Sailors of the Sky

Old December 13th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Sailors of the Sky

Here is "Sailors of the Sky" from the January 1967 issue of National
Geographic:

http://home.comcast.net/~johan.larso...softhesky.html

(Warning: the page contains more than a megabyte of images.)

Johan Larson

Old December 13th 06, 01:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Johan,

Awesome! I've been wanting to read that article for years. Well done!

Paul Remde

ups.com...

Old December 13th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shawn

Paul Remde wrote:
Hi Johan,

Awesome! I've been wanting to read that article for years. Well done!

Paul Remde

wrote in message
ups.com...
Here is "Sailors of the Sky" from the January 1967 issue of National
Geographic:

http://home.comcast.net/~johan.larso...softhesky.html

(Warning: the page contains more than a megabyte of images.)

I found a copy of that National Geographic, and the one with the article
about ridge running the Appalachians, in a thrift store. Lots of NGs
have been hoarded out there for years (by parents of baby boomers I
think). Almost any issue is easy to find if you look in the right
places (ARC thrift stores in the Denver area). Oh yeah, good & cheap
clothes too. :-)

Shawn
Old December 13th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Shawn wrote:
I found a copy of that National Geographic, and the one with the article
about ridge running the Appalachians, in a thrift store.

Would you mind checking the year and month of the issue that contains
the ridge running article?

Johan Larson

Old December 14th 06, 03:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roger Worden

I read that article when I was a kid... and then remembered it when I got
into soaring a few years ago, hoping to find it again someday. What a
well-written article! I'm going to bookmark it and point interested people
to it as an introduction. Though it's 40 years old, not so much has changed,
has it?

Thank you!!

ups.com...

Old December 14th 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Roger Worden wrote:
I read that article when I was a kid... and then remembered it when I got
into soaring a few years ago, hoping to find it again someday. What a
well-written article!

I'm convinced it is the best introduction to soaring I have read. Even
with some experience behind me, it had something to teach me: I had not
known that the variometer was what made cross-country soaring possible.

I'm going to bookmark it and point interested people
to it as an introduction.

By all means do. You might also consider using your browser's Save
function to make a private copy. I plan to leave the page up
indefinitely, but things happen.

Though it's 40 years old, not so much has changed,
has it?

I am of two minds about that, actually. On the one hand, a certain
nostalgia is nice. But on the other, it feels like we have spent a
generation of time, and haven't accomplished very much. We are still
flying basic gliders not very much like the 2-22s and 2-32s that they
flew forty years ago. What change there has been has come at the high
end, almost exclusively.

Johan Larson

http://home.comcast.net/~johan.larso...softhesky.html

Old December 14th 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold

A great article. Great photos. It was what got me interested in
soaring when I was a kid. I wonder how many other present-day pilots
got their introduction to soaring through this article.

Looking forward to also seeing the Striedieck article on Johan's website.

Roger Worden wrote:
I read that article when I was a kid... and then remembered it when I got
into soaring a few years ago, hoping to find it again someday. What a
well-written article! I'm going to bookmark it and point interested people
to it as an introduction. Though it's 40 years old, not so much has changed,
has it?

Thank you!!

ups.com...