ADSB panel display

Old October 8th 18, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ADSB panel display

My Trig22 now generates ADSB-out in my Experimental glider. I'd like to add a reasonable-cost adsb-in receiver and a bright panel-mounted traffic display (I can't see iphone or ipad screens here in the western sunlight). Any suggestions? I see the PingUSB adsb receiver ($200) and the AirAvionics ATD57 display ($575), but have been unable to find out if these systems will work together.
Old October 8th 18, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Hirashima

Have you seen an iPhone X display in sunlight? I find it perfectly readable. Technology is constantly improving...
Old October 8th 18, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Monday, October 8, 2018 at 11:26:23 AM UTC-7, wrote:
My Trig22 now generates ADSB-out in my Experimental glider. I'd like to add a reasonable-cost adsb-in receiver and a bright panel-mounted traffic display (I can't see iphone or ipad screens here in the western sunlight). Any suggestions? I see the PingUSB adsb receiver ($200) and the AirAvionics ATD57 display ($575), but have been unable to find out if these systems will work together.

This is pretty clear in the specs, and so many past discussions here. The AirAvionc display works with FLARM and Garmin TIS protocols. The PingUSB sends out GDL protocol (as used by many apps like ForeFlight). So nope will not work.
Old October 9th 18, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, October 8, 2018 at 3:31:41 PM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Monday, October 8, 2018 at 11:26:23 AM UTC-7, wrote:
My Trig22 now generates ADSB-out in my Experimental glider. I'd like to add a reasonable-cost adsb-in receiver and a bright panel-mounted traffic display (I can't see iphone or ipad screens here in the western sunlight). Any suggestions? I see the PingUSB adsb receiver ($200) and the AirAvionics ATD57 display ($575), but have been unable to find out if these systems will work together.

This is pretty clear in the specs, and so many past discussions here. The AirAvionc display works with FLARM and Garmin TIS protocols. The PingUSB sends out GDL protocol (as used by many apps like ForeFlight). So nope will not work.

I am surprised the ATD57 does not accept the common protocol used in the US for adsb.
Old October 9th 18, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, October 8, 2018 at 12:55:09 PM UTC-7, Ben Hirashima wrote:
Have you seen an iPhone X display in sunlight? I find it perfectly readable. Technology is constantly improving...

thank you Ben, I did look at an iphone X at max brightness, but didn't consider it any better than my iphone 8+. I do manage to use Foreflight on my iphone 8+, but it is a struggle, not what I call 'easily readable' in my cockpit, as my LX moving map is. I'm in Nevada, where the sun is very bright, even with a blue canopy. I want a panel mounted, dedicated, bright display for adsb targets.
Old October 9th 18, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Monday, October 8, 2018 at 5:14:16 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, October 8, 2018 at 12:55:09 PM UTC-7, Ben Hirashima wrote:
Have you seen an iPhone X display in sunlight? I find it perfectly readable. Technology is constantly improving...

thank you Ben, I did look at an iphone X at max brightness, but didn't consider it any better than my iphone 8+. I do manage to use Foreflight on my iphone 8+, but it is a struggle, not what I call 'easily readable' in my cockpit, as my LX moving map is. I'm in Nevada, where the sun is very bright, even with a blue canopy. I want a panel mounted, dedicated, bright display for adsb targets.

PowerFLARM connected to a AirAvionic ATD is likely the best you will get there.

No UAT In/TIS-B/ADS-R support, but them are the tradeoffs.
Old October 9th 18, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Monday, October 8, 2018 at 5:38:39 PM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Monday, October 8, 2018 at 5:14:16 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, October 8, 2018 at 12:55:09 PM UTC-7, Ben Hirashima wrote:
Have you seen an iPhone X display in sunlight? I find it perfectly readable. Technology is constantly improving...

thank you Ben, I did look at an iphone X at max brightness, but didn't consider it any better than my iphone 8+. I do manage to use Foreflight on my iphone 8+, but it is a struggle, not what I call 'easily readable' in my cockpit, as my LX moving map is. I'm in Nevada, where the sun is very bright, even with a blue canopy. I want a panel mounted, dedicated, bright display for adsb targets.

PowerFLARM connected to a AirAvionic ATD is likely the best you will get there.

No UAT In/TIS-B/ADS-R support, but them are the tradeoffs.

I have been flying with the Air-Avionis ATD for several years. It is the best and has many features.

http://www.craggyaero.com/air_traffic_display.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old October 9th 18, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, October 8, 2018 at 5:38:39 PM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Monday, October 8, 2018 at 5:14:16 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, October 8, 2018 at 12:55:09 PM UTC-7, Ben Hirashima wrote:
Have you seen an iPhone X display in sunlight? I find it perfectly readable. Technology is constantly improving...

thank you Ben, I did look at an iphone X at max brightness, but didn't consider it any better than my iphone 8+. I do manage to use Foreflight on my iphone 8+, but it is a struggle, not what I call 'easily readable' in my cockpit, as my LX moving map is. I'm in Nevada, where the sun is very bright, even with a blue canopy. I want a panel mounted, dedicated, bright display for adsb targets.

PowerFLARM connected to a AirAvionic ATD is likely the best you will get there.

No UAT In/TIS-B/ADS-R support, but them are the tradeoffs.

Its enormously more expensive to buy the AirAvionic adsb/flarm receiver that works with their ATD57, so I won't be doing that. I suspect AirAvionic is not providing an adsb protocol is some business reason they have to support Flarm. In my opinion, in the US, Flarm is a harmful distraction of money better spent on adsb.
Old October 9th 18, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

The dedicated 7 inch iFLYGPS 740b might be a choice. Takes the ADS-B In information from all kinds of sources, including the Stratux or FlightBox. Sold for $499 by

http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/12644

Quote: "New in the iFLY 740b
Sunlight Readability. Sunny days are no issue with the iFLY 740b and the brighter 1100 Nit 7-inch Touchscreen. Perfect for those bright open cockpits."

I myself have decided to use the iFLYGPS software (which I'm subscribed to) on the Galaxy Note8, on sale these days for under $600, with the 6.3 inch screen and up to 1200 nits brightness. What I like about the iFLYGPS app is - among many other useful features - the satellite images of all the airfields, helping to locate them if you have to land out.