Missing flight plans

Old August 4th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Wizard of Draws[_1_]

Default Missing flight plans

On 8/3/06 3:57 AM, in article ,
"Michelle" wrote:

"Wizard of Draws" wrote in
message news:C0F6CE43.89355%jeffbREMOVETHIS@REMOVEALSOwiza rdofdraws.com...

Some time ago on a cross-country that took me near, not into,
Chattanooga's
airspace, I notified them where I was as a courtesy. They gave me a code
squawk. After I was well clear of their airspace, they told me to resume
own
navigation. Fat, dumb and happy, I squawked 1200 and went on to land at my
home base. After I hanging out a bit, the airport manager came up to me
and
chewed me out for not closing my flight plan. I guess Chattanooga opened
one
for me.

You were on a cross-country without a flight plan?

Michelle S.

Yes I was, although I'll admit I file IFR for every flight nowadays.
Why do you ask?
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.wizardofdraws.com

More Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.cartoonclipart.com

Old August 4th 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
BTIZ

The following is a response from the AFSS Manager in regards to my filing a
problem report online. Thanx to those that gave me the link to file the
report. I filed it on Monday, and it is resolved today, 4 days. File the
trouble report, it does work, in this instance. BT

"I would like to thank you again for your input and apologize for any
inconvenience. Your inquiry caused us to investigate the system and we did,
in fact, find a problem in a piece of equipment that should have been
putting a recording on the line that stated all briefers were busy and
please stay on the line. Instead what we had was silence that would make
pilots think they were disconnected but they really were not."

"We have corrected this error and would not have found it in a timely manner
without the effort you made in bringing it to our attention. Thank you and
if you experience any other problems please do not hesitate to call me."
Manager AFSS

BT

"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Twice in 2 days I've filed VFR flight plans only to have FSS unable to
find them when I called on radio after takeoff. One was filed through
Duats at 9PM for noon next day (and left at noon). The other was filed
with a briefer at Terre Haute at 10PM for 8AM next day (and left on
time).

In both cases I had to re-file over the radio.

Old August 4th 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Kyler Laird

"Jim Burns" writes:

Hey Kyler... this will hit home. We just finished the annual on our Aztec.
There is a fellow based at the airport where we had the work done that has
trashed 3... yes THREE Aztec's in less than 6 months. Runway overrun taking
out the gear and nose, groundlooped the second Aztec in a
crosswind/crossrunway/into the ditch maneuver taking out the gear, then hit
a deer with the third but after it was fixed lit the left engine on fire.

How'd he fire up the engine? Was it carburated?

Talk about being hard on the used parts inventory!

It sounds like he's *supplying* the used parts inventory. I assume
the planes were salvaged.

I'm still grousing about the liquidation of Earle Aircraft. For years
I've depended on them for parts and I recently learned that they had an
auction where complete fuselages (with glass) and wings were going for
$50 to be scrapped. Ug.

--kyler
Old August 4th 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Michelle

"Wizard of Draws" wrote in
message news:C0F80936.89C12%jeffbREMOVETHIS@REMOVEALSOwiza rdofdraws.com...
On 8/3/06 3:57 AM, in article ,
"Michelle" wrote:

[...]

Let me answer your question with another question: why do you file all the
time (why only IFR) now and not then?

As to your question, it just seems so "unprofessional" and I think
unprofessional conduct by pilots is a big part of the reason GA has such a
higher accident rate than cars, and private pilots have the highest rates
among their pilot brethren.

Michelle

Old August 4th 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Michelle

"BTIZ" wrote in message
[...]

I love a happy ending :)

Michelle

Old August 4th 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.

Michelle wrote:

As to your question, it just seems so "unprofessional" and I think
unprofessional conduct by pilots is a big part of the reason GA has such a
higher accident rate than cars, and private pilots have the highest rates
among their pilot brethren.

Just to clarify, in your opinion, not filing a VFR flight plan is
"unprofessional?"

--
Peter
Old August 4th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns[_1_]

I really don't know how he lit up the left engine. There isn't much damage
to anything ahead of the accessory case, but everything between the firewall
and the rear case is burned to a crisp. Could have been a backfire though
the throttle body into the air cleaner I guess.

I was never able to buy anything from Earle but I've talked with them since
the auction, they still have several things for sale, including the E nose
STC, forms, and light & tail spring kits to complete several noses.
$10,000. Not a bad deal if you have the time, talent, and ability to layup
fiberglass and the need for at least 2 noses. I think Diamond-Aire is
getting about $6000 per nose for them now. They've also got the E tail with
the coffin door available, but that sounds like toooo much work!

Thank God that ole Grover Matthews is still going strong. But prices are
through the roof. Be careful with your nose gear, they're going for over
$6k and mains going for $3k.

Jim

Old August 4th 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Gig 601XL Builder

"Michelle" wrote in message
As to your question, it just seems so "unprofessional" and I think
unprofessional conduct by pilots is a big part of the reason GA has such a
higher accident rate than cars, and private pilots have the highest rates
among their pilot brethren.

How exactly Michelle will filing a VFR flight plan reduce the accident rate
in aircraft? As since you mentioned it, do you file a drive plane when you
drive a car?

Old August 4th 06, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Lakeview Bill

I think Michelle was saying that it was a lack of professionalism that led
to accidents, and not filing a flight plan was one of the marks of
unprofessional flying...

Old August 4th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Mark Hansen

On 08/04/06 10:41, B A R R Y wrote:
On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 11:50:54 -0500, "Gig 601XL Builder"
wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote:

How exactly Michelle will filing a VFR flight plan reduce the accident rate
in aircraft?

Not only will it not prevent a single accident, I don't see the value
of a VFR flight plan for other reasons in many cases.

If you're a religious user of flight following, as I am, you're
already on the horn with ATC, and uniquely identified on the radar
screen. In an emergency, you'd already be talking to a controller
and probably heard by other area aircraft, so emergency folks would
most likely know where to start looking long before a VFR flight plan
expired and FSS started a telephone search. I've been told that
making an initial distress call on the same frequency I'm already
using for FF is not only acceptable, but a good idea.

Actually, ATC is not required to maintain communications with you,
and if you suddenly disappear, they may assume you just went off-
frequency and shut off your transponder (or had a power failure,
etc.). I don't see why they would begin a search and rescue in
this case.

Of course, you may be able to get a message off before you crash
(assuming you don't really have a power/com failure) but this is no
substitute for a VFR flight plan IMHO.

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA