Texas Parasol Plans...

Old February 25th 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Texas Parasol Plans...

Richard Lamb wrote:
I've been trying to raise the RAA web site for several days to see if they
post their articles on the web. But it seems to be snowed under and
won't be
back up until the spring thaw.

It works for me .....

And they don't post their articles.

Rob

Old February 25th 06, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 13:32:14 GMT, Richard Lamb
wrote:

All right, back to the beheadings!

Four days, and not a mumblin' word.
Makes a body wonder, don't it?

Seriously, if the intent is to protect the innocent and unwary, why NOT
respond (and show your work?).

I'm not involved, so I have no work to show.
As for the "Canadian project" - it is basically DEAD.

Or? Have I misinterpreted obviously altruistic motives?
(huh!)

I've been trying to raise the RAA web site for several days to see if they
post their articles on the web. But it seems to be snowed under and won't be
back up until the spring thaw.

Fortunately (or otherwise, depending on your point of view?), I just happen
to HAVE a copy of the magazine. It was sent to me by a Canadian fellow (who
I'll not name to avoid allegations of international espionage).

But here it is, and we'll let the reader decide for him/her/it self...

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~tp-1/
page-1.jpg to page-6.jpg

I particularly like the ripe irony of the last paragraph of the article.

The artical was written by a Canadian who was looking for a good,
cheap, safe way to get into the air. He was reporting on the early
stages of the "Canadian project" and none of the problems with the
wings had been uncovered yet, or at least the testing had not yet been
done. There is also no indication that they were building a heavier
version than yours, other than the mention of designing an all
aluminum wing.

The artical was written more about the Canadian ultralight regs than
about the Parasol.

As for the other attatchments, I'm not an engineer, so I can't speak
for their accuracy - but at least it looks like whoever wrote them did
have a very good understanding of the engineering involved. Myself ? -
it was over my head. I have no idea who wrote them, or what his
qualifications are. Neither do I particularly care.

It's YOUR design. It's up to YOU to either make it safe, and provide
accurate information, or to do one of two things:

Remove the plans from circulation, or mark them clearly as being
"proof of concept" plans requiring some extra engineering - and NOT
FOR FIRST TIME BUILDERS.

OK - 'Nuff said - I'm out here.
I've let everyone on this list know the concerns that were raised, and
the status of the plans. That's all I intended.

There are also a few of the stress analysis reports in pdf format.

ul-spar.pdf The original preliminary report (corrected! The original
original showed an 8 G limit(!), but it was a simple error)

ul-redo.pdf Suggested upgrade to 4.4 Gs at 650 lbs

fastner.pdf rivets, bolts, etc

For what it's worth, none of these are my own works.
They were posted to the Fly5k list by the author and are presented here
for enlightenment and entertainment of (any?) interested readers...

Richard

Old February 26th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Such a shame, Clare, because the 4.4G upgrade is
exactly what you've been asking for?

Richard
Old February 26th 06, 06:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 00:14:19 GMT, Richard Lamb
wrote:

Such a shame, Clare, because the 4.4G upgrade is
exactly what you've been asking for?

Richard

I've forwarded the references to Gary, see if he says the issue is
adequately addressed. If it is, I'll pass it on back to the group.
Old February 27th 06, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

wrote:

Such a shame, Clare, because the 4.4G upgrade is
exactly what you've been asking for?

Richard

You want more input - you got it.

OK, we are NOT engineers, but looking at this with a few more
knowledgeable guys than myself the following observations and
recommendations age just the beginning.

The last PDF with the spar calculations is a problem. On the first
page there is a basic math mistake. We did not go into the
calculations to see if the rest was correct or not. 144 pounds per
wing is 288 pounds total, not 244. The author then assumes that the
lift distribution is equal down the length of the wing, and it is
admitted that this assumption was made to simplify the math.
Unfortunately this removes some of the lift load from the inner spar
and makes the calculated G's quite optimistic. In real life the lift
is usually assumed to center about 44% out from the root. A proper
load test will have an elliptical distribution of sandbags for this
very reason. The equal distribution assumption transfers a lot of sand
out beyond the lift strut attach. This has two effects that give
optimistic conclusions. There is less sand (lift force) at the weak
point 40" out from the root. Also the equal distribution tends to
straighten the inner section of spar, like a teeter totter, so that it
would take more weight to get the spar to buckle between the root and
the lift strut attach. The conclusion is therefore optimistic. Also it
is premature to state from this spar analysis that the wing is OK. The
calculation, even if correctly done, address only the strength of the
front spar.

