USB to Serial adapter to SN10 Success Report

Old July 6th 12, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
YourNameHere

Default USB to Serial adapter to SN10 Success Report

After several days trying to get Windows 7 64 bit to connect to an SN10
via a USB to Serial adapter (Dynex), here is what finally worked great.

Posting this so folks don't have to go through discovery.

USB to Serial Adapter made by Keyspan (model USA-19HS) with Keyspan
Windows 7 driver.
SN10B with firmware 2.36
Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

Old July 7th 12, 12:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You should have just bought the USB adapter from Paul R and you would never have to deal with all that other stuff, just a USB stick.
Glen
Old July 21st 12, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

I can't get the Keyspan USA-19HS USB to serial adapter to work with an SN10.
It connects, but waypoint transfer attempts failed.

I am using Windows 7 64-bit with the appropriate drivers from Keyspan.

The Keyspan adapter works great for me with all other soaring instruments -
just not the SN10. The same was true for me with Windows Vista 32-bit.

In the past I had used and recommended the Belkin F5U409 USB adapter for use
with ILEC SN10 units. It worked great for me with Windows Vista 32-bit.
But Belkin doesn't provide drivers for Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit).

Does anyone have any suggestions for connecting a Windows 7 64-bit machine
to an SN10?

Of course, the ILEC SN10 USB adapter makes this all unnecessary, but I get
this question from customers often and want to be able to recommend a
solution for them that costs less than the very nice, but expensive ILEC
option.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old July 21st 12, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

This is an update to the note below.

Dave Nadler reports that the USB adapter in the link below is said to work
with the SN10. I have ordered one to test. I'll update my web site after I
test it.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003N9TYW0/...C1_cs_sce_dp_2

Also, I found the post below from Walt Rogers with links to USB adapters
that he says work with his SN10.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

FYI, recently I upgraded my notebook to Windows 7 64bit. I've found a good
reliable USB serial convertor that works "out of the box" on Windows 7 even
the 64 bit version.

USB to Serial Adapter - Mini PRO - $27.50

http://www.usconverters.com/index.ph...ducts _id=244

Another one almost identical but with a cable

USB to Serial Adapter - Professional - $34.95

http://www.usconverters.com/index.ph...ducts _id=325

This convertor has a very well written device driver that is maintained and
kept up to date. My older Belkin convertor stopped working when I changed to
Windows 7 64bit. Also, it wouldn't work on my Volkslogger, so I had to use a
PCMIA serial card with WinXP (the PCMIA card doesn't work anymore in Windows
7 64bit).

These USB serial convertors from usconverters.com work just fine on
everything I need (Volkslogger and SN10B software/waypoints loading). With
the Volkslogger, download used to be extremely slow. Now, I've found a
driver
setting on the Mini PRO which speeds up the download! It was a "Latency
Timer" (msec) changed from 16 to 1.

So... if you're having problems with USB to RS232 convertors, give these a
try.

Walt Rogers, WX

Old July 22nd 12, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
YourNameHere

Paul,
Here is the driver I am using with my keyspan usa-19hs with windows 7 64
bit. It worked great for me and my SN10B 2.36.

http://www.tripplite.com/shared/soft...64-bit)_v4.zip