Midway museum - San Diego

Old October 13th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
mah

Default Midway museum - San Diego

Had a convention flier hit my desk with things to do when not in
sessions. Listed the usual SD destinations in shopping, Balboa Park
(and its aviation museum), Sea World.

One new item was the Midway carrier museum. Where is it moored and what
has it to offer?

Yes, I know I could do a web search but some folks in the groups
probably were involved in some way.

Thanks in advance.

MAH
Old October 13th 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
J.McEachen

I was there two weeks ago. She is tied up just east of the cruise ship
berths, a Victory ship is also there and some harbor tour boats (I am
from CT but it appears to be in the NE part of the harbor, my SD nephew
drove, there is parking on the pier next to Midway as well as a block
away.) The walking tour with headsets starts in the hangar bay, goes
forward to the forecastle, back through the hangar bay, down to the mess
decks, an enlisted berthing space, one main machinery room, sick bay,
senior officers wardroom, chief's mess, back up to the hangar bay with a
gift shop and cafe on the fantail, up to the flight deck with many a/c,
small group tours to the island and bridge. Well worth the trip. I kept
comparing her to my Forrestal, not fair as the Midways started out as
converted BB hulls. At this stage in life, anything Navy or Naval Air
gets the adrenalin pumping and the memories flowing.
J.McEachen

Old October 13th 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Ian MacLure

mah wrote in :

Had a convention flier hit my desk with things to do when not in
sessions. Listed the usual SD destinations in shopping, Balboa Park
(and its aviation museum), Sea World.

One new item was the Midway carrier museum. Where is it moored and what
has it to offer?

Yes, I know I could do a web search but some folks in the groups
probably were involved in some way.

Its down at the foot of Broadway.
Very hard to miss being as the area is flat and its the
only aircraft carrier on that side of the harbo(u)r.

IBM
Old October 13th 06, 05:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
John[_8_]

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 19:39:10 -0500, mah wrote:

One new item was the Midway carrier museum. Where is it moored and what
has it to offer?

If you are going to be at the convention center, it is to your left as
you come out - towards the airport. About a mile, I would guess.
Basically right downtown. If you leave the airport on Harbor Drive
(going south, or left from the airport) it is about 2 miles, give or
take a bit.

There is also the ship (the "Rose" I believe) that was used in the
filming of "Master and Commander" you can tour. Pretty good tour - you
learn a lot about how the ship was modified and how things got done to
fool the camera.

On either side of the "Rose" is a ferry and a clipper both open for
tours. Worth the money all around.

Couple of excellent resturants there as well.

If you can get to Balboa Park (where the zoo is) there is also an
excellent aviation museum up there.

John Alger USN(ret)
1972-1997 // 1310,1320
TA-4J, A-7E, EC-130Q, P-3B
Old October 13th 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Andrew C. Toppan

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 02:45:21 GMT, "J.McEachen"
wrote:

comparing her to my Forrestal, not fair as the Midways started out as
converted BB hulls.

They did not!

The US Navy never convered a battleship to a carrier. Ever.

Old October 14th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
William Hughes

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 02:45:21 GMT, in rec.aviation.military
"J.McEachen" wrote:

I kept
comparing her to my Forrestal, not fair as the Midways started out as
converted BB hulls.

Uhh... which battleships, exactly?

(Warning: trick question)

--
William Hughes, San Antonio, Texas:
The Carrier Project:
Old October 14th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
ChuckW

Correct, but the Midway class did use the Montana class hull design as
a starting point.

Chuck W
www.atomicturtle.net

Sharc, NAR Section 613
www.flysharc.org

Sharc, we fly rockets so you don't have to!
Old October 14th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval

ChuckW wrote:
Correct, but the Midway class did use the Montana class hull design as
a starting point.

sNIP

Sorry, buty no.

While the Montanas were of the same generation as the Midways but had a
standard displacment of 60,500 tons while the Midway's was 45,0000 and
had a substantially differnt hull design. What was derived from the
battleship design was the machinery, the 212,000 SHP powerplant being
almost identical to the Iowas. The Momtanas had 172,000 SHP plants. See
Friedman's definitive works, "US Battleships" & "US Airvraft Carriers"

Old October 14th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
J.McEachen

Well, there is an exhibit on the hangar deck that states this. Next trip
I'll photograph it and send it to you. "Montana" rings a bell with me.
The post below stating "design" rings a bell, but the shape sure isn't
like Forrestal. While this exhibit on the hull origins looks factual, I
did bite my tongue when the bridge guide called the "blisters"
counterweights welded to the hull below the waterline to counterbalance
the weight topside.

Old October 14th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
J.McEachen

Well, I wasn't entirely wrong. I wish you had "corrected" me with facts
instead of merely sending an uninformative broadside. Have you joined
the Navy yet, or still wishing while watching Salem?

The product of the Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company,
she was the lead ship of three 45,000-ton Midway class CVBs, followed
by USS Franklin D. Roosevelt, CVB-42 and USS Coral Sea, CVB-43. Two
additional ships were canceled. Midway's keel was laid on October 27,
1943. The Midway class hull arrangement was modeled on the canceled
Montana class battleships and was a new, much larger design intended
to correct certain problems in the Essex class design. They had
armored flight decks, requiring a much larger hull and lower
freeboard, to reduce top weight. They also carried a very heavy AA
battery of 5/54 weapons. The armor requirement was originally meant
to counter 8" cruiser gunfire, but by the time the ships were laid
down the focus had shifted to defending against aircraft attack.