The testing of the wing performed at Gary's hangar addressed this
non-linear loading.

Just a little more input from another more knowledgeable than
myself. The material that the plans and the airplane use is 6061t6
correct? The calculations show the material or the identifier as being
6061. The problem in the shown calcs is that the numbers he is using
at 68000psi tensile is higher than the ultimate strength of 2024-t4
which is given at 64000. 6061t6 is only 45,000psi ultimate and 39,900
yield.

It's no wonder the wing was failing at 2g.

Old February 27th 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Hi Group:

Cla

Looking at the calculations for the spar, spar.pdf I do not see your
interpretation. The 67000 psi value is Bearing Ultimate, not tensile.

A MATWEB lookup is in order:

6061-T6

Tensile ultimate: 45000
Tensile yield : 39000

Bearing ultimate: 88000
Bearing Yield : 56000

The values presented in the spar calculation are correct, and the
bearing ultimate of 67000 is below spec.

So where is the spar calc using bad values except, as you say, in the
initial assumptions of 244 pounds versus 288?

Curtis Scholl

Old February 27th 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 15:14:24 -0500, Curtis Scholl
wrote:

Cla

Looking at the calculations for the spar, spar.pdf I do not see your
interpretation. The 67000 psi value is Bearing Ultimate, not tensile.

A MATWEB lookup is in order:

6061-T6

Tensile ultimate: 45000
Tensile yield : 39000

Bearing ultimate: 88000
Bearing Yield : 56000

The values presented in the spar calculation are correct, and the
bearing ultimate of 67000 is below spec.

Thjat may well be true, but is "bearing strength" the proper
charachteristic of the material to be used in this calculation?

As I said - not an engineer - just asking.
Please explain for the rest of us how the bearing ultimate and / or
yeild values impact the calculation, vs tensile.
Old February 27th 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

wrote:

Cla

Looking at the calculations for the spar, spar.pdf I do not see your
interpretation. The 67000 psi value is Bearing Ultimate, not tensile.

A MATWEB lookup is in order:

6061-T6

Tensile ultimate: 45000
Tensile yield : 39000

Bearing ultimate: 88000
Bearing Yield : 56000

The values presented in the spar calculation are correct, and the
bearing ultimate of 67000 is below spec.

Thjat may well be true, but is "bearing strength" the proper
charachteristic of the material to be used in this calculation?

As I said - not an engineer - just asking.
Please explain for the rest of us how the bearing ultimate and / or
yeild values impact the calculation, vs tensile.

bearing strength

The maximum bearing load at failure divided by the effective bearing
area.
In a pinned or riveted joint, the effective area is calculated as the
product of the diameter of the hole and the thickness of the bearing
member. ASM, 1

How does this impact the failure of the wing structure by buckling and
failure of the main spar???
Old February 27th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Cla

Bearing properties are used when designing mechanically fastened joints.
The purpose of a bearing test is to determine the the deformation of a
hole as a function of the applied bearing stress. The test specimen is
basically a piece of sheet or plate with a carefully prepared hole some
standard distance from the edge. Edge-to-hole diameter ratios of 1.5 and
2.0 are common. A hardened pin is inserted through the hole and an AXIAL
load applied to the specimen and the pin. The bearing stress is computed
by dividing the load applied to the pin, which bears against the edge of
the hole, by the bearing area (the product of the pin diameter and the
sheet or plate thickness).

Different axis and on edge rather than in tension or compression. The
flat surface described by the hole in the part as it passes through the
thickness of the tube or plate of the hole. The stress is spread through
the material differently.

Curtis S.

And I am not an engineer either, I make rocket motors, and need this
information constantly.

Old February 28th 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 16:38:44 -0500, Curtis Scholl
wrote:

[...]

I understand what the bearing strength is - I'm just saying it is the
wrong strength to design to when designing the wing, as the
compressive, shear, and tension strengths more realistically represent
the loads in the wing.

If you substitute the tensile strength numbers into the calculations,
I'll bet you find the wing fails around 2 Gs, which is what the test
found.

Richard Lamb and the Texas Parasol Plans ...and Sirius Aviation Richard Lamb Home Built 12 August 9th 05 08:00 PM
want to trade 601 plans for 701 plans [email protected] Home Built 0 January 27th 05 08:50 PM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 05:26 PM
Texas Soars into Aviation History A Piloting 7 December 17th 03 03:09 AM
good book about prisoners of war Jim Atkins Military Aviation 16 August 1st 03 10:18 AM