Cooper-Harper Handling Qualities Rating Scale

Old February 8th 06, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Cooper-Harper Handling Qualities Rating Scale

1
Excellent Pilot compensation not a factor for
Highly Desirable desired performance

2
Good Pilot compensation not a factor for
Negligible deficiencies desired performance

3
Fair Minimal pilot compensation required
Some mildly for desired performance
Unpleasant deficiencies

4
Minor but annoying Desired performance requires moderate
Deficiencies pilot compensation.

5
Moderately objectionable Adequate performance requires considerable
Deficiencies pilot compensation

6
Very objectionable but Adequate performance requires extensive
Tolerable deficiencies pilot compensation

7
Major Deficiencies Adequate performance not attainable with
maximum tolerable pilot compensation.
Controllability not in question.

8
Major deficiencies Considerable pilot compensation is required
for control.

9
Major deficiencies Intense pilot compensation is required to retain
control.

10
Major Deficiencies Control will be lost during some portion of
required operations.

Old February 8th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Geez... Ya mean my plane rates at 9.5?

Gulp....

Harry

Old February 8th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Nothing to add, I just thought I'd post a version reformatted so that
it doesn't rely on tabs to establish columns:

1 Excellent
Highly Desirable
Pilot compensation not a factor for desired performance

2 Good
Pilot compensation not a factor for desired performance
Negligible deficiencies

3 Fair
Minimal pilot compensation required for desired performance
Some mildly Unpleasant deficiencies

4
Minor but annoying Deficiencies
Desired performance requires moderate pilot compensation.

5
Moderately objectionable Deficiencies
Adequate performance requires considerable pilot compensation

6
Very objectionable but Tolerable deficiencies
Adequate performance requires extensive pilot compensation

7
Major Deficiencies
Adequate performance not attainable with maximum tolerable pilot
compensation. Controllability not in question.

8
Major deficiencies
Considerable pilot compensation is required for control.

9
Major deficiencies
Intense pilot compensation is required to retain control.

10
Major Deficiencies
Control will be lost during some portion of required operations.

Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24

Old February 8th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

wright1902glider wrote:
Geez... Ya mean my plane rates at 9.5?

Gulp....

Harry

Hi Harry,

WAY back then, just getting airborne and back down again
safely would rate it as a 1.

Times have definitely changed....

Richard
Old February 8th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Bob Kuykendall" wrote in message
oups.com...
Nothing to add, I just thought I'd post a version reformatted so that
it doesn't rely on tabs to establish columns:

Thanks. I was not quite sure what order some of them were to go in, With
the Somewhat random Use of capital Letters. ;-)
--
Jim in NC

Old February 8th 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Richard,

Now that you mention it, I guess it was the #1 of its day. After all,
it could both bank AND turn! Imagine that! Of course, every other
flying machine of the day was a 10+.

Makes me wonder where a Gee Bee rates on the scale though.

Harry "mother of all airplanes" Frey

Old February 9th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

wright1902glider wrote:
Richard,

Now that you mention it, I guess it was the #1 of its day. After all,
it could both bank AND turn! Imagine that! Of course, every other
flying machine of the day was a 10+.

Makes me wonder where a Gee Bee rates on the scale though.

Harry "mother of all airplanes" Frey

I think that would depend on who is flying the Gee Bee.

Doolitle managed to fly it and survived, but he was about the
only one (back then). I always suspected it had something
to do with the pilot(?).

Richard

Old February 10th 06, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Richard Lamb wrote:

control.

10
Major Deficiencies Control will be lost during some portion of
required operations.

Pretty much describes my sex life...
Old February 13th 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"wright1902glider" wrote in message
oups.com...
Richard,

Now that you mention it, I guess it was the #1 of its day. After all,
it could both bank AND turn! Imagine that! Of course, every other
flying machine of the day was a 10+.

Makes me wonder where a Gee Bee rates on the scale though.

Harry "mother of all airplanes" Frey

Actually, the Gee Bee isn't all that bad. Better than my old Stits
Playmate! It had a top speed in level flight of 110 mph and the first
indication of an approaching stall was an uncontrolled snap roll to the
right at 98 mph! I had to dive down final at full throttle in order to get
Vso + 30 % that they recommend for approach speed! :-)

Highflyer
Highflight Aviation Services
Pinckneyville Airport ( PJY )

10th Annual rec.aviation flyin at Pinckneyville May 19, 20, and 21. Email
Mary at if you are planning to come or we may not have
groceries for you for lunch and dinner! :-)