A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Soaring Videos Wanted!

Old January 19th 19, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

Default Soaring Videos Wanted!

This is what a motivational soaring is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07YTir9l8Vo

Very good suggestion. In short, SSA should contact one of these Germans
and ask to use a video or two.

--
gotovkotzepkoi

All good points in this thread and despite the somewhat edgy comments, I think we all have the same outcome in mind.
Regardless of which way this goes, for heaven's sake, don't show two old geezers with cannulas in their noses like the ones who were shown on the trailer decals a few years back! The general populous and particular the younger crowd we are trying to attract doesn't know (yet) what these are for and may think the ad is for a fun-filled, active retirement community!

Uli
'AS'
Old January 19th 19, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult
external usenet poster

On Saturday, January 19, 2019 at 10:36:30 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Saturday, January 19, 2019 at 2:25:17 AM UTC-6, Gary Wayland wrote:
On Saturday, January 19, 2019 at 2:35:04 AM UTC-5, Wyll Surf Air wrote:
Who said I'm trying to get more boys interested?
I think trying to attract more young people of all genders should be our focus as a community.

We have been trying to get girls in this sport since they let the Germans have gliders after WWI. You can barely keep the sport going now with all the grey hairs here.

Now, RAP is going to do it?
Good luck with that. It's a start.

You think we would try to sell this sport as green since these kids believe global warming is a problem as the whole world burns up in flames, tomorrow. You can't ask for a more eco-friendly sport when they can yank you up on a cable for pennies and stay up using the sun for hours at a time. I still think the big boobs are the best! It's a perspective thing!

Do we have any Xenophobes on RAS? I hope not. Gary, you claim to have German heritage but I guess you never go to Europe. Here's another video with - gasp - young girls in it and they seem to enjoy themselves. I really feel pity for all you poor souls only finding fault in these honest and amazing efforts to promote soaring. Next thing I'm gonna hear: well, the French are really bad at dancing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpdpwpyQjd4&t=16s

I didn't know so many 13's existed in the world still!

I wonder how many wings were stepped on in the making of this video #getoffmylawn
Old January 20th 19, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Wayland
external usenet poster

On Saturday, January 19, 2019 at 1:36:30 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Saturday, January 19, 2019 at 2:25:17 AM UTC-6, Gary Wayland wrote:
On Saturday, January 19, 2019 at 2:35:04 AM UTC-5, Wyll Surf Air wrote:
Who said I'm trying to get more boys interested?
I think trying to attract more young people of all genders should be our focus as a community.

We have been trying to get girls in this sport since they let the Germans have gliders after WWI. You can barely keep the sport going now with all the grey hairs here.

Now, RAP is going to do it?
Good luck with that. It's a start.

You think we would try to sell this sport as green since these kids believe global warming is a problem as the whole world burns up in flames, tomorrow. You can't ask for a more eco-friendly sport when they can yank you up on a cable for pennies and stay up using the sun for hours at a time. I still think the big boobs are the best! It's a perspective thing!

Do we have any Xenophobes on RAS? I hope not. Gary, you claim to have German heritage but I guess you never go to Europe. Here's another video with - gasp - young girls in it and they seem to enjoy themselves. I really feel pity for all you poor souls only finding fault in these honest and amazing efforts to promote soaring. Next thing I'm gonna hear: well, the French are really bad at dancing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpdpwpyQjd4&t=16s

Herb is going to be a RAP artist in his next life... That I'm looking forward to... You do know that white guys can't jump, either? LOL.
Old January 20th 19, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Wayland
external usenet poster

On Saturday, January 19, 2019 at 4:46:02 PM UTC-5, AS wrote:
On Friday, January 18, 2019 at 9:04:56 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Herb-

Germans cannot rap. I wish Americans couldn't either, but at least we do it better than the Krauts. Not saying a lot, as I think all rap is pestilent.

You aren't too good at humor, either. Is there such a thing as a German Stand-Up comic?

I mean, one who hasn't starved to death looking for a second gig.

You aren't too good at humor, either. Is there such a thing as a German Stand-Up comic?

