Cessna 182T w. G-1000 pirep

Old July 21st 04, 04:04 AM
Javier Henderson

"C J Campbell" writes:

"Javier Henderson" wrote in message

I did post the link to TCM's datasheet on the engine, stating a
TBO of 2000 hours.

The lifetime of the airframe was recently lifted to 12,000 hours.

I hope it has been, but you still have not given me any evidence of that.
Given that you have made a religious issue of it, I am hardly likely to take
you at your word.

Someone already posted a copy of a letter they received from the
FAA. I'm sure that will satisfy your requirement for proof. I don't
recall now where I first heard of the lifetime increase, avweb
newsletter maybe, it's not really important.

And I haven't made a religious issue out of anything. I just pointed a
couple of facts, and you're still foaming at the mouth.

Whatever.

-jav
Old July 21st 04, 04:06 AM
C J Campbell

"Ryan Ferguson" wrote in message
. ..
C J Campbell wrote:

Not true, the SR-22 still is 4350 hours until you can show me a type
certificate that says otherwise. If the airframe life limit has been
extended then Cirrus is sure keeping quiet about it.

Sigh. If it makes you feel better, here ya go.

http://www.fergworld.com/various/4-9...klifelimit.pdf

How come part of this document is blacked out?

There is nothing new, BTW, about fiberglass. It is heavier than aluminum,
more difficult to repair, and subject to solar radiation damage (even the
Cirrus' special 3M fiberglass -- it has to be protected by that white
paint). It does have the advantage of being somewhat tougher than aluminum
(fiberglass does not dent as easily, but it is still subject to abrasions
and cracks.

You can do anything with aluminum that you can with fiberglass or carbon
fiber.

Carbon fiber, though, is both lighter and stronger than either aluminum or
fiberglass. It is also a lot more expensive and even more difficult to
repair. It also can be woven in ways that give infinite combinations of
flexibility and strength. There are very few shops certified to repair
carbon fiber. One of the troubles with carbon fiber is it if it is
over-stressed, it doesn't just gradually crystallize and develop cracks the
way metal does. It fails suddenly and spectacularly. I learned this the hard
way when I was hit head-on by a car while riding my OCLV carbon fiber bike.
Although designed for stresses up to 14,000 pounds, the bike frame exploded
on impact. (I also flew over the car, leaving the soles of my shoes still in
the pedals. I landed on my head on the other side, which some people say
explains a lot about me. Anyway, I am now two inches shorter from having
compressed my neck and spine. The driver, of course, had no insurance, and
got her eighth and ninth outstanding traffic tickets that day. They took
away her license, but no doubt she drives anyway.)

Of course, if money is no object, then carbon fiber is the way to go. No
doubt, this is the reason the Diamond is so expensive for what you get.
Aluminum will always have an economic advantage over carbon fiber.

The Diamond uses fiberglass, too, especially in the wings and skins, no
doubt as a cost saving measure. It uses Kevlar in the seats, so your
passengers can't shoot you in the back (actually, to achieve that 26G
cockpit strength).

I think bicycles are pointing the direction to the future of aircraft. I
think we may eventually see aircraft made of titanium (the stuff is not
rare, just difficult to work with) and beryllium/aluminum alloys. You can
get bicycles made of these materials today, and they are proving their
worth, though I will probably stick with carbon fiber. You will never see a
serious fiberglass bicycle, which is even more dependent than an airplane on
strength and lightness. Fiberglass is for cheap boats, not airplanes or
bicycles.

Old July 21st 04, 04:13 AM
C J Campbell

"Ryan Ferguson" wrote in message
om...
C J Campbell wrote:

First of all, I am not interested in running an anti-Cirrus campaign.

Just
because I favor the T182 over the Cirrus and that I think the Cirrus

SR22
has some serious defects, some of you guys seem to think that I want to

run
some kind of holy crusade against Cirrus.

