True He-176 Prototype Photo

Old April 27th 04, 07:38 PM
robert arndt

Default True He-176 Prototype Photo

http://www.luft46.com/prototyp/he176-1.jpg

First flown in June 1939.

Rob
Old April 27th 04, 09:53 PM
John Mullen

"robert arndt" wrote in message
om...
http://www.luft46.com/prototyp/he176-1.jpg

First flown in June 1939.

Rob

Great pic Rob

You know anything about WW2 German helicopters with tip-driven rotors?

John

Old April 27th 04, 09:58 PM
Dave Kearton

"robert arndt" wrote in message
om...
| http://www.luft46.com/prototyp/he176-1.jpg
|
| First flown in June 1939.
|
| Rob

That looks like an unpowered version - can't see any evidence of an engine.

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old April 27th 04, 11:16 PM
Jim Doyle

"Dave Kearton" wrote in
message ...
"robert arndt" wrote in message
om...
| http://www.luft46.com/prototyp/he176-1.jpg
|
| First flown in June 1939.
|
| Rob

That looks like an unpowered version - can't see any evidence of an

engine.

Being rocket powered, I think it just need a nozzle at the rear - which
wouldn't be apparent in a shot from this angle.
Here's a picture of a He112 fitted with the same engine:
http://www.luft46.com/prototyp/he176-5.jpg

Cheers,
Jim Doyle

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old April 28th 04, 12:18 AM
B2431

From: "Jim Doyle"

http://www.luft46.com/prototyp/he176-1.jpg

| First flown in June 1939.
|
| Rob

That looks like an unpowered version - can't see any evidence of an

engine.

Being rocket powered, I think it just need a nozzle at the rear - which
wouldn't be apparent in a shot from this angle.
Here's a picture of a He112 fitted with the same engine:
http://www.luft46.com/prototyp/he176-5.jpg

Cheers,
Jim Doyle

I think teuton is trying to impress us with another one of his country's
"firsts" which, as was typical, never went into production.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old April 28th 04, 11:25 AM
JasiekS

Użytkownik "B2431" napisał w wiadomo¶ci

I think teuton is trying to impress us with another one of his

country's
"firsts" which, as was typical, never went into production.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

This time he is right. He-176 was world's first aircraft with rocket
engine only[*]. He-176 made its maiden flight on 20 June 1939. The
aircraft was grounded on the next day by RLM order (two times recalled
and issued again). On 27 August 1939 was maiden flight of other 'world's
first' - the world's first jet He-178. Both aircraft were experimental
(you can call them proof-of-concept according to today's jargon) so
weren't intended for production.
[*] First flight with the same rocket engine was made in March/April
1937. Modified He-112 (you can call it testbed for rocket engine) was
used in this experiment. Take-off was made with piston engine and rocket
engine was started in flight. Earlier experiments with rocket fitted
sailplanes were made in Germany in 1928/29.

JasiekS
Warsaw, Poland

Old April 28th 04, 11:33 AM
robert arndt

"John Mullen" wrote in message . ..
"robert arndt" wrote in message
om...
http://www.luft46.com/prototyp/he176-1.jpg

First flown in June 1939.

Rob

Great pic Rob

You know anything about WW2 German helicopters with tip-driven rotors?

John

WNF 342: http://www.germanvtol.com/wnffolder/wnfbase.html

Enjoy,
Rob
Old April 28th 04, 11:40 AM
robert arndt

From: "Jim Doyle"

http://www.luft46.com/prototyp/he176-1.jpg

| First flown in June 1939.
|
| Rob

That looks like an unpowered version - can't see any evidence of an

engine.

Being rocket powered, I think it just need a nozzle at the rear - which
wouldn't be apparent in a shot from this angle.
Here's a picture of a He112 fitted with the same engine:
http://www.luft46.com/prototyp/he176-5.jpg

Cheers,
Jim Doyle

I think teuton is trying to impress us with another one of his country's
"firsts" which, as was typical, never went into production.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

And exactly "why" would the RLM decide to develop an experimental
liquid fuelled rocket aircraft into a combat plane in 1939 when they
had the proven Me Bf 109?
BTW, I wasn't trying to impress anyone. This newer pic is on-topic for
this NG and maybe someone might appreciate it. The fact that you hate
all German aviation technology is the only reason you respond to my
posts at all. Why don't you just stick to the stuff you DO like and
leave others to form their own opinions about what I post.
I ran across that photo today while looking for something else and
thought it was worth posting. You don't like it... too bad Dan.

Rob
Old April 28th 04, 12:46 PM
John Mullen

"robert arndt" wrote in message
om...
"John Mullen" wrote in message

. ..
"robert arndt" wrote in message
om...
http://www.luft46.com/prototyp/he176-1.jpg

First flown in June 1939.

Rob

Great pic Rob

You know anything about WW2 German helicopters with tip-driven rotors?

John

WNF 342: http://www.germanvtol.com/wnffolder/wnfbase.html

Enjoy,
Rob

Thanks! Great site.

John

Old April 28th 04, 03:43 PM
Nemo l'Ancien

Just one question...Did X-1 or X-15 ever entered production...?
LOL