 35K plane. There are a few shops in Mena, AR that have
offered some pretty good quotes. Does anybody have any experience with
them? I'm looking for recommendations or horror stories about paint shops
in the area. Anywhere within about 600nm of Houston is reasonably local.

Thanks,
Ed

N40008

The big problem with paint shops is preparation. After the plane is
stripped, the paint must be thoroughly removed from seam areas and
completely dry before any primer is applied. The mark of poor prep is
filiform corrosion, where the paint starts to blister -- especially near
seams. It usually takes a couple of years to see filiform corrosion,
too, which takes us out of warranty.

Old January 20th 05, 02:28 PM
Denny

$12K for a paint job on a Warrior??? It says to me that either you
have significant skin damage, etc., or that you are planning airbrush
artwork... Run of the mill paint job will be ~$6K by the time it's
done... A standard three color paint job on my twin is quoted under
$12k...

Denny

Old January 20th 05, 04:03 PM
Dave Butler

nobody wrote:

Since we are going to keep it for a while, we need to get it painted.
Murmer is down here by us at AXH but they are pricey. I can't see putting a
12K paint job on a 35K plane. There are a few shops in Mena, AR that have
offered some pretty good quotes. Does anybody have any experience with
them? I'm looking for recommendations or horror stories about paint shops
in the area. Anywhere within about 600nm of Houston is reasonably local.

I put together a list of paint shops in my area when we were planning to get the
Mooney painted. Unfortuantely, it's centered on where I live (NC), rather than
where you live. Anyway: http://www.employees.org/~dgbutler/201/paint.html

Dave
Old January 20th 05, 05:33 PM
nobody

"...AXH but they are pricey..."

They have a waiting list and have all the work they can handle. We have two
repairs but that wasn't included in the price. One of the places in Mena
said they can do it for 5K with 10 hrs of repair included. Just don't know
the quality of their work. 5K isn't a deal if you have to do it again in
3-5 years.

Eddie

oups.com...

Old January 20th 05, 08:22 PM
Aaron Coolidge

nobody wrote:

: They have a waiting list and have all the work they can handle. We have two
: repairs but that wasn't included in the price. One of the places in Mena
: said they can do it for 5K with 10 hrs of repair included. Just don't know
: the quality of their work. 5K isn't a deal if you have to do it again in
: 3-5 years.

It's not too bad a deal if it works for 5 years. You could get 2.5 paintjobs
for the same $12k, that's over 12 years.
--
Aaron C.
Old January 20th 05, 10:39 PM

A quick way to reference how good a job the shop does is ask for a list
of aircraft they painted 3-4 years ago and talk to a sample of those
owners. A poor quality job will have shown up by then.
Craig C.

One coat paint for aluminum? [email protected] Home Built 10 September 17th 04 07:01 AM
Good Paint Remover? Marco Leon Owning 2 June 22nd 04 07:58 PM
Cheap paint job Paul Folbrecht Owning 26 April 7th 04 08:35 PM
Radar Absorbing Paint robert arndt Military Aviation 2 December 2nd 03 06:09 PM
Choice of Paint for use over Copper foil Antennas Charlie Precourt Home Built 1 December 2nd 03 03:51 AM