Hangar Queen Owners -- WHY?

Old September 25th 18, 02:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Hangar Queen Owners -- WHY?

On Saturday, January 29, 2000 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Jay Honeck wrote:
I have a question that has been bugging me for years, and this forum is a
large enough cross-section of pilots to MAYBE get a statistically meaningful
response:

WHY do people own "hangar queens"?

There are approximately 200 planes based on our field. Of those 200,
probably 150 have not moved in the 3 years we've lived here -- even in the
summer.

Now, I'm sure SOME of those 150 have moved when I'm not around to witness
it. But with the snow on the ground, it's pretty easy to discern activity.
Most of the hangars haven't been opened in a over a month.

(Now, I know many pilots "hang it up" in the winter -- which makes me wonder
about their proficiency in the spring! -- but I'm talking about these planes
NEVER moving -- ever.)

My family spends part of every day at the airport. We fly our Warrior every
couple of days, all year round. At first I wasn't willing to believe this
inactivity, but I have checked with the line guys over an extended period of
time to verify my numbers. These planes are simply in storage, for all
intents and purposes.

WHY would someone tie up between $30K - $150K in a hangar queen, and then
pay $125 - $200 per month for the privilege of doing so? And would YOU fly
a plane that is only run every other year? (Month?)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

As an airport commissioner, I see this all the time. The problem with hanger queens is they are not kept current, occupy space an active pilot could use, and since they get no maintenance they make the airport look like a junk yard. We are looking at a requirement that any aircraft based at our airport must current and in condition to fly. Also aircraft must be washed 3 times a year and waxed once. An airplane must be flown every 6 months or it is subject to expulsion from the airport. Hanger space is at a premium in our area and we want people who are actually flying to use it. WE ARE NOT RUNNING A PARKING LOT OR STORAGE YARD. We have about 25 planes to kick out and have a waiting list of people who want to use them. People just letting these hanger queens sit are not pilots they are hoarders and it needs to stop..
Old September 25th 18, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:
[...]

Do you realize you are replying to a post that is 18 years old?

--
Jim Pennino
Old September 26th 18, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 06:10:21 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

In about 1997 I put a deposit down on the KSNA (Santa Ana, CA) hangar
list to be eligible for one when my name reached the top of the list.
In 2015 I requested a refund of my $150 deposit. In that time my
position on the list hovered around the 32 mark. It appears that
hangar lessees sublet "their" hangars at high rental rates beyond the
county fee at a substantial profit. I've heard there is a similar
situation occurring in marinas, where the value of the boat is
subordinate to the value of the slip.

With the ever shrinking number of airports in the NAS forcing aircraft
to find a new base from which to operate, available tiedown and hangar
space is in increasingly short supply. It's a dilemma likely to
worsen as time goes by. Oh well ...

Hangar Queen jfr Aviation Photos 3 August 28th 16 12:45 AM
Hangar Queen (1/2) David[_7_] Aviation Photos 1 March 31st 09 12:38 PM
Hangar Queen Eric Aviation Photos 0 April 19th 08 10:29 PM
Hangar Queen Eric Aviation Photos 0 April 19th 08 10:29 PM