Okay. I don't give Cirrus a blanket endorsement either, but I think
Cessna's going to have their hands full for the forseeable future in the
single-engine airplane market. The Cessna products are still fine for
what they do, but I think the majority of the market will choose Cirrus
for the average private pilot mission.

I think most people don't have much choice. Cessna has shown little
willingness to innovate or even build adequate numbers of the designs they
have. I am flabbergasted, actually, that Cessna managed to install the
G-1000 in several of their planes.

Now, if Cirrus really has managed to get the 4350 hour limitation lifted
then that removes one of my major objections.

Do you honestly still think there's any doubt?

Not really, but I will keep annoying Javier as long as I can.

I think the safety record is
still terrible, but I suspect that is more a function of training and

the
kind of pilots that buy Cirrus than it is of the airplane.

This is a voluminous subject on which I have many opinions, but in a
nutshell
I believe the statistics show it's the training, not the airplane.

I think that is right, but the SR22 seems to be the kind of airplane that
attracts the wrong kind of pilots. Oh, well. Bonanza is, no doubt, glad to
get some competition for the title of doctor killer.

Old July 21st 04, 04:46 AM
Ryan Ferguson

C J Campbell wrote:

How come part of this document is blacked out?

There was a conspiracy, but it was covered up.

Reasonable points about types of materials used in airplane
construction, although I believe the Cirrus will last just as long or
longer than any other airplane out there.

-Ryan
Aluminum airplane owner
Old July 21st 04, 05:53 AM
Dude

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

"Stefan" wrote in message
C J Campbell wrote:

Even if it was not, you are still faced with a fatal accident rate per
100,000 hours 10 times that of average,

Put the average PPL into a Boeing 737, and I bet the accident rate will
be even higher. So the 737 is an inherently unsafe plane?

Statistics offers the numbers, but they must be interpreted.

The Boeing 737 is not being sold as easy and safe for low time private
pilots to fly. The Cirrus is.

Which is my biggest gripe about the Cirrus after all. They are selling a
plane that takes a Bonanza like training course to people that would NEVER
say they are ready for a Bo.

Old July 21st 04, 07:32 AM
6079 Smith

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 16:09:59 +0200, Thomas Borchert
wrote:

C,

Ah, the lifetime limit. Most any aviation expert I have heard
commenting that says it's no big deal. I tend to agree. But we've been
around that particular block before.

What happens when an airframe goes beyond the lifetime limit? Is the
airworthiness certificate trash then?
Old July 21st 04, 08:28 AM
C J Campbell

wrote:

C,

Ah, the lifetime limit. Most any aviation expert I have heard
commenting that says it's no big deal. I tend to agree. But we've been
around that particular block before.

What happens when an airframe goes beyond the lifetime limit? Is the
airworthiness certificate trash then?

In theory, yes. However, what the FAA has said is that when a significant
number of aircraft approach the lifetime limit then they will inspect the
planes for signs of age and wear and possibly extend the lifetime limit,
with perhaps some limitations and conditions. Of course, you have to take
the FAA's word for this... Anyway, I was told that all new aircraft designs
are having some sort of lifetime limit, usually 12,000 hours, imposed on
them. The Diamonds appear to be an exception; they have no limit directly
mentioned on the TCDS*, so I don't know how accurate that information is.
But that is what I was told. We will see what limitations are placed on the
DA42.

Of course, no one in their right mind trusts the FAA, least of all the FAA's
own personnel. Policies and procedures there change with the wind. It must
be hell to work there.

If nothing is done, the airplane becomes an expensive lawn ornament.

*The TCDS says that the DA40 must comply with the airworthiness limitations
and time limits specified in the maintenance manual. That manual is nearly
2000 pages long, but I could not find any airframe time limit in either
chapters 4 or 5, which cover airworthiness and time limits. There is also no
mention of any airframe time limit in the Flight Manual. Both manuals are
available on Diamond's web site for those who wish to examine them. (I wish
Cessna would do that.) Furthermore, Diamond's representative told me that
the Diamond has no airframe life limit. If I seem suspicious, I have my
reasons.