Otto Waalkes, Mike Krueger, HaPe Kerkeling, plus a whole bunch of more contemporary ones ... Of course, their humor is tailored to the German audience.

About the German soaring rap video: You viewed it and are talking about it - mission accomplished! :-)

Uli
'AS'

You guys put Wernher von Braun to RAP and I'm sure to watch, and buy a hundred copies!
Old January 20th 19, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]
external usenet poster

On Sat, 19 Jan 2019 14:44:11 -0800, Bruce Hoult wrote:

I didn't know so many 13's existed in the world still!

There are still plenty in UK clubs: small clubs like them for cost while
some other, bigger clubs use them for spin training in preference to an
ASK-21 with added tail weight and/or don't like the Puchacz.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old January 20th 19, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Wayland
external usenet poster

There's one thing I never see enough in these marketing Videos; birds. I have gotten into thermals with bald eagles, turkey buzzards, etc. It's almost a religious experience to watch a bald eagle get out 180 degrees of your circle and watch you as we climb together... Nature is why this sport is so appealing. Watching glass dump water at high speed is fantastic, but there are more things that maybe we as pilots are not thinking that kids are looking for in another hobby. I'm sure they have no idea we thermal with birds, or are being powered by the sun. Yes, RAP is one. Green should be a big part of it, and nature should also be part of it, IMHO.

This generation thinks more about the Environment than we did growing up. We need to capitalize on that which this sport is well suited.
Old January 23rd 19, 06:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Haven
external usenet poster

On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 1:06:14 PM UTC-8, wrote:
GoPro and Other HD & 4K Soaring Videos Wanted!

The SSA is looking to its members to submit any 1080-HD or 4K soaring video you think the SSA might like to use in producing future promotional videos.

The SSA is currently seeking raw footage of any closeup air-to-air shots, or video of 2 or more gliders engaged in ridge running or flying under cloud streets, mountain flying, racing, or flying in formation.

We also need footage shot from around the gliderport, such as instructors working with youth/Juniors or student pilots, people working together on a glider in the hangar, footage from social gatherings, etc. What we REALLY NEED is footage of people having fun and enjoying themselves at the home club.

We need video of youth, teenageers, college age, and/or young adults up to age 40 engaged in soaring activities.... either in the air or contributing around the club. Footage that can be used to give people a sense of the fun social atmosphere many clubs enjoy, mentoring, flight instruction, and the comradery enjoyed by pilots of all ages, especially when Junior and younger adult pilots are engaged with more Senior pilots - this is wanted too.

Lastly, if you think you have something that's really exciting that nobody's ever seen before we're interested in having that too.

To make arrangements to submit your video(s) for possible inclusion in the SSA's latest marketing efforts, please contact the SSA by email at: (someone from the SSA's Digital Media Working Group will get back to you in 3-5 business days). Thank you!

- Chris Schrader
SSA Director, Region 6

Have you seen this:
http://watch.opb.org/video/2365670108/
Old January 31st 19, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Excellent suggestions everyone!

We were aware of most but not all the videos you guys suggested but your assistance has been helpful nonetheless. When the time comes, we'll reach out to the owner/creators for permission.

Please remember your own club can benefit too from creating and posting its own videos to social media and your club's website.

Thank you,

Chris Schrader
SSA Director, Region 6
Old February 1st 19, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

On Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 5:37:28 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I really enjoyed the Alvord video... Bob Moore would be proud!

Best,

Gary Osoba

With recruitment in mind, maybe somebody will hold a "Junior's Camp" at Alvord and make a video.

The posted Alvord video is a great on the "Young at Heart" theme.
Old February 1st 19, 06:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

On Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 5:26:20 PM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 5:37:28 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I really enjoyed the Alvord video... Bob Moore would be proud!

Best,

Gary Osoba

With recruitment in mind, maybe somebody will hold a "Junior's Camp" at Alvord and make a video.

The posted Alvord video is a great on the "Young at Heart" theme.

The would be up to the local operations, Hood River Soaring, Willamette Valley Soaring Club, and the new guys, Independence Gliding Club to come together and get it done. All have young people engage.

Frank Whiteley