Simulator for DHC Twin Otter

Old May 18th 04, 06:20 PM
Randy Farnsworth

Default Simulator for DHC Twin Otter

I'm new to flight simulation and am wondering if there is any
simulation software for DHC Twin Otters. Software for the Mac would be
my preference, but since I can run Windows on my Mac, Windows software
would be Ok as well. Thanks.

Randy Farnsworth
Author of "A Stand Yet Taken"
http://randyfarnsworth.com/
Old May 18th 04, 09:53 PM
John Hall

Hi Randy;

I think I answered a similar post of yours on another newsgroup. My guess
is that you will not be able to run FS2004 in Windows on a Mac. This flight
sim demands top flight hardware to run really well on a PC and it's
difficult to see it running successfully in emulation mode on a mac. There
is a huge community on the net devoted to MS FS and I'm sure that you will
be able to find all sorts of free DHC Twin Otters and some you can pay for
as well.

JK

m...

Old May 18th 04, 11:23 PM
gerrcoin

Randy Farnsworth wrote:
I'm new to flight simulation and am wondering if there is any
simulation software for DHC Twin Otters. Software for the Mac would be
my preference, but since I can run Windows on my Mac, Windows software
would be Ok as well. Thanks.

Randy Farnsworth
Author of "A Stand Yet Taken"
http://randyfarnsworth.com/

Hi Randy
The X-plane flight sim can run on the Mac and Linux as well as
Windows. It's one of the few rivals to FS (Fly III ?) but is not as
visually appealing quite yet, the flight physics are argueably better.
But work is ongoing and updates can be downloaded regularly. You
should also be able to find a Twin Otter model somewhere on the net.
Aircraft downloads and addons are usually free in the X-plane community.

Go to:
http://www.x-plane.com/

Gerr

Old May 19th 04, 04:06 PM
Randy Farnsworth

Thanks. I got excited and posted to several groups yesterday. (Or
maybe I was just really bored.) I appreciate your response.

Randy Farnsworth
Author of "A Stand Yet Taken"
http://randyfarnsworth.com/

Old May 19th 04, 04:13 PM
Randy Farnsworth

Thanks. Like I said, I'm new to this, and I hadn't heard of X-plane.
That looks like a great product, and since another poster said I may
not be able to run FS on my Mac, this looks promising.

Randy Farnsworth
Author of "A Stand Yet Taken"
http://randyfarnsworth.com/

Old May 20th 04, 01:02 AM
gerrcoin

gerrcoin wrote in message ...

Hi Randy
The X-plane flight sim can run on the Mac and Linux as well as
Windows. It's one of the few rivals to FS (Fly III ?) but is not as
visually appealing quite yet, the flight physics are argueably better.
But work is ongoing and updates can be downloaded regularly. You
should also be able to find a Twin Otter model somewhere on the net.
Aircraft downloads and addons are usually free in the X-plane community.

Go to:
http://www.x-plane.com/

Gerr

No Problem. X-plane is a damn good simulator in it's own right,
comparisons to FS aside. I believe that it is also free - in the free
speech rather than free lunch sense of the word. It's a lot like the
linux Vs. Window debates. It's a hell of a lot more versitile but
somewhat lacking in user friendliness and aestethics. But it doesn't
have the mega buck backing of MS and is still a work in progress.

You still pay a fair ammount for a CD release. Updates for major
releases are free to download anyway so if you have, say, version
7.something then you can DL updates until version 8.0 comes along. The
only problem is that updates come along fairly frequently and there
can be some major changes between releases in terms of how it handles
addons,scenery planes etc. This can make life hard for the developing
community.