Old July 21st 04, 08:37 AM
Thomas Borchert

Ryan,

hey can be summed up in three words: TCM, network, and MCU.

Could you explain a little more, please?
--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 21st 04, 03:57 PM
gwengler

"C J Campbell" wrote in message ...
"gwengler" wrote in message
om...
Just a few corrections:
Max. cruise is 165 at 20000 ft. and 88% power.
Range WITH 45 miuntes reserve is 635 nm (88% power) to 970 nm (45% power).

I got my numbers off Cessna's own web site. If they are wrong then Cessna
should hear about it.

I got my numbers from my T182T POH. For example, 175 KIAS is the Vne,
never exceed airspeed, not max. cruise. Range at 12,500 incl. 45 min.
reserve is 617 nm (88%) or 968 nm (45%). Seems some computer guy put
the web-site numbers together without knowing what he was talking
about...

Having said that, I have owned a T182T for 2.5 years now and flown 600
hours. No problems, whatsoever, totally trouble free. The support
from both Cessna and the local dealer (Leggat, Toronto Buttonville) is
outstanding. The quality of the airplane equals that of a German car
- no rattling, vibrations, loud noises, avionics failures, cabin
linings falling down, door closing problems and the like (those are
all frequent issues from the public Cirrus discussion forum). Anyway,
the T182T fulfills my mission profile perfectly, going from coast to
coast with three sometimes four people (four people, four hours fuel
and 20 lbs. luggage per person). The turbocharger is worth every
penny since it lets me go high to avoid ice, CBs visually and go over
the mountains without much worrying. I have now a Garmin/Apollo MX20
with WSI weather data link and Jeppesen approach plates, all options
not available (or not working) on the Cirrus.

What bothers me in this whole discussion is the religious zeal with
which Cirrus proponents go around. That airplane is not revolutionary
different from Cessnas, Mooneys, Pipers etc. It's made from plastic -
so what? May be good, may be bad, who knows. The Avidyne avionics
definitely are now second behind the Garmin 1000 if for nothing else
for the reason that the NAV/COM parts are integrated. You don't have
to frequently look down to your Garmin NAV/COMs to change frequencies
and NAV inputs. The Cirrus is a GREAT airplane that perfectly fulfills
the mission of people who buy it (one hopes). Why do these Cirrus
missionaries try to portray existing designs as being outdated and not
up to par?

Gerd
ATP, T182T
Old July 21st 04, 04:14 PM
Peter Hovorka

Hi Gerd,

What bothers me in this whole discussion is the religious zeal with
which Cirrus proponents go around.

[ .. ]

Why do these Cirrus
missionaries try to portray existing designs as being outdated and not
up to par?

I guess it depends on the individual. On the one hand you'll find the
statements like 'planes are much more oldfashioned than motorcycles and
cars, it's time for something new, everything old has to be seen as crap!'
told by non-owners and tech-freaks. On the other hand you'll find the 'this
is the best plane ever - in every regard thinkable' emphasized by owners.

I haven't flown both, I don't have a mission profile for one of them, I'm
not a cessna nor a cirrus dealer etc. etc...

The only thing that makes me think is the very huge quantity of low time
cirrus airplanes on the market, several mods in the meantime, complaints
about many problems and so on.

Though I'm not lucky with the non-improvement of the avgas guzzlers by
Lycoming and Continental and I would really like to see some improvements
in crashworthiness in the 'old' Cessna airplanes (26g seats, structural
rework) I would never think of a Cessna as a bad airplane.

These pseudo-religious fights Cirrus - Cessna Fans are ridiculous. Every
company does its best in regard to the market, their product image, their
target customers and the legal possibilities.

Think about the Cessna representing 'old school', being as harmless as it
gets and the Cirrus as a state-of-the-art airplane with a sleek design. One
wouldn't compare a Bonanza with a C182, would one?

Kind regards to all of you, I love these groups

(Although I don't really see the sense in cross posting to the whole r.a.
hierarchy... I kept the header)

Peter