trailers: fiberglass vs. metal

Old January 8th 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default trailers: fiberglass vs. metal

What is the conventional wisdom on fiberglass top trailers? I've never had
any experience with one. Should I keep it this way and stay away from it by
all means? Or is it OK, really, and not much worse than Al top? How long do
they last and how much maintenance require? What are the pros and cons of
each? I'd think that metal is more durable and virtually maintenance free,
while glass may be a bit lighter. Anything else? Thanks! -- Y

Old January 8th 06, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yuliy Gerchikov wrote:
What is the conventional wisdom on fiberglass top trailers? I've never had
any experience with one. Should I keep it this way and stay away from it by
all means? Or is it OK, really, and not much worse than Al top? How long do
they last and how much maintenance require? What are the pros and cons of
each? I'd think that metal is more durable and virtually maintenance free,
while glass may be a bit lighter. Anything else? Thanks! -- Y

My fiberglass trailer is only 29 years old so I can't comment on
durability. :-) It did get repainted about 5 years ago.
Some claim UV light can penetrate a fiberglass top and that the
accumulated irradiation of the glider will cause damage to the ship. I
used to fly at Boulder, CO where all of the trailers are parked oriented
nearly east-west exposing a long southern face to the Colorado sunshine.
Trailers occupy the same spot for years on end, and, not that I've
taken a poll, but I've never heard of any ships with damage to the top
of one wing and the bottom of the other, or one side of the fuse or fin
due to a fiberglass top.

Shawn
Old January 8th 06, 05:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"Shawn" sdotherecurry@bresnannextdotnet wrote:
Some claim UV light can penetrate a fiberglass top and that the
accumulated irradiation of the glider will cause damage to the ship. I
used to fly at Boulder, CO where all of the trailers are parked oriented
nearly east-west exposing a long southern face to the Colorado sunshine.
Trailers occupy the same spot for years on end, and, not that I've taken a
poll, but I've never heard of any ships with damage to the top of one wing
and the bottom of the other, or one side of the fuse or fin due to a
fiberglass top.

Could it be because sun in Colorado in summer shines straight DOWN?
Seriously though, can fiberglass top be painted with aluminum silver (inside
or outside) for added UV protection?

Shawn

Old January 8th 06, 06:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yuliy Gerchikov wrote:
What is the conventional wisdom on fiberglass top trailers? I've never had
any experience with one. Should I keep it this way and stay away from it by
all means? Or is it OK, really, and not much worse than Al top? How long do
they last and how much maintenance require? What are the pros and cons of
each? I'd think that metal is more durable and virtually maintenance free,
while glass may be a bit lighter.

Better check with the manufacturer - I think the aluminum Cobra trailer
top is lighter than a fiberglass top.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old January 8th 06, 07:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message
I'd think that metal is more durable and virtually maintenance free,
while glass may be a bit lighter.

Better check with the manufacturer - I think the aluminum Cobra trailer
top is lighter than a fiberglass top.

Gee, there goes the only advantage I could think of...

Eric Greenwell

Old January 8th 06, 10:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

In article , Yuliy Gerchikov
writes
What is the conventional wisdom on fiberglass top trailers? I've never had
any experience with one. Should I keep it this way and stay away from it by
all means? Or is it OK, really, and not much worse than Al top? How long do
they last and how much maintenance require? What are the pros and cons of
each? I'd think that metal is more durable and virtually maintenance free,
while glass may be a bit lighter. Anything else? Thanks! -- Y

I don't know what the conventional wisdom (equals what other
people think) re glassfibre top trailers is, but perhaps my experience
might be helpful.

We had a trailer which was built of G.R.P on a steel tube frame.
Not a lift top design, more of a box. Our syndicate kept our wooden
glider in this for over 20 years, it was always dry. We couldn't tow
much more than 60mph with it, behind a Volvo 245.

Ten years ago we bought a more modern sailplane in a very
convenient, all metal lift top trailer. It tows much better, no problems
even at 70. But in the UK climate, it gets very damp in there,
particularly when it suddenly gets warmer after a cold snap.

I think the advantages of the more modern trailer outweigh the
disadvantages.

--
Mike Lindsay
Old January 8th 06, 12:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yuliy Gerchikov wrote:
What is the conventional wisdom on fiberglass top trailers? I've never had
any experience with one. Should I keep it this way and stay away from it by
all means? Or is it OK, really, and not much worse than Al top? How long do
they last and how much maintenance require? What are the pros and cons of
each? I'd think that metal is more durable and virtually maintenance free,
while glass may be a bit lighter. Anything else? Thanks! -- Y

My trailer is a 1971 Manufacture glass fibre top, steel tube chassis with a ply
floor. It as thus far endured 35 years of the South African sun without
significant deterioration of the (phenolic resin) glass.

The steel tubes had some surface rust, which I treated two years ago, and at the
same time repainted the glass with 2K. The paint job was largely for cosmetic
reasons as a previous owner had ripped a hole in the side and repaired it with
duct tape and textured wall paint...

The part of the trailer that is disintegrating is the plywood floor.

I seriously doubt there is any meaningful penetration of UV - the gel goat and /
or paint will stop this. I for some obscure reason you have a transparent glass
top, then it would be advisable to paint or gel coat it.

For what it is worth the glider stays dry and cool in the glass trailer, and it
tows pretty well. I can't vouch for an aluminium trailer, but my trailer grosses
out at 650Kg (weighed on a bridge) with a standard cirrus, and nothing else in
it. Said Cirrus is 212Kg so the trailer is 438Kg.

Tows easily behind a 1600cc (77Kw) hatchback, as the glass is streamlined.
(Hint - trailers with sharp corners are much more affected by crosswinds)

One disadvantage of the older glider trailers is the partial hinged top. This is
clumsy to open and the supports get in the way. The newer designs with their
full pop tops are far superior.

--
Bruce Greeff
Std Cirrus #57
Old January 8th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Comparing modern Cobra trailers the glass top is less expensive and
(subjective) looks better than the metal top. I would also expect the
glass top to be easier to repair in the event of minor damage. I have
no concern about UV penetration of the glass top. It is double
skinned.

The downside of the glass top is that the the finish does not seem to
last no matter how often it is polished and waxed. The dealer that
sold me my ship suggested it would be cheaper to repaint the top in 5
years that to have paid for the metal top. We'll see.

If buying a used trailer you should look for a problem common to both
types of top. The base of the top is a special aluminium (there I
said it) extrusion that carries the retainers for the wing spar
fittings. If the top is closed with the wing fittings not fully
forward the retainer hits the fittings and the side rail extrusions can
be badly damaged. I have seen several trailers with this problem,
including one that was delivered that way from the (sailplane) factory.

Andy (GY)