aerobatic kit planes

Old December 19th 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default aerobatic kit planes

Well what should be done is to make lots of practice welds and break them
and/or cut them apart to see how your penetration looks - before long you
either get it or you don't. Gas welding is a bit of an art...

The only welding I've done is gas and by the lords, when I got it
right it was RIGHT.

I think you can tell on gas pretty good because everything around the
bead is molten. Only thing is the cool down, which Finch says can
really screw up a weld.

I was using 4130 tube, can't remember the thickness; made a "luggage"
rack for my Royal Enfield for a trip across the great plains (if you
can figure that on single cylinder bike). I could not break those
welds. The luggage was too ammo cans.

Gas is good. I enjoyed it too, except I made one error: I bought cheap
a$$ regulators and the oxygen flow tended to pop.

Should've spend another 75 to 100, then had something reasonable. If I
build a Acro, and want to use gas, I'll get good equipment. I saw
recently William Wynn talking up a great little Mig welder. That might
be good.

Gas, TIG, or MIG?
Old December 19th 07, 05:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

wrote in
:

[...]

Ever tired one of these?
http://tinmantech.chainreactionweb.c...orch.php?cart=
6d2909f2ce99e469d433f5e400a72389

It's sooo much better than the best torch I tried before it.

This guy's site is well worth a browse around..

Bertie
Old December 19th 07, 06:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

wrote in message

Gas, TIG, or MIG?

Watch'a try'n to do here, start a religous war or sumpin????

:-)

Last airplane I rode in was welded with gas.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old December 19th 07, 07:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote

At the risk of sounding like anthony, though, I don't figure anyone s
going to go out and get a stick welder and some conduit and mkae an
airplane out of it on my sayso.

Doubtful, I would say, also. Perhaps we could get anthony to make a
conduit airplane. If it had fatal result, oh well. Some sacrifices must be
made for the

If anyone can weld thinwall conduit with a stick welder, and not burn it
through, I would like to see it.

Stick welders are fine on 1/4" farm equipment, but are mostly useless on
most other thing. Your mileage will vary.

My favorite welder is a good mig unit with gas shielding. I'm convinced a
monkey could make a good weld, once someone shows you how to set the heat
and feed rate. It does take a little practice to get that sorted, though.

I've always heard that the problems with mig is cold weld starts not
penetrating, and the need for normalizing the weld and the area right around
the weld.

The cold start can be cured by going all the way around in one whack, or at
the most two, and go back over the first 1/8th inch to get the penetration
for that first bit right, and the normalizing can be done with a little heat
from a torch, after the welding is done. That is my take on it, anyway. I
know there are a lot of opinions, and much can be debated on the subject,
but all in all, that seems like the basic jist of it, I think.

Still, even with all the above said, I like gas welding, and would probably
use it if I was going to build a tube and fabric plane, because it is such a
proven technique for building airplanes. I have played with it enough to
get fairly good and consistent results, but then I don't do it for a while,
and lose most of it again.

I agree about the idea of gas welding being an art, mostly. Yes, there are
certain facts that have to be followed for the art to have a chance of
working, like the setting of the flame, for one. From there, it becomes
art.

The thing someone said once that make sense for all welding (but especially
gas) is the need to "control the molten puddle". I would say all of my
welding improved 50%, once I heard that, and understood it.

I want to build with wood, being a carpenter and cabinet maker. I have the
tools and the shop for it, and enjoy it too much, to consider anything else.
I realize there still be some metal to melt together, for about any
airplane, though.

So, with flying on the job, and whacking loons, how much time do you get for
building? g Do you already have a shop set up?
--
Jim in NC

Old December 19th 07, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"Morgans" wrote in
:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote

At the risk of sounding like anthony, though, I don't figure anyone s
going to go out and get a stick welder and some conduit and mkae an
airplane out of it on my sayso.

Doubtful, I would say, also. Perhaps we could get anthony to make a
conduit airplane. If it had fatal result, oh well. Some sacrifices
must be made for the

If anyone can weld thinwall conduit with a stick welder, and not burn
it through, I would like to see it.

It wouldn't be me! that's for sure!

Stick welders are fine on 1/4" farm equipment, but are mostly useless
on most other thing. Your mileage will vary.

My favorite welder is a good mig unit with gas shielding. I'm
convinced a monkey could make a good weld, once someone shows you how
to set the heat and feed rate. It does take a little practice to get
that sorted, though.

I've always heard that the problems with mig is cold weld starts not
penetrating, and the need for normalizing the weld and the area right
around the weld.

I've heard lots of things about Mig that aen't good, but other guys say
they're untrue. It's academic to me since I do gas.

The cold start can be cured by going all the way around in one whack,
or at the most two, and go back over the first 1/8th inch to get the
penetration for that first bit right, and the normalizing can be done
with a little heat from a torch, after the welding is done. That is
my take on it, anyway. I know there are a lot of opinions, and much
can be debated on the subject, but all in all, that seems like the
basic jist of it, I think.

Still, even with all the above said, I like gas welding, and would
probably use it if I was going to build a tube and fabric plane,
because it is such a proven technique for building airplanes. I have
played with it enough to get fairly good and consistent results, but
then I don't do it for a while, and lose most of it again.

Yeah ditto.

I agree about the idea of gas welding being an art, mostly. Yes,
there are certain facts that have to be followed for the art to have a
chance of working, like the setting of the flame, for one. From
there, it becomes art.

The thing someone said once that make sense for all welding (but
especially gas) is the need to "control the molten puddle". I would
say all of my welding improved 50%, once I heard that, and understood
it.

Yeah. I'm nopt too bad. Stil the occasional error, and I get rust if I
don't do it quite often, which is frustrating, but I would definitely
fly anything I welded,

I want to build with wood, being a carpenter and cabinet maker. I
have the tools and the shop for it, and enjoy it too much, to consider
anything else. I realize there still be some metal to melt together,
for about any airplane, though.

So what are you thinking? Piet? Emeraude? Falco?

So, with flying on the job, and whacking loons, how much time do you
get for building? g Do you already have a shop set up?

Yeah, but haven't done too much lately. The airplane is pretty well on
now, but the arrival of the other aiplane has help up interest!

Old December 20th 07, 01:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Yeah, but haven't done too much lately. The airplane is pretty well on
now, but the arrival of the other aiplane has help up interest!

Maybe I missed this: what are you building? What have you got?
Old December 20th 07, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Ever tired one of these?http://tinmantech.chainreactionweb.c...orch.php?cart=
6d2909f2ce99e469d433f5e400a72389

Good link. All kinds of good gas stuff. And they've got a video on
there by some EAA technical counselors about welding together a
complete tube airframe.

Thanks!
Old December 20th 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip

On Dec 20, 3:03 am, wrote:
Ever tired one of these?http://tinmantech.chainreactionweb.c...orch.php?cart=
6d2909f2ce99e469d433f5e400a72389

Good link. All kinds of good gas stuff. And they've got a video on
there by some EAA technical counselors about welding together a
complete tube airframe.

Yes, I have that video. Itīs very expensive, but it is good.
That torch is a marvel, though. Itīs a large-ish jewlers torch and it
improved my welding about 500% overnight.

Bertie

Old December 20th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Gas, TIG, or MIG?

Ever tired one of these?
http://tinmantech.chainreactionweb.c...orch.php?cart=
6d2909f2ce99e469d433f5e400a72389

It's sooo much better than the best torch I tried before it.

This guy's site is well worth a browse around..

That's some coincidence. I was just at this
guy's site 10 minutes ago. I need a new set
of hoses for my Victor J-27 miniature torch
and his site was one of 2 or three that got a
google hit.

Now I'm sorely tempted to just buy the Meco
package.

My first aerobatic lesson Marco Rispoli Piloting 6 April 13th 05 02:21 PM
US Aerobatic Team MuscleBiplane Aerobatics 0 March 19th 05 10:28 PM
Aerobatic club Klein Aerobatics 1 February 9th 05 05:53 PM
Air-to-air aerobatic photos Daniel Karlsson Piloting 0 October 29th 04 11:51 AM
Air-to-air aerobatic photos Daniel Karlsson Aerobatics 0 October 29th 04 11:50 AM