1835 VW

Old October 1st 06, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
chuck

Default 1835 VW

Does anyone have any experience using a type 1
VW in a pusher configuration? I'm specificately
interested in the thrust bearing location. Thanx.

Old October 2nd 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
quietguy

You don't say whether you're going to hang the prop off the nose of the
crankshaft or off the stronger flywheel end of the engine, but either
way the thrust bearing must take thrust loads directed toward the nose
of the airplane. If it's not obvious from the construction of the
bearing which orientation is needed, ask the supplier; some special
prop-hub bearings and housings may not be reversible, in which case
you're up the creek unless you buy a different bearing or even a whole
different hub system. In any case the crankshaft end-play shims need
to be on the proper side: between the flywheel and the #1 main bearing
if the thrust is from the flywheel end toward the pulley end (just as
when rebuilding the VW engine for a car) or on the other side if the
thrust is in the other direction.

You really should talk to a professional engine builder in any case;
one should be perfectly willing to exchange an email or two or take a
short phone call from you at no charge.

Old October 2nd 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
karel

"chuck" wrote in message
Does anyone have any experience using a type 1
VW in a pusher configuration? I'm specificately
interested in the thrust bearing location. Thanx.

FWIW: this is the standard config of
the Junqua IBIS canard plane.

see www.junqua-aircraft.com

hoping to be of help
(or is this the plane you are building?)
KA

Old October 2nd 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
chuck

No. A friend of mine is going to mount this engine on a Challenger II.
I told him that I didn't think it would work, but he is adamant that it
will.

Old October 2nd 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
flybynightkarmarepair

chuck wrote:
Does anyone have any experience using a type 1
VW in a pusher configuration? I'm specificately
interested in the thrust bearing location. Thanx.

The VW conversion plans sold by Falconar Avia specifically address this
application in some detail.

http://www.falconaravia.com/ scroll down for the Little Demon plans.

The proposed installation on a Challenger MAY work, but it will
CERTAINLY be heavier than the Rotax 582 that airplane was designed
around.

Old October 7th 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jerry Deckard

Way too heavy for a challenger. His CG will be will to the rear. I just sold
a Challenger II. A VW is not in the limits.
Jerry

Old October 7th 06, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dave[_2_]

"Jerry Deckard" mustangsally wrote in message
Way too heavy for a challenger. His CG will be will to the rear. I just
sold a Challenger II. A VW is not in the limits.
Jerry

I'm sure you're right, but--- I saw a flying Challenger II this summer with
a large three cylinder water cooled two stroke engine mounted high above the
metal covered wing. The radiator was in the nose. If I had not seen it
arrive, I don't think I'd have believed it would fly.