Closed airport south of Boston

Old October 25th 03, 09:13 PM
David Rind

Default Closed airport south of Boston

I flew into Logan (on a commercial airline) today and noticed
as I have in the past flying myself that there is a fairly
large airport with X'd out runways south of Logan. From a distance,
I've occasionally mistake it for Norwood, and on the terminal chart
it looks like it's near South Weymouth. What was this airport?

--
David Rind

Old October 25th 03, 09:31 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"David Rind" wrote in message

I flew into Logan (on a commercial airline) today and noticed
as I have in the past flying myself that there is a fairly
large airport with X'd out runways south of Logan. From a distance,
I've occasionally mistake it for Norwood, and on the terminal chart
it looks like it's near South Weymouth. What was this airport?

NAS South Weymouth, closed about six years ago.

Old October 26th 03, 04:21 AM
John

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"David Rind" wrote in message

I flew into Logan (on a commercial airline) today and noticed
as I have in the past flying myself that there is a fairly
large airport with X'd out runways south of Logan. From a distance,
I've occasionally mistake it for Norwood, and on the terminal chart
it looks like it's near South Weymouth. What was this airport?

NAS South Weymouth, closed about six years ago.

Right. This airfield was supposed to be converted (at least partially)
into a huge shopping mall. Due to traffic concerns and local complaints,
the plan has been shot down. The developers are trying to figure out
what do with the land, either reworking the original plans or creating
new ones. The site has fairly good freeway access, as well as rail.
There are no proposals to use it as an airport. In the meantime, the
runways are all still there.
Another large abandoned military airfield in the area is Moore AAF,
which was at Ft Devons. This field is situated near freeways and busy
rail lines. The state police use the runways for practicing high speed
maneuvers. Both runways still exist.

Old October 26th 03, 02:12 PM
David Rind

John wrote:
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"David Rind" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks to both of you for answering. S. Weymouth NAS must have been
closed soon before I started flying. Moore I'm familiar with, since
I've used it as a place to practice over -- nice runways in case
of an engine out or other problem....

-- David

--
David Rind

Old October 27th 03, 01:48 PM
Ron Natalie

"John" wrote in message ...

Right. This airfield was supposed to be converted (at least partially)
into a huge shopping mall. Due to traffic concerns and local complaints,
the plan has been shot down. The developers are trying to figure out
what do with the land, either reworking the original plans or creating
new ones. The site has fairly good freeway access, as well as rail.
There are no proposals to use it as an airport. In the meantime, the
runways are all still there.

Of course, an airport will have much less traffic impact than a mall.