Dittel Speaker Box

Old May 17th 18, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Default Dittel Speaker Box

Would anyone have a single line diagram for a Dittel Speaker Box for two microphones? Mine is acting up and I found one additional cable soldered in - can't figure out what it is for and would like to find out what it connects to.
Thanks,

Uli
'AS'
Old May 17th 18, 12:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

There is a diagrams on page 23 and 24 of the GSG70/71 manual available at the following location that may help.

https://www.cumulus-soaring.com/ditt...20Manual.p df
Old May 17th 18, 01:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

One other comment. The Becker and Dittel boxes seem externally identical but are not interchangeable. The only reason I know this is because I tried once to plug a Dittel hand microphone into a Becker box.

While the 5-pin DIN plugs on the side are wired the same (pin numbering is the same for mic, headphone, PTT) the pin spacing is different. The Becker's pins have a 45 degree spacing while the Dittel's pins have a 60 degree spacing. I believe the Becker's are DIN 41524 while the Dittel's are DIN 45322. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_connector.

Oh, the minutia that I get myself into sometimes. Must be OCD*!

Thanks, John.

* Actually, it should be CDO. Then it is alphabetical and all is right with the world.
Old May 17th 18, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Thursday, May 17, 2018 at 8:06:15 AM UTC-4, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
One other comment. The Becker and Dittel boxes seem externally identical but are not interchangeable. The only reason I know this is because I tried once to plug a Dittel hand microphone into a Becker box.

While the 5-pin DIN plugs on the side are wired the same (pin numbering is the same for mic, headphone, PTT) the pin spacing is different. The Becker's pins have a 45 degree spacing while the Dittel's pins have a 60 degree spacing. I believe the Becker's are DIN 41524 while the Dittel's are DIN 45322. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_connector.

Oh, the minutia that I get myself into sometimes. Must be OCD*!

Thanks, John.

* Actually, it should be CDO. Then it is alphabetical and all is right with the world.

John,

thanks for pointing me to that diagram. I am pretty sure it is a Dittel box.. The mic-plugs are the correct ones. What's happening is that the radio sometimes fails to transmit - only carrier noise is being received by other radios. Changing radios (FSG71M) did not help, so I assume the radio is ok. Went down the wiring harness and it looks ok - nothing kinked or pinched. When I take the box off it's mounting surface, it works again - for a while.
What I am trying to figure out is what the additional cable is for, which got soldered in by a previous owner. It has to be an add-on since whoever did it melted the housing with the soldering iron.
These intermittent bugs drive me nuts!

Uli
'AS'

P.S.: The CDO made my day!! :-)
Old May 18th 18, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Uli,

You mention, "It working after taking the box off the mount points to the connectors." and that you have carrier without any audio. I would suspect either the microphone, the mic wiring (in/out of the speaker box), or the mic connectors (male and female) at the Dittel box. Especially the connectors.

If this is actually a Becker box then you can look at the Becker 4201 manual on page 2-8. See https://www.cumulus-soaring.com/beck...201-Manual.pdf

Finally, I created a troubleshooting guide that MIGHT (maybe kinda) help you. I just added a section on the Dittel/Becker boxes. See http://aviation.derosaweb.net/presen...leshooting.pdf

Best of Luck, John
Old May 19th 18, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Friday, May 18, 2018 at 1:26:08 PM UTC-4, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
Uli,

You mention, "It working after taking the box off the mount points to the connectors." and that you have carrier without any audio. I would suspect either the microphone, the mic wiring (in/out of the speaker box), or the mic connectors (male and female) at the Dittel box. Especially the connectors.

If this is actually a Becker box then you can look at the Becker 4201 manual on page 2-8. See https://www.cumulus-soaring.com/beck...201-Manual.pdf

Finally, I created a troubleshooting guide that MIGHT (maybe kinda) help you. I just added a section on the Dittel/Becker boxes. See http://aviation..derosaweb.net/prese...leshooting.pdf

Best of Luck, John

Thanks for making this info available, John! I will use the trouble shooting guide and let you know what I find - bet it is something crazy simple.

Uli
'